1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

HELP!!! Dealer Couldn't find the problem, Prius DIED

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by benjomothians, Oct 28, 2017.

1. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Good. Go to page 68 of the EWD and become familiar with the Gateway ECU and its fuses.This is the heart of the Multiplex Com System and the Bean buss (body electric) . If body electric communication is dead you will have nothing no immobilizer. Read page 70.
    And the next few pages concerning the Can buss.

Go to page 80 Look at how the IGCT relay is controlled and you may have to use a oscilloscope to see if the Can and Bean Com system are running after checking B+ to it. No IGCT no inverter no power.

The Can/Bean is most likely dead which is why the OBD port is dead but the OBD has its own specific fuse 7.5 OBD. Check that.
    If that fuse has 12 volts on it on both ends your in deep dookey as that means the gateway ecu or hybrid vehicle control ecu is dead jim.

You did not answer my question about the Hybrid battery. Why were you in the Hybrid battery checking cells and replacing the Battery ecu after the battery short incident? That compounds this issue.

Good Luck.

2. benjomothians

benjomothians New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Hi
    About the battery check I have no idea why I checked somebody suggested to check it
    Anyway
    About gateway > I swapped it with the parts car and it work on the other car
    same thing I did with all the relays and they work on the other car
    same with the key component and Main ECU and power source
    And just today checked all the ground connectors

VERY Usefull information you sent me
    I just skipped over this every time
    Cause the body ECU is part of Ignition circuit
    Wanna swap those just right now

3. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm sorry.
    And I know it's not helpful, but I'm just going to say, Good Luck.

Once you get in a cycle of obvious damage done, then random, even if thought out, replacing of components in what becomes a "Whack-A-Mole" approach, with used or salvaged parts? It becomes incredibly difficult to track down what the original singular problem really is or was.

You start to not really know the viability of the parts you replaced, with the parts you replaced with.

Since you've already invested quite a bit of labor, time and money into the situation my only hope is that your next move, does indeed create remedy.
    But it's a tough situation. Good Luck.

Hopefully others can and will provide more tangible avenues for investigation.

edthefox5 likes this.
  4. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I agree,
    The best possible scenario here, IMHO, is to try & reinstall all the original parts and troubleshoot from scratch before replacing anything.

edthefox5 likes this.
  5. Dxta

Dxta Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II

...and you're not supposed to check anything on the HV area, if you are not well knowledgeable about what you're doing.
    I'm not being harsh, but just plain truth.

Prodigyplace likes this.
  6. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    To late he's been in the battery box already. He's a gamer though..lol.

But I absolutely agree that the whack a mole with ecu's is not a good idea. You quickly bury yourself. I would have first searched and confirmed why I see no OBD2 data. Can Buss and Bean not running is my guess. But the fact that he's taking known good modules off this car and then putting those suspect modules on another car and they work is a very good sign. That may just be a no B+ issue blown fuse.
    You have to take every single fuse out and ohm it and then put it back in and see if there's B+ on it.

Then get an oscilloscope and check the Can & bean lines for data out of the multiplexer. You may just see it for a sceond then it goes away.

Raytheeagle likes this.