1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help buying 2010/11 or 2012 facelift?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by elementnomore, Sep 22, 2013.

1. elementnomore

elementnomore Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Dear list,

I'm thinking of moving from a honda element to a gen iii prius and I'm torn between a 2010/11 or a 2012 prius. I live in Southern California (no rust) and need to buy used for budgetary reasons. I would like the latest technology as I've had my last car for 9 years. My question is are the differences between Bluetooth and LCD screen and headlights worth it? It looks like trim 3 you gain more keyless entry (2012) but loose audio quality. I seen a lot of great deals on 2010 IV trim cars with 40-55,000 on them. I really want keyless access to 3 doors.

I would like blizzard (pearl) paint with dark grey interior.

I will probably get seat covers for front seats (if they are cloth) to protect against sunblock/dirt from mountain biking.

I have an iPhone (calls/pandora streaming audio)

I will get the sunroof option.

I will use iphone for NAV

Leather can be added later via aftermarket kit.

I am 6'3 185

I could install aftermarket door speakers myself.

Thanks for your comments in advance!!

Ken

2. matt b.

matt b. Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I have the 2011 with all bells and whistles.
    With jbl system, built in nav, moonroof, heated seates, solar panel, leather seats, pearl white. I would get the "11" I luv all of the extras.
    You won't b sorry.
    I didn't want a stripped-down model so I think that's what you would get with the 12 so get one with a few miles on it that's broken in and get all these extras

elementnomore likes this.
  3. matt b.

matt b. Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I also live in Southern California

I'm thinking of moving from a honda element to a gen iii prius and I'm torn between a 2010/11 or a 2012 prius. I live in Southern California (no rust) and need to buy used for budgetary reasons. I would like the latest technology as I've had my last car for 9 years. My question is are the differences between Bluetooth and LCD screen and headlights worth it? It looks like trim 3 you gain more keyless entry (2012) but loose audio quality. I seen a lot of great deals on 2010 IV trim cars with 40-55,000 on them. I really want keyless access to 3 doors.

I would like blizzard (pearl) paint with dark grey interior.

I will probably get seat covers for front seats (if they are cloth) to protect against sunblock/dirt from mountain biking.

I have an iPhone (calls/pandora streaming audio)

I will get the sunroof option.

I will use iphone for NAV

Leather can be added later via aftermarket kit.

I am 6'3 185

I could install aftermarket door speakers myself.

Thanks for your comments in advance!!

Ken[/quote]

4. Vas25tl

Vas25tl Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I had a 2010 V and now have a 2012 V. Here are some of the main differences:

2012 has power drivers seat, 2010 did not
    2012 has the softex seats, i like this more than the leather in the 2010
    2012 has auto headlights, 2010 did not
    2012 has a different center council with both cup holders out, 2010 had one of them inside the council
    I LOVE the headlights on the 2012 compared to the 2010.
    I HATE the entune/navigation on the 2012, I liked my navi on the 2010 much more.
    And I found a blizzard pearl/dark gray interior, which is what I wanted in the first place but had to settle for Barcelona red/tan on the 2010.

5. elementnomore

elementnomore Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks Matt B!
    Thanks Vas25tl!
    I missed a VERY good deal today on a 2010 pearl with dark leather IV today and that is fine I have to sit in a 2012 and see the console difference. I was thinking that I could install the HIDs in the 2010. Interesting you like the 2010 NAV.

6. Vas25tl

Vas25tl Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I drive 3500-5000 miles/month, nav is an important thing and I just really don't like the new small screen (I don't have the advanced tech package so I have the smaller screen, not the HDD one; HDD one would be just fine).

7. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You're very tall so be VERY careful with the driver's seat: 'It ain't nearly the best in the business'.

The 2012 Four will get you the power seat and the power lumbar adjust with seat cushion tilt which the manual seat cannot in any way do. That could be the difference between not enough leg support/ too much or being able to adjust on the fly to your liking. My right knee was flopping over onto the floating bridge console due to lack of leg support. I got tired of it and built a clip on board which has helped a lot.

One more time - Prius is a small car. You are very tall, approach with caution. Lot of seat complaints, in fact one thread being added to now.

8. elementnomore

elementnomore Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks Cycledrum. I have been reading about comfort and height in the Prius. I will try out the 2012 Four seats to see what I think. I will look into the clip board. Thanks for the help!

9. Vas25tl

Vas25tl Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Oh and I should mention I'm 6'4" and 250LB....