1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help! Battery losing charge!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by PriusHead05, Oct 26, 2020.

1. PriusHead05

PriusHead05 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I wanted to readjust my Prius in the driveway. I turned the car on. It had 4 bars on the SOC. I put it in reverse, dropped in the red zone to two bars. The ICE turned on to charge the battery. While reversing, the SOC dropped to one bar even though the ICE is charging the battery. This has happened a few times. What is the problem. Thanks!

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

2. PriusHead05

PriusHead05 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  3. PriusHead05

PriusHead05 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    When I started my Prius, the SOC was at 4 bars. I put the car in reverse and it dropped to two bars. Even though the ICE is on and charging the battery, the SOC is now at 1 bar. This has happened a few times and I am worried about it since I wasn't in reverse but less than a minute. Please help! It's a 2005 with 138,000 miles.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

4. davecook89t

davecook89t Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    The ICE cannot charge the HV battery in either Reverse or Neutral. For that reason, you should avoid leaving the shift lever in either of those positions for a long period of time. The SOC dropping to one bar should not, in itself, be a problem, but if you see it regularly dropping to that level and then quickly going up to 6 or 7 bars as you are driving, that is an indication that your HV battery is getting weak.

SFO likes this.
  5. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Your battery needs reconditioning... It's still healthy but operating at 50% capacity and needs to be restored to 96% via Prolong Battery Systems | Hybrid Automotive California, USA and here's more info about the science of that here: BU-807: How to Restore Nickel-based Batteries – Battery University

There's cheaper ways to recondition if you want to DIY it, but take a long time...

6. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    this symptom means you have weak hv battery. Next time you can start the car, wait until the car warms and engine stops and goes into hybrid mode. Then drive off. This usually will keep the HV battery from immediately dropping charge on the SOC

SFO, Raytheeagle and Aaron Vitolins like this.