1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help! Car died after battery replacement. Dealer now claiming "out of gas"!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by tarawow, Feb 20, 2014.

1. tarawow

tarawow Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ha ha, not a 65 year old guy. I just get steamed at the idea that I'm being taken advantage of by the dealership. That's driven me (no pun intended) to learn a lot about my car! These forums have been a serious boon to this girl.

Thanks again Patrick. Will get under the hood today and look at the engine air filter, MAF sensor, and throttle again, just to be sure. Spark plugs were changed at 120K.

Is there any chance this could be attributable to something that went wrong when they replaced the HV battery? A bad connection or something? I have to go into my indie shop soon to get the freon charged and I'll ask them to check the fuel rail pressure then too. I just don't want to drive myself crazy searching for a culprit if a likely explanation has something to do with the battery install.

2. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Well, it is impossible to tell but, the code they gave you does have as one of the symptoms out of fuel. It also does not have anything related directly to the HV battery.

I can (regrettably) tell you one thing from my experience with the Prius guess (gas) guage. I have run out of gas with 2 pips left before. Luckily, I was about 100 feet from a gas station when it happened. I was driving when the car suddenly died and all the warning lights popped up (CEL, Triangle etc). The first thing I thought was the battery finally went kaput on me. I pulled into the gas station under battery power, trying to decide what to do and noticed I only had two pips on the guage so I decided to just try to put gas in it. I filled it up and wa-la, it started, all but the CEL disappeared and the car ran fine. I drove it home with no issues and eventually, the CEL went away.

My point is that its not unheard of to run out of gas with 2 pips displayed.

PS: The story about the HD pictures of the TB to the technician is awesome. I would have loved to have seen the look on that guys face. Way to go. I love it!!!!!

3. tarawow

tarawow Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I hear that. But the numbers on the refueling just don't seem to point to that. Between the dealer and I, together we got only 7.6 gallons in there. If the tank were truly empty (and accounting for a 2 gallon inaccessible reserve due to the bladder), I imagine I still should have been able to get closer to 10 gallons in there. Again, maybe the gauge was off when I drove it before it died, maybe the mileage on this tank was low due to the battery issue, but that doesn't seem to explain why I could only get 7.6 gallons in there - on a regular fill up I'm putting 8-9 gallons in there!

I'm open to that though - maybe the simplest explanation really is the best. On a side note, it seems silly to me that the same warning lights come on when it's a battery issue vs. a fuel issue. Didn't even cross my mind that this could be a fuel issue, or I would have pulled into a gas station and refueled first! You'd think there'd be a different indicator.

I will definitely be more careful regarding fueling going forward...

usnavystgc likes this.
  4. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    It def seems silly that the lights are the same but, that is the case. And... trust me, it took me a long time of sitting in my car at the gas station b4 I decided to gas up.

I know the fuel consumption doesn't add up but, at this point, that seems the best explanation for it (esp. if the car runs great after adding fuel and you don't have future problems with it).

5. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II

I've never been able to get 10 gallons in my cars and I have 3 of them to test. On all my cars from 06 - 2010, I'll be lucky to get 8.5 gallons when I fill up with 1 or 2 pips remaining. Many times the pump will stop before it gets to 8 gallons.

I find this quite frustrating as I often read people getting 450-500 miles per fill up. With all my cars, I'll be lucky to get 400 miles before I have to fill up, all averaging around 45 mpg (based on the MFD's measurements).

So in your situation of getting 7.6 gallons into your car.....sounds like what I'm used to.

6. Tony D

Tony D Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I know that we don't have bladders here in Europe, but I got a little over 11us gallons the week before last. The bladder must really restrict capacity

7. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Have you had any other services done recently, oil change in particular? Overfilled oil can cause the issues you described.

8. FourWheels

FourWheels Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Tarawow, can you share the name of the indie shop in L.A. that you're happy with? I also use Marina del Rey for regular maintenance but am annoyed they wanted $110 to clean the MAF sensor plus $175 for a "decarbon cleaning" at 55,000 miles. Thank you!

9. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II

Wow, $285 dollars for those services? I would do it for $140 and make a house call. It's a 10 minute job.

10. FourWheels

FourWheels Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yep, that's SoCal for you. I did the MAF sensor cleaning myself (just $7 for the bottle of cleaner) but don't know what a "decarbon cleaning" is. It's not in the maintenance schedule, so I had them skip it.

11. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II

That's a fancy word for throttle body cleaning and possibly a bottle of gas treatment. If they called it anything else, they wouldn't be able to charge you $175. Damn these dealers are getting creative.

FourWheels likes this.
  12. FourWheels

FourWheels Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow, that's good to know. Thank you! I can clean the throttle body myself too and save some more $.

13. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II

You probably won't need to do the throttle body cleaning at your mileage. Even the MAF cleaning you did was probably not necessary, it probably looked the same after you cleaned it. No difference cause it was still free from carbon deposits.

14. dragonrand

dragonrand Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Wait, what? Back up!

How long is the warranty on the hybrid battery?? I've been dreading that its failure may be imminent (almost 250k on my '05). No signs of failure so far and milage is still good, but I assume it's just going to up and quit on me one day. If it's gonna fail, when do I want it to fail by??

15. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The warranty is 8 years/100K miles, whichever comes first. Your battery is past-due to die and when it does, you'll get to pay for a replacement.

The OP lives in California where the warranty is 10 years/150K miles.

16. dragonrand

dragonrand Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Ah, thanks Patrick. Didn't know CA had a different warranty.