1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

HELP! Changing rear strut..can't get new one back in...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by danbirch, May 16, 2013.

1. danbirch

danbirch Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I've been (for the first time) changing my struts on my 08 prius, having read a couple of threads, have manual, etc. The fronts went in fairly easily, but I noticed that when taking out the rear (left), it (the spring) was under a fair amount of compression when it "dropped" out. I was thinking, "how will it go back in once I swap out the strut?".... Also, it seems to me that the stud/spindle is in the way, making it very difficult to get the strut back in as well. I believe I have the vehicle jacked up in the same manor that Patrick Wong shows, with the 2x4 under the axle, and a 2nd jack as well. What is the trick to get this back in??? Thanks!

2. ursle

ursle Gas miser

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    As you're working with a macpherson strut unit, try using a spring compressor, it compresses the spring allowing you to remove the strut, install the new one and re-install the spring, shouldn't be to tough to find one for rent, safety first...

danbirch likes this.
  3. danbirch

danbirch Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thank you. I have 2 spring compressors (same type as Patrick Wong showed). So If I understand, I'm supposed to install the spring compressor while removing the strut (and re-installing it) from the vehicle? I didn't need to do that with the front ones.

That makes sense, though, as long as the strut stays lined up while de-compressing it. I don't recall seeing any pics/instructions mentioning using the compressors while removing/installing the strut into the vehicle. Thanks!

4. Sfcyclist

Sfcyclist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    The rear's on the Gen 2 are struts? Gen 3 is a shock.

If it is a strut, you need to remove the strut assembly from the car first. Then in the strut assembly, compress spring, remove bolt then unload the spring from strut assembly.

5. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You do not need to have the spring compressors installed as you are reinstalling the rear shock/coil assembly. They would just get in the way.

You do need to adjust the floor jack holding up the axle so that you can reinstall the lower end of the assembly onto the threaded stud. It sounds like you need to slightly lower the jack so that you can reinstall the lower end first. Once you get the lower end on to the stud, then you can slightly raise up the jack to secure the upper shock mount to the body.

Also, I suggest that you remove and reinstall one side, before doing the other side. The reason for doing one side at a time is that you will have the other side to refer to if you need to be reminded what a correct installation looks like.

Good luck.

6. danbirch

danbirch Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks, Patrick!

I just finished, and you are right, the compressor tool would get in the way (hitting the top of the strut). My first problem was I was jacking up the axle. I ended up putting 1 jack under a strong part of the frame, (under the passanger's door) and as that jack lifted the frame, the axle was allowed to lower, taking out most of the compression. Then, I took my other jack (with a 2x4) and went under the strut and was able to raise/release pressure with it. With the upper bolts fairly loose, I was a able to easily bring the strut away from the stud, and down. Then, the opposite on the re-installation. All went well, was a (fun) learning experience, and the 2nd rear was WAY easier than the 1st rear (learning curve needed) strut. Thanks again! -Dan

7. Agape

Agape Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    using the very same technique we have removed an illegal clamp on my friend's vehicle, while jacked up the wheel lowered allowing for the space to use the long spanner to release the wheel from the bolts, spare wheel and you are sorted.