1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help!! almost all of the warning lights are on check engine , vsc,abs,the slippery tire thing, tria

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by ciro ochoa, Dec 14, 2021.

1. ciro ochoa

ciro ochoa Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    check engine , vsc,abs,the slippery tire thing, red triangle w exclamtion point, about 10 error codes, p1121, 1123, 1116, c0200, c0205, c 1242, c 1300, c1311,c1313, etc... i tried doing the jumper thing pin 4 and 5 to reset doesnt work , does this sound like a computer problem ? what to do?

2. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I"m not sure about the P1123, but the P116 and P1121 relate to the CHRS system. One is the position of the valve that controls the flow in and out of the coolant storage tank and the other is the temperature of the coolant at the tank. These are fairly common on the Gen 2 and I had to deal with them myself one time.

The "C" codes are communications chassis errors, which might mean that you just have a low 12V battery, but could also mean a corroded connector somewhere. I'm not familiar enough with those codes to help you there. (edit to add: thanks @ChapmanF for the clarification. I had a bit of a brain cramp.)

#2 jerrymildred, Dec 27, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2021
  3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    C is for "chassis" in code-speak; those codes come from things like the brakes, steering, and so on. P ("powertrain") codes come from the engine and transmission. Communication codes start with U, for whatever reason. ("commUnication"?)

C0200 and C0205 come from the brake/skid ECU and have to do with wheel speed sensors on the front wheels, or with the wiring from them to the ECU. C0200 is the front right and C0205 the front left. Some common issue in the wiring might be likely when both codes are set.

C1242 is about power getting to the brake/skid ECU. For redundancy, this computer is built as "system 1" and "system 2" and they have separate power supply terminals, IG1 and IG2, supplied by separate relays, and the two systems monitor each other. There is an "INF" subcode of the C1242 code that you can read with a good-enough scan tool. If it is INF 87, that means there was a stretch of at least four seconds where system 2 had power but system 1 didn't. If it is 88 it's vice versa, there was a ≥ 4 second stretch where system 1 had power but not system 2.

C1300 does indicate that the brake/skid ECU failed a self-check, so it doesn't trust itself. That could mean a problem with the ECU, but I would try to get to the bottom of any power problems first, then see if this code comes back.

C1311 and C1313 are also about power inputs to the brake/skid ECU, but these two (BS1 and BS2) are downstream of the backup-power capacitor box that lives in the back of the car next to the 12 volt battery.

You can look up what all these codes mean in the repair manual (more info), and more importantly when you look them up there you also find usually multiple pages of troubleshooting steps you can use to get the rest of the story.

As at least four of those codes have to do, in one way or another, power getting to the brake/skid ECU, I would probably have a meter out and be checking everything on the way from the 12 volt battery to that ECU to spot any issues there.

You mentioned some etc... codes too, but I wasn't able to look those up.

jerrymildred likes this.