1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

HELP!! car shuts down while driving

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by roostercruiser, Jul 7, 2013.

1. Eclipse1701d

Eclipse1701d Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    You're very lucky you had the extended warranty... That is probably the most expensive repair for a Prius. The thing that scares me though, is that they have been selling hybrids since 2003 and they didn't have the machine to diagnose them! Sounds sketchy to me....

2. Jesse Melara

Jesse Melara Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It did to me as well, that's why I jumped in my other car and drove down and asked for the manager and he showed me everything. The new transaxle is on its way and hopefully my car should be ready either by the end of the week or next.

3. Drdiesel

Drdiesel Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    What kind of warranty is it ? At least they're covering the component for you. Good luck!

4. Jesse Melara

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Just extended warranty. Nothing special. And yea I was reading up on it, some warranty companies only pay for 85% of the part. So I got lucky I guess

SPH-L710 ? 4

5. Andyprius1

Andyprius1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Are you dealing with a authorised Toyota dealership? The warranty is paid for by Toyota Motors. Should include everything. I am speaking of a factory warranty covering all drivetrain items. Prius does not have a transmisson, but a CVT, feeds energy inputs/outputs to and from HV battery, engine and wheels. It is integral to the HSI system.

6. Jesse Melara

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Not a warranty from Toyota, one that I bought with my car when I got it used. And from what I know, its not called a transmission but a transaxle. I'm new to prius and hybrid in General. But it was that that went bad.

SPH-L710 ? 4

7. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Even second hand you should still get the manufactures hybrid drive-train warranty.

Presumably the reason they sold you the additional warranty with the car is that the manufacturer warranty for most of the car had expired. The hybrid drive-train warranty however is longer, and this manufacturer warranty should still be in place.

Transaxle is a transmission. It's a name that's often given to the combination of the transmission and diff together in a front wheel drive car. The Prius transaxle is not like that of any conventional front wheel drive care however.

8. Jesse Melara

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I got my Prius back today...Car is running great!

9. Joe 26

Joe 26 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Good to hear!

10. Eclipse1701d

Eclipse1701d Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
  11. Jeffrey Jessup

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Even the HSI warranty has a limit on miles and time. Being an 2007, maybe the mileage was exceeded?