1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help! Battery is dead!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by binka34, Jan 23, 2017.

1. binka34

binka34 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yesterday I tried to jump my girlfriend's car. I stupidly connected the jumper cables to my car instead of her car (the dead battery). When I connected the jumper cables to her car my car instantly died. I did encounter some sparks. I eventually got a jump from another vehicle however the car's battery will not hold a charge. When I got back to my girlfriend's place, I turned the car off and to check it I wanted to try and turn it back on. I could not turn it on. Today I got a jump from my girlfriend's car and drove roughly an hour. Everything was fine while I drove. When I turned it off again, I again tried to turn it on but it was dead. I am guessing it has to do with the alternator or something? Any ideas? In need of help! Any information would be greatly appreciated.

2. Moving Right Along

Moving Right Along Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sounds like there's a decent chance you fried your 12v battery, which is used to start the car. I'd look into getting a new one. From what I've read, there's also a fuse you might need to get checked out.

3. binka34

binka34 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you I appreciate it! I literally know nothing.... Do you know how much these cost?

4. Moving Right Along

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I believe the 12v battery is between $180-$220, depending on location. Not sure how much the fuse costs, but if you don't know how to check it, I'd take it into a shop or dealership where they know about hybrids and have them check. Just describe what happened and they'll probably have a good idea what to look for.

5. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    1) Never jump any car with your Prius, there is a good chance of frying a $4000 inverter if you hook up the cables badly. I use a portable Jump pack instead, $40

2) There is a fusible link ($60) that may have fried first, as designed. To my limited knowledge that will require towing to the dealer for most owners, but here is a thread with instructions How to change Fusible link under hood | PriusChat
    And the part Fusible Link - Toyota (82620-47040)

3) If you have damaged the 12 battery, you want an AGM battery with JIS posts and external venting. The buzzword for that is S46B24R expect over $150 (the Toyota dealer will have an 82 month warranty, last I knew)

#5 JimboPalmer, Jan 23, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2017
  6. Moving Right Along

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    From the linked thread:

JimboPalmer likes this.
  7. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Check the fuse on positive connection of the battery. With a bit of luck, you may have blown that. Use an Ohmmeter to check for continuity, don't just look at it.

Prius 12 V Battery Fuse.jpeg
    This picture is taken from the back seat looking back.

8. binka34

binka34 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    thanks all, i'll look at it tomorrow after work. hoping it is just the fuse!

9. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The main 120A fuse referred to by 3prongpaul is (I believe) the white square block immediately to the right of the 5 amp fuse in the picture of post #7.

10. binka34

binka34 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    is this under the hood or the one under the hatch?

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    in the hatch.

binka34 likes this.
  12. binka34

binka34 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    sorry last question, do i need to unhook the battery to change the fuse if it is the issue?

13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    not sure, but it never hurts. disconnect the negative lead and put a rag around it in case it accidentally moves.

14. binka34

binka34 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I checked this fuse and it was not this fuse and it has connectivity....

thinking it is the link fuse

15. Kevin_Denver

Kevin_Denver Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Check your resting car battery voltage. If it's below about 12.2V, your battery is bad (good batteries should be above 12.5V when fully charged). To me it sounds like your battery was probably really close to needing replacement. The additional stress of the jump likely reduced the capacity past the point where it can start the car. If the car starts fine when jumped from another car, it points to everything being okay except the battery. If the inverter wasn't working properly, I would expect the check engine and other lights to come on.

As others have stated - never jump start another car with the Prius. The only car a Prius can jump start is another Prius.

16. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This is actually not true. Resting voltage is only one metric to give a picture of the state of health of a battery. In isolation, all that that resting voltage shows is the battery is low and could do with being charged up. I'm not saying the battery is a picture of health, or indeed not toast, I'm just saying you can't make that statement based on that one metric.

The voltage under load is a more telling metric to use.

Also, a good AGM battery fully charged (and rested for a min of 2 hrs) can be in the range of 12.9 V - 13.2 V, but if it was in the range of 12.7 - 12.9 V that would be no worries either. It just indicates a bit of wear. 12.5 V indicates something in the realm of half charged.

17. Kevin_Denver

Kevin_Denver Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree that there's a lot more to measuring the battery's capacity than just the resting voltage. For the Prius, if the 12V can supply the 200-300W the ECUs draw for a few seconds before the inverter starts without a serious voltage drop, the car will start. However the OP is likely not a battery expert. If the car was driven in the past few days for a decent amount of time, the inverter should have charged the battery up to full capacity. A fully charged 12V lead acid battery with a resting voltage of 12.2 volts is bad. That certainly does not mean that if it has a 12.3V resting voltage it is not bad. In that case I would do a load test as you suggested. Most of those who have reported the voltages of their batteries that would not start their Prii have reported in the 11s.

18. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree with (almost) everything you have said. The prius will start (with that initial load you mentioned) right down to 10.5 V, however this is the territory where the "weird" things start to happen.

I was simply stating that the you cannot make the statement 12.2 V = bad.

You have now added all the assumptions you did not state to qualify your statement.

It is not good to make sweeping statements based on assumptions without stating your assumptions.

People who come here may not have the background to weigh up what is said, to "read between then lines." You make the statement "If it's below about 12.2V, your battery is bad" and people will take that at face value and lock that away as fact.

One example of your assumptions:
    While the statement stands on its own as true, you have no way of knowing the battery was fully charged, it was not stated, and is quite different to the statement you made in your post, which is why I challenged it.

#18 dolj, Jan 29, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2017