1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help! Dashboard lights turn off when I turn on headlights at night!!!.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by justaguy, Mar 11, 2010.

1. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Just asking, but has no one had a similar experience in other cars they have owned? Any car I had had a dashboard dimmer switch, and after a certain point, it clicked and made the dash lights stay on 'day' mode 'full brightness' whether the headlights were on or off.

2. mygreen

mygreen New Member

I have had Chrysler and Chevy vehicles, and I recall being able to dim them. I don’t recall being able to turn them completely off, but none of these had digital dashes. I don’t think it should be allowed to go off on a digital dash, what a safety issue if you are driving without any dash input.

3. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I'm wondering the same thing. Everyone here sounds like the Prius is their first car.

4. Trath Mutters

Trath Mutters Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks all. I must have hit that dimmer switch without realizing it.
    Interesting driving at night without a speedometer, mpg display etc on back country roads.
    My Prius is teaching me though. I managed 64 plus mpg for the trip.

5. Quattro

Quattro Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The major difference is the default brightness of the digital dash when the headlights are off.

On any traditional car, the dash is not lit if the headlights are off. So it's purely an on/off deal, you turn on the headlights & the dash comes on to whatever dimmer setting you set. But on the Prius, if you do not like a super bright dash at night & set the dimmer halfway, when you turn on the headlight, the dash will actually go dim to your setting. This is most apparent at dusk and counter intuitive.

6. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Also if you have the NAV System, turning that control full on will give a daytime map display when driving at night, backing the control down just before the click will run night mode for the Map Display !!

7. Prius_in_Paradise

Prius_in_Paradise Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Thank you, Wiserone. I had forgotten about this last turn of the dash brightness wheel, and I struggled with dim dashboard until you came to my rescue.