1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help: Aftermarket wheels and taller tires

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Dylan Decker, Mar 1, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Dylan Decker

Dylan Decker New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    1F1DC156-5CD6-429E-A905-72C2198C3426.jpeg

Hi there,

I just bought a 2017 Prius Three, and am new to the forum. I’ve read a lot of threads on here regarding larger wheels and tires, so apologies if this has already been nailed down, but I haven’t reached a conclusion yet.

First off: I understand and acknowledge that modifying the wheels and tires the way I’m hoping to will negatively impact MPG. My hope and goal in regards to this is to stay above 40mpg. This is still quadruple what my 1988 Land Cruiser gets, and I’ve done the math on how much $ I will be losing it it does drop to 40 (and I’m okay with it). I also know that the speedo can potentially be thrown off a tad as well depending on which tire selection I make. I’m okay with this as long as it’s not too significant, but if it will be please let me know.

With that being said, I’ve been looking at these wheels:

Liquid Metal Shadow - 17”

(I tried attaching a link but since I’m new it won’t let me)

A few weeks back I saw a Prius with the same company (Liquid Metal) wheels and it looked really good, so that’s where the inspo came from. I will attach a photo of that Prius to the post for reference. They look like they weigh roughly 23lbs per wheel. So, my first question is are these too heavy to achieve my goal, and would I be better off with a 16”?

And then for tires. I live near the beach, but my parents live in the mountains down a long dirt road. So even when it’s not snowing in the winter, I’m often driving down a rocky dirt road at least once a month. I would love to find a tire that gives me more clearance. I would also really like an aggressive tread if it won’t drop me below the 40mpg mark. From my research so far the most aggressive treads are from winter tires, which I would rather not drive year round. Hoping for a mild all-terrain if it’s out there.

I know it’s a lot ^, but any help or insight would be greatly appreciated. I know there are other cars out there that would be better suited for some of these needs, but I really love the Prius and if I’m able to get 40+ mpg and have it capable for these conditions then I’ll be even happier.

(Silver Prius photo is not mine, just has similar wheels to what I referenced)

Thank you!
    Dylan

#1 Dylan Decker, Mar 1, 2021
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 1, 2021