1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

[HELP] Android head unit backup camera

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by BigBear2010, Oct 28, 2016.

1. BigBear2010

BigBear2010 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I bought this head unit not too long ago. Everything works fine, but the only problem I have is the backup camera screen does not automatic switch up (my camera cable plug in Reserve wire). I did recheck everything, but still have the problem. When I plug in the camera cable to AV-IN, I can see whatever from behind the car, but I have to click on the AV-IN icon every single time I want to use. It is really annoying. Any idea how to fix it?

*Edit: there is a reserve wire from the back of the head unit with label "reserve wire". I did not use this wire. Do I suppose to use this wire ?
    Thanks

#1 BigBear2010, Oct 28, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2016
  2. Dylan Doxey

Dylan Doxey Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    This diagram saved me when I was trying to figure this stuff out.

[​IMG]

See "REV" on pin 2? That's where you stick the "reverse wire".

Daigi_ likes this.
  3. BigBear2010

BigBear2010 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    So i must connect the reverse wire to power the camera in order for it to automatic switch ?

4. Dylan Doxey

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    This diagram represents the connector interface that Toyota provides. You need to make the "reverse" signal wire from your head unit connect to the "rev" signal that Toyota provides.

Here is a connector that probably resembles the one that comes out of the back of your head unit.

[​IMG]

You need to arrange for the head unit reverse wire to meet up with pin 2 of the Toyota connector.

Daigi_ likes this.
  5. BigBear2010

BigBear2010 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I contacted the seller, he sent me a picture of wiring connection (please look at the attachment file). I tried to do it, but it seems the camera does not get any power from the reverse wire coming from the back of the head unit.

I tried to use the diagram above, but I am not sure it is for 2010 prius, since my wiring harness like this:
    [​IMG]
    Mine only has 20 pins, while the diagram above has 28 pins

Attached Files:

6. Dylan Doxey

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The stereo connectors had some variation from 2013 to 2014, which forced me to get creative. I've shared my experience. But it looks like your 2010 is a little different still.

If you're not aware of it, the authoritative source for information on Toyota electrical is techinfo.toyota.com. It costs a few bucks to set up an account and get two days of access. I've done it before for other reasons.

BigBear2010 likes this.
  7. Air0ne

Air0ne Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Guys,

I have too an android unit. I'm trying to connect an aftermarket camera (sold by the same seller of my android unit) and was wondering how to do it properly.

I got a wire coming from my android labeled REV-IN
    I got a red wire coming from the yellow RCA of my aftermarket camera

In the picture above, it says to connect these 2... but do we need after to connect both of them to the pin 2?

Thx a lot

Attached Files:

• 01.jpg
      01.jpg
      File size:
      82.1 KB
      Views:
  8. Werwooolf

Werwooolf Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Hi BigBear2010,
    were you able to find the solution? I have exactly the same problem - can get reverse video when connected to AV-IN, but nothing when using "cam in" connection. Also have a spare "rev-in" cable not connected to anything. I have the unit with canbus box, so most of harness is different from the regular set-ups.