1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help - cracked engine head OMG I think I just ruined my wife's car!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Drclaw, Apr 13, 2018.

1. Drclaw

Drclaw New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Is there a how to section for this repair? Can I use permatex grey for the gasket? I just changed my oil pan on my Subaru and used tbis .

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The grey Permatex is OK.

Well, I will provide a "how to" here:

1. Remove the two wiper arms. Remove the black rubber gasket that runs along the cowl tray. Remove the two black plastic cowl pieces. Remove the windshield wiper motor and the sheet metal cowl tray.
    2. Remove the air cleaner housing.
    3. If the brake fluid reservoir is in the way, unbolt it and suspend from the hood using a wire hanger or rope so that it is out of the way, yet you do not spill fluid, damage the hoses, or allow air to get into the system.
    4. Remove the wiring harness connectors on the four spark igniters and the four fuel injectors. Remove the three bolts and the plastic clamp that secures the engine wiring harness which runs along the back of the engine valve cover and move it out of the way.
    5. Remove the two crankcase ventilation hoses on the left side (driver's side) of the valve cover. (Left is from the point of the view where you are standing at the back of the car.)
    6. Remove the four spark igniters. While you have them out, clean the outside plastic body using solvent (I use a paper towel moistened in paint thinner) and inspect for cracking, burns, etc. Replace any igniters that have flaws in the body.
    7. Remove the nine bolts and two nuts that secure the valve cover and remove it. Discard the valve cover gasket.
    8. Clean the gasket surfaces of the cylinder head, front engine cover/oil pump, and the engine valve cover. If any residue exists, clean it off using a plastic tool so that you do not damage the aluminum machined surfaces.
    9. Install the new valve cover gasket on the valve cover. Apply a bead of FIPG at the two places where the engine cover meets the cylinder head on the right side (passenger's side) of the engine. The idea is for the sealant to seal the junction between those two aluminum pieces.
    10. Install the valve cover on the cylinder head. Do not wait more than 3 minutes after applying the FIPG. Start from the middle of the valve cover and move progressively to the outside corners. Tightening torque is 88 in.-lb. Use a 3/8" torque wrench and make sure you recognize this measurement is in in.-lb., not ft.-lb. Hence, the torque is ~7.3 ft.-lb.
    11. Install the four spark igniters, using tightening torque of 80 in.-lb.
    12. Install the PCV valve and replace the crankcase ventilation hoses.
    13. Mount the wiring harness on the valve cover and install the 8 wiring harness connectors on the spark igniters and fuel injectors. Make sure that each connector clicks in place to show the connector is locked.
    14. Replace the brake fluid container if you had to move it. Reinstall the sheet metal cowl tray. Mount the windshield wiper motor and use 49 in.-lb torque on the five mounting bolts. Install the two black plastic cowl pieces and the long rubber gasket. When parked, the wiper blade end points at a dot on the windshield, which helps you to make sure the wipers are correctly aligned. Use 15 ft.-lb torque on the wiper arm nuts (note this spec is ft.-lb.; hence the spec would be 180 in.-lb if you are thinking in those units.)
    15. Replace the air cleaner housing, and make sure the clamp to the throttle body is tight. Make sure the wiring harness connector for the MAF sensor is locked.
    16. Look around and reinstall anything else that was disturbed or removed as part of the process.

#22 Patrick Wong, Apr 14, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2018
  3. golfmk681

golfmk681 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    A little bit of super glue will fix it alllll up.

Back in the day, I had an 98 eclipse. While installing a drain like, I accidentally made a square instead of circle ⭕️ for the fitting on the oil pan. I used jb quick weld, and two plates. The car never leaked oil. Drove it another 3 yrs during college up and down the northern Cali to Southern California. I ended up getting rid of the car. I Never fixed the oil pan lol.

fotomoto likes this.
  4. Beachbummm

Beachbummm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    change your oil and filter, odds are you got bits of metal in there..

Tbkilb01 likes this.
  5. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Please take pictures of the valve area after getting the valve cover off. The more pictures the better. lets see how your oil is doing.

m.wynn and Raytheeagle like this.
  6. Drclaw

Drclaw New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks everyone . Great community here

golfmk681 and Raytheeagle like this.
  7. Drclaw

Drclaw New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    New used valve cover came yesterday. $35 ahipped. Ordered a new oem gasket. Cleaning the cover with degreaser overnight .will install tomorrow.

I need to change front O2 sensor while I'm at .P0420 code .Tried easy atuff already. Any suggestions for that? Can't seem to find a good tutoriial. Hardest part looks like getting a tool on it .will use a Dremel to cut collar on sensor . Remove it from above or below car? Just a long breaker bar on a O2 socket?

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  8. Drclaw

Drclaw New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Finished the valve cover. Wasn't bad to do . Broke one valve cover bolt. Was using a torque wrench but it snapped . It was the rear center bolt .I just left it and moved on .

I also changed the rear O2 sensor since that was easier to get to. Cleared the cel and put half a bottle of seafoam in the gas tank. Fresh oil change too .well see if the light comes back on. I think it will . Probably going to have to do the front senaoe sooner than later.

Pics of job attached .

Attached Files:

Mendel Leisk and qettyz like this.
  9. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Looks like your keeping up with the oil changes as it looks pretty good in the valve area.
    But what’s going on that The outside of the engine looks so bad?

