1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help deciphering a couple things on my 2007 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by John Ginn, Aug 17, 2022.

1. John Ginn

John Ginn New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have done extensive work on my 2007 that sat dead for to years and got it back on the road. Up until now everything I needed was just 2007 Prius. Now I’m trying to figure out if it’s a touring or base with upgrades.

It has HID headlights and fog lights.

the rear shocks have 2 white stripes

It has cloth interior and no navigation

it does have the carpet cargo cover.

it has 15” tires and 6 spoke wheels. However the door sticker says it has 16” tires.

I’m the 3rd owner so I don’t know what’s been changed.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

johnG

2. Moving Right Along

Moving Right Along Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  3. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    We got 16 in wheels on American Priuses before 2010 No kidding .? Well that would be the first thing that would have to go if the car was mine and obviously one of the past two owners was of the same type of thinking that was a terrible tire size for most people most people try to skip it and go right to 17 or stay at 15 if they're smart. I had no idea that in seven or before 10:00 they offered 16-in wheels and never even seen or heard of this before That's interesting makes sense it would be only on the tourer though. And they could quickly get passed off to unsuspecting non-car people. My VW Passat came with 16s they were immediately swapped out for the regular 15s when I owned it very quickly because tires were plentiful in that size range of all kinds of tires in the 16s you could get very little at the time and then they just kind of got skipped over for 17s and no one ever looked back.

4. Moving Right Along

Moving Right Along Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Actually, that brings up something: if the car’s internals think it has 16” wheels when it currently has 15” wheels, then the speedometer, odometer, and fuel consumption rating are going to be off.

5. alftoy

alftoy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    If you adhere to the factory specs for tire size, negligible difference
    15" 185/65-15
    16" 195/55-16
    17" 205/45-17

Input specs here.

https://www.tacomaworld.com/tirecalc?tires=185-65r15-195-55r16

Attached Files:

6. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Look at the rear spoiler. The touring model spoiler extends out further from the hatch,

7. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    That's interesting I have a tour here I'll have to go look at the spoiler because my gold 09 is not a tour. But that's correct no matter what your wheel size is it's the total outer diameter of what's touching the road so 185 65 15 and a 215 45 17 almost same total OD . So your speedometer stays accurate because it's looking at the total OD. But let me say this if like me on my other cars you try to run two different tire profiles like a 185 60 15 in the front and a 185 65 in the rear your traction control light will constantly be engaging your slip light will constantly be flashing on and off and your electric motors will be acting as if your car is in the snow or slipping on rain which is not good I noticed this just a few weeks ago I pull the wrong tires out of my shop mounted them wasn't even paying attention and realized I had 185 60s on the front 65s in the back and this went on for 3-4 days put the right 65s on the front to match the back instant problem gone back to 90 mph couldn't hardly make over 62 with the traction control lights and slip lights or VSC lights coming on and off it was very annoying.

8. alftoy

alftoy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base