1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help check engine light

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by k barbieri, May 1, 2022.

1. k barbieri

k barbieri Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a 2008 with 40000 miles.
    My Toyota CC was stolen Aug ‘21.
    I replaced with an off market CC.
    I just had to replace that which was still under warranty.
    Now since the replacement had been replaced the check engine light went on.
    It’s running fine. what can be causing this?
    Help.., thanks
    I love my car!!

2. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Have you had a chance to read the OBD2 codes with a hybrid compatible OBD2 scanner?

3. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I would suspect the replacement catalytic converter is not doing it's job. Many of the aftermarket catalytic converters now don't work, that's why the prices are so low for the parts (usually around $100)

4. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If the check engine light is stuck on and not flashing its probaly an emissions failure probably the O2 sensor associated with the cat. They may have installed a cheapo part stores O2 sensor instead of a Toyota Denso sensor. Reason for that is the factory sensor is much better quality and a much higher price tag.

This is not a Hybrid code so take it to any auto parts store and they will scan it for free. Probably a PO420.

Or you can be smart and buy your own OBD code reader and learn how to check the car yourself in seconds. Its easy you just plug it in into the OBD socket under the dash and let it run. It will harvest the code and clear the code if you want. Then you just look up the code on the Intertubes.

I like the Ancel Code reader on Amazon. I have one Its cheap, works good, and can read and clear all the run of the mill codes like you have.

It will NOT harvest hybrid codes associated with the hybrid battery or hybrid system though.

But hybrid failure codes are not the check engine light icon there the Red Triangle of Death what we call the RTOD on this site. That's usually: $$$$$.

Good luck.

5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    mr_guy_mann recently wrote up a very thorough review of several things for reading codes and diagnostic information, and at the end of that he had one extra-strong recommendation.

The triangle is sometimes called RTOD around here, but the less overwrought "master warning light" is what Toyota calls it, which is a better name, given that the two hundred or so reasons it can come on are hardly all $$$$$, and some are $, and some are downright trivial to deal with. All the more reason why when it comes on, the thing to do is relax, breathe, and read the trouble codes.

6. k barbieri

k barbieri Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

7. k barbieri

k barbieri Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you I’ll gave all this info to be able to talk the talk with my mechanic