Is this the first time using a torque wrench? Some torque wrench settings are hard to understand.
    It’s good to check the settings though.
    I do that once in a while. I will set it at 20 lbs and check it on a wheel lug and see if it clicks at 20 lbs.
    I put a new intake on my crown Vic the other day and it’s a plastic intake And the bolts are 22 lbs. it’s alot of work and must be torqued correctly so I checked it on a wheel lug.

The bad news is it’s going to leak where your boned that bolt. It must be fixed. If not all your work will be for naught.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  10. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I have had factory-specified torques turn out to be excessive for aged fasteners before. More than once if the threads were cut into aluminum, it's been possible to strip them out before the specified torque is reached, necessitating a little interlude of helicoil-installation.

Nowadays, especially with smallish fasteners, I'll set my wrench for the factory setting, but if I feel any sort of relaxation starting to happen as I get anywhere near the final torque, I'll just declare that one torqued and move on.

Naturally, that probably wouldn't be the right approach for genuinely critical fasteners....

-Chap

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  11. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Get the bolt out with a bolt removal bit? Maybe you could manage to just loosen all the valve cover bolts off,, get the broken one out and replaced, and retorque them all, but reduce value a bit. Could be oil on the threads was a contributing factor, would necessitate reducing torque.

12. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    20 lbs torque is not much at all. You may be better just doing it by hand and snug it up.

I'm getting ready to change the plugs and gasket on mine. Interesting to see how tight the valve cover bolts will be. I bet there not real tight at all. There's not alot of pressure its sealing against there all you really need to do is squish the gasket real good. I personally wouldn't even bother with a torque wrench. Done many valve cover gaskets.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  13. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    @Patrick Wong mentioned 88 inch/pounds up the page, and I'm seeing 74 inch/pounds, in my pdf of the Repair Manual:

upload_2018-4-22_11-36-52.png

Those translate to 7 and 6 foot/pounds respectively: 1/4" torque wrench territory. If you don't have one, I think just using one hand on the centre of a ratchet wrench would keep you out of trouble.

Patrick Wong and edthefox5 like this.
  14. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I bought the gasket for it and laid it out to straighten up its wrinkles and said thats not the right seal , pretty sure its a square valve cover. Nope its this crazy looking cover you just posted lol....

The gasket by itself looks ..well not right.

15. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well, you are correct that the manual says 74 in.-lb. However, notice the primary spec is 10 Nm which converts to 88.5 in.-lb.

Look further in the manual for the ignition coil bolt tightening spec, and notice the spec is 9 N-m or 80 in.-lb.

In any event, it is really unfortunate that Drclaw had one valve cover bolt snap. I hope that the stud is protruding above the surface of the cylinder head. If he is unlucky, the stud will be below the surface and it will be necessary to drill a hole in the stud and use an easy-out to remove the stud. That will not be easy to do without causing damage to the threaded hole or getting metal shavings in the cylinder head..

#35 Patrick Wong, Apr 22, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2018
    Mendel Leisk likes this.
  16. Drclaw

Drclaw New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I
    The bolt snapped below the engine block line so it would require drilling out which seems like it will be a challenge and potentially cause more damage than it's worth. I think missing one bolt will be ok. When I removed them they all came our very easy to they're not applying a lot of downward pressure .Sure that spot will be the weakest link but I doing that will ever develop any kind of noticeable leak .

I've used torque wrench before and tested it on some other bolts because it seemed like I was torquing then pretty good .I was concerned I might crack the valve cover . I would recommend using a 1/4" drive for the job .3/8" is over kill .

I'll keep an eye on the car and check it in a few weeks . My wife put 50m on it last night and no cel so that's good. We'll figure out this week if more work will be required to address the p0420 code. Ao long as she can get a drove cycle in and pass inspection then I'm not that worried about it .

17. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I would try drilling out and using an extraction bit. Course it's not my car lol, easy to say. Maybe put the old valve cover on for this chore, and a couple of bolts to stabilize it. Centre punch the broken off bolt good, and start with a smaller than recommended drill bit, just to get started. Take your time, and blow the shaving's out of the hole thoroughly.

18. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'm a bit curious about the torque wrench. The spec says 74 in-lb, which is just a hair over 6 ft-lb. You mention that you used a 3/8 drive torque wrench, but I've never owned a 3/8 drive torque wrench that is incremented in in-lb. The ones I have seen are extremely $$$. Torque wrenches are designed/calibrated to be best used for values between 1/4 and 7/8 of full scale. So a wrench with a 100 ft-lb max reading should be used for torquing 25ft-lb to 87.5 ft-lb. So if we assume your torque wrench was ft-lb, what range is it and what what value were you torquing to?

After writing this, I happened to read through the thread again and realized I had missed a few things, including the discussion about 10n-m, 88 in-lb, 74 in-lb etc. All-in-all, it absolutely stinks to have broken a bolt off, especially if it's below the surface. Center-rear means access will probably suck also. If you decide to mess with it, I wish you the best. Hopefully, it just doesn't leak. At least it's not under any pressure.

#38 TMR-JWAP, Apr 22, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2018
    Mendel Leisk likes this.
  19. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I have a 3/8" torque wrench that goes down to 5 foot pounds, equates to 60 inch pounds. Debatable how accurate it is at that number, but hey.

I've asked for a bday present a 1/4" torque wrench.

AgAin, just one-handing it, one hand on the centre of crescent wrench, I think would be ballpark.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  20. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Is Father’s Day before your birthday :whistle:?

Mendel Leisk likes this.