1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help - Broken fog light switch

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by ItZGr8t!, Feb 21, 2017.

1. ItZGr8t!

ItZGr8t! Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    IV
    Already ordered 2 online but for some reason both started smoking :eek:.
    any help or guidance is greatly appropriated, link, spare or something? Ebay sellers won't even sell me just the switch.

Thanks guys.

2. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    How are you wiring the foglights? If you use a relay to switch power to your foglights, and you wire it properly, then the circuit that the switch is actually on only carries low current (milliamp) vs the high current foglight circuit (amps).

3. ItZGr8t!

ItZGr8t! Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    IV
    i have a feeling based on the instructions i got when i installed, i'm dealing with a high current setup. But the original switch lasted me almost 4yrs its just the internals started to fail & wont lock into place.

4. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It's always good practice, especially when wires are run through the firewall, and other pinch points, to use a relay to switch power to high current circuits which take power from the battery, or in the case of a Prius, from the engine fuse box.