1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help - codes P0A7F & P3000

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Jax999, Jan 16, 2019.

1. Jax999

Jax999 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Facts : 2007 Prius with approx 116,000 miles. Last week, dash lit up with Red Triangle, Check Engine light, Yellow Brake Light, VSC light and Multifunctional display - red car with exclamation point.

Drove home about 5 miles scared. Next day dropped off at Toyota dealership where I have had all of my service done over these past 11 years. Received a call that hybrid battery is failing. Told me cost to replace battery was $4000. Not sure I want to put that kind of money into an 11 year car.

It's been at dealership for a week - trying to decide what to do. I called for more information on the codes and was told P0A7F and P3000. I asked about the Toyota Goodwill Warranty and they told me I could try on my own but they didn't think I would get anything. I pleaded my case with them and the manager called me back saying they would waive the core deposit and charge me $2800 with a 3 year warranty.

The car has been maintained and was in good working condition before this happened. I was planning on handing this car down to my daughter as a 16 year old new driver later this year. Is it worth putting the money into this car? How many miles or years can I expect to get after this?

Is this a fair price for replacement in NJ? Has anyone had any recent success getting anything from Toyota Corporate? I figured it was worth my time to make a phone call.

Any help is greatly appreciated. I have loved this car and wouldn't mind keeping it as an extra car and future car for my new driver, just want to make sure it would be safe for her.

Jax

2. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    “Waive the core deposit”. How noble of them considering they are doing the job themselves. It just means you don’t have to pay the 1350 core deposit and then get that money refunded.
    The battery would cost you 1950 retail if you were to buy it yourself the rest is labor but a Toyota Factory new battery will probably last as long as the original. How rusty is the car? Would it last another 11 years? You can get a green bean refurbished battery with a 5 year warranty for 1500 installed. Normally I would not recommend one but if the car only has a few more years before it’s too rusty it might be worth it.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    are those bad battery codes?

ask toyota for goodwill assistance.

if they refuse, shop around for best price.

ask local mechs if they would install a new $1,600. battery, and how much for labor.

4. Jax999

Jax999 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    It’s interesting that I was never initially told anything about the core deposit or whether I would be reimbursed back for it. Seems shady to me. Unfortunately I really don’t know any good mechanics that I would trust around here. If the dealer installs it I would get a three year warranty which is more reassuring to me than a 1 year warranty.

The car is in very good shape - no rust at all (garage kept) and all scheduled maintenance has been done on it. I was planning on giving the car to my daughter the end of this year for her first car.

I did give Toyota a call and no luck getting any goodwill assistance. They offered to call the dealership to see if I could get a better deal on the labor part of the bill but I am not going to hold my breath on that. I should hear back within the next two days on that.

If I put the money out now, do you think I could get another 4-5 years out of the car? I doubt my daughter will drive it more than 8,000 - 10,000 miles per year. Otherwise I will have to look into buying her a used car that I am taking a chance with. With this one, it has been well maintained and loved.

One more question - I’ve been reading about these failing actuators which also appear to be very expensive repairs. Is this a common failure in a Prius with over 100,000 miles? Are there any warning signs I should look for? I would hate to put out $3000 only to have to put out another $2500 6 months from now on an 11 year car. Also due to it affecting the breaks, that scares me with my young daughter taking over the car. If anyone can provide guidance here I would really appreciate it. I’m really trying to make an informed decision but want to make sure this car will be safe for her drive over the next 4-5 years.

Thank you in advance!

5. Phildo

Phildo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    i-Tech
    I've got a 2010 Toyota Camry Hybrid giving the same codes.

The P0A7F code indicates that the battery is out of balance, ie the modules aren't balanced.

Running a charging/discharge process on it with Hybrid Automotive Prolong equipment might patch it up (ie re-balance the modules).

6. Jax999

Jax999 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Does the dealership perform that? How much? The week that it happened, I noticed that my car was running a bit jerky especially upon driving it after it sat overnight. Did you have similar issues?

7. Jax999

Jax999 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Phildo, Did you get all the same warning lights: Red triangle, check engine light, VSC, yellow brake warning light?

8. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I would like to reiterate what SkiBob said. First, if they are doing the job, they should not be charging you the core deposit, so $2800 is about what the cost should be. It is a reasonable charge, but if you can get them to come down then even better. Play up to the fact you have had the car serviced regularly with them for 11 years.

Second, the wholesale cost to them is $1620 for the battery; the retail cost to you is $1950 (inc taxes). labor should be 4 hours maximum, less if they've done the job before. Use that information to keep them honest.

Having put a new battery in the car should go another 10 years, with also keeping up the maintenance and would a great car to pass on, given what you have briefly said about its current condition.

9. Jax999

Jax999 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    SFO - thank you for the information.

dolj - I am waiting for another call back from the dealership. Thank you for the information about the cost of parts and the estimated hours to repair. I will use that to try to negotiate a better price, but I doubt they will budge much.

I am leaning towards replacing the battery. If I do so, should I expect to get at least another 4-5 good years out of the car? I am concerned about other very expensive repairs down the road. Is there anything that I should ask them to check before putting out the money for this repair?

For at least the next couple of years, the car will be driven by my daughter, locally around town and will be used as a back up car. I love this car and it has been very reliable over the past 11 years, but I am concerned about the future safety and reliability I should expect going forward.

Thank you all for your help.

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    on average, yes. one other major concern is the brake actuator. expensive if you are at a dealers mercy.

combo meter is less expensive, but still a grand at a dealer.

11. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    ... or $225 (less $75 core refund) if you do it yourself.

12. douglasjre

douglasjre Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Keep the car for sure. Get a used pack on car part maybe, but keep

13. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The new battery will most likely last as long as the old one. As for the actuator there is no way to tell if it will last. Ask yourself this: what type of car could I get for the price of those 2 repairs? The actuator night never need to be replaced, plus you are the original owner and know how the car was maintained. You won’t get that with a used car. I would keep the car and get a new battery.

SFO likes this.