1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help! Brake System Problem

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Redpoint5, Sep 15, 2016.

1. Redpoint5

Redpoint5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I just started my PiP after fully charging it, hooked up a small trailer and plugged in the pigtail. Then I moved the car 200 ft along the curb and parked. Realizing that I need to move forward a few more feet, I attempted to start the vehicle, but the brake pedal travels all the way to the floor, I have a traction control error, and the display says I need to depress the brake pedal to start.

The brake booster is making noise letting me know it's building up pressure, but the pedal travels to the floor. Brake fluid is right near the max, and nothing has been done to introduce air into the system.

What could be the cause of the braking system failure? I'm hoping to leave in 2 hours, so I hope to get to the bottom of this.

2. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Did your car have the brake booster pump recall?

3. IMkenNY

IMkenNY Im just being nosy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Disconnect the trailer light connector , look for a blown brake fuse.

bisco and Redpoint5 like this.
  4. Redpoint5

Redpoint5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    That was all it was. Thought the fuse was good because I checked the rear light fuse, but the one that was blown said brake on it. Not sure if that is the fuse for the brake system, or for the brake lights. I'll check for shorts in the trailer tomorrow.

The Traction Control light is still illuminated, so the car isn't entirely happy yet. Regen is still working correctly though, and normally it doesn't work when the traction control light is on.