1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help! Buying a Prius C Tomorrow

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Jon2490, Jun 5, 2020.

1. Jon2490

Jon2490 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    New here!
    I’m buying a 2012 Prius C with 128k miles, with one owner for $6k I’ve never had a hybrid car. I’ve done some research and I’ve seen mixed reviews about ten maintenance cost. I’m a recent college graduate, so I will need something that’s not expensive at all to maintain. Any advice? Is this a good deal?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!
    sorry we missed this. i would advise against a hybrid, am i too late?:unsure:

3. Jon2490

Jon2490 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    They’re holding the car for me until tomorrow! Could you please elaborate? I have family telling me no and yes, but they don’t know anything about hybrids or Prius’s

4. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Argh. Prius c good 2012 a lot less good. Hope the deal went sideways.

5. Jon2490

Jon2490 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    Are 2012 Prius C a bad make?

6. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    It's a mix of good and bad. The '12 is only lacking a very few details and touches that were added to the later models.
    A Prius c early in its life is freakishly inexpensive to maintain & operate, but the effect doesn't last.

The real issue is that the average 2012 Prius c is going to need a new hybrid battery soon, and that's pretty expensive.

Now these are just about the most reliable cars you're going to find in the USA, so that might be the only time you need major service in the years ahead. It's just that there's really no avoiding a battery replacement. Some last longer than others. Toyota put an 8 year warranty on them, so the 2012s are now falling off.

My comments are driven much more in response to your statement,
    ...than the car itself.

If you want an older car with low monthly operating expenses, a hybrid is a relatively poor choice. You'll never save enough on gasoline to make up for the expense of that battery pack.