1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

help!........ and greetings!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by evallded, Nov 28, 2017.

1. evallded

evallded Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hey, thanks for the reply. I was hoping for a loose connection somewhere but so far to no avail. I have everything disconnected right now and the hybrid system out so as to see further in the back (though it did me little good) There are 2 connectors on the park motor and only 1 of which has a lead. Searching out all of the pictures I can find online I dont see any with this one connected to anything. In the mean time you are correct and I was meaning to double check the fluids

Attached Files:

2. evallded

evallded Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Does it also require software?

3. evallded

evallded Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two

4. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My bought new Yellowtop lasted 3 years. They gave me a brand new one.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  5. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, most mini-vci cables will ship with a cd-rom containing the toyota 'techstream' software (might be displayed in a product image, or listed in the product description) . If no cd is included, then a web link to download from is usually offered post purchase.

You can find links to the software on most file sites and many other toyota forums as well.

Even download.cnet.com has an older version up, not sure if that is the lite version of TS or not.

#25 SFO, Nov 29, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2017
    Raytheeagle likes this.
  6. evallded

evallded Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thank you, I am looking into them now but it appears many of them have connectivity issues? Mixed reviews so it is hard to say who just couldn't figure it out and who was having legit problems. Also it appears that some of the cables are for older systems so I guess it will take some homework to figure these out.

7. evallded

evallded Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Does anybody know off the top of their heads if there should be a connector on both of the connections coming out of the parking motor. Picture below was found online but there does not seem to be a pigtail for the second connection

Attached Files:

8. evallded

evallded Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    OK, I am swimming in information and options, I know there are 100 posts about these but after hours of reading I am unsure of what to buy. I found what seemed like it would be the good one on Amazon but the seller told me he would recommend an updated one because the current one wont do ABS or TPM....I am not real worried about those but......

Mine is a 2006 Prius, does anyone have a direct recommendation? I dont mind finding an old laptop to use it with but really need one soon. Thanks in advance

9. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You need to look at it this way, these things are plentiful and cheap, so you can afford to buy a few before you have spent as much as the next cheapest option, VxDiag Nano for Toyota. If you feel patriotic you could spend a bit more than that for a USA designed and supported option, Openport.

All of this needs to be tempered with the knowledge that the recommended cable, the Mongoose, is circa $450.

You need to weigh up the options and your personal threshold for pain, then dive in.

PS, the VxDiag and Openport install easier, work more reliably and have faster update rates than the cheaper MVCI, which is worth more than money in ongoing satisfaction.

Your "but......" says it all. You don't know what you'll need in the future, but you can be sure needing access to the ABS ECU is somewhere in your future.

#29 dolj, Nov 29, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
    SFO likes this.
  10. evallded

evallded Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I agree however my real cost at this point is a down car. I dont mind putting whatever money is needed into the car, in parts. But downtime is a killer.

I am glad you mentioned these, while there is so much talk about these VCI cables, the trouble in use is not something I have the patience for. My current bluetooth one will not connect half the time and as everyone knows little things like that through the course of a project adds up too quick. And to be honest I would rather spend a little more and get something great and reliable....just so long as that is what it is:)

SFO likes this.
  11. evallded

evallded Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Ok, I pulled the trigger on the VCX Nano. It should be here in a couple days. In the meantime my girlfriend mentions to me (of course 1 week later) that the car was revving high but not going like it should have been on the day this all went down. I spent a few hours in the garage today playing around with it and from pulling the fuse I was able to get it into ready mode a few times but always with the triangle and beeping, OMG the beeping!!! With the car lifted on jack-stands I was able to put it in drive and get the tires spinning, at an idle the passenger side was barely doing anything while the driver side was buzzing right along. And I am pretty sure that while in reverse there was some grinding noise but I cant be 100% on from what as the traction control was kicking in all the time and the VSC light was on as well if that means anything.

SFO likes this.