1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help determining bad gen 2 Prius modules with torque pro app.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Thisfckinguy, May 20, 2022.

Tags:
  1. Thisfckinguy

Thisfckinguy New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Hello. I am praying someone can help. I just bought a 2005 prius. From day one the red triangle of death, engine, and a yellow circle with an exclamation and lines outside the circle all lit up. I ran codes twice on 2 different obd2s and 2 different apps. I get p0a80 everytime, (and once p3000 but it went away) I assume it is one or more modules. I ran the torque pro app and my second block is over 1 volt in difference. Every other one seems to be spot on with the rest. I will provide a screenshot. Should I replace both modules? Or is there a chance I can just balance them all together and that will fix it. Any help is appreciated.
    Also my acceleration is almost non existent. When I start the car in park, I push on the gas and absolutely nothing. After a short time and many attempts it eventually works but it's almost like it needs to charge the pedal first lmao.
    upload_2022-5-20_14-59-49.png

Attached Files:

2. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Usually, if any block is 1.0-1.5V less than the others, then it is almost always because a cell in one of the two modules has shorted. You need to replace at least that bad module. Just replacing modules and doing nothing else has a high percent chance of having modules with different capacities and repeat battery codes (we call it "whack a mole")

There are many many posts about cycling modules - either all at once with a grid charger, or individually with hobby RC chargers. At best you might get a year or two. Or maybe you never get it to work correctly at all. Also be sure to inspect the small wires that go from the battery modules to the battery ecu- and the orange connector. Broken wires and corrosion damage to the ecu are not uncommon (but usually cause very large voltage difference readings).

If you want reliability then you should look at new modules- either Toyota, newpriusbatteries.com, or the Li-ion option from projectlithium.

Dr Prius is a good app if you just want to monitor block voltages live. The Autel Maxi AP200 device and app is great for looking at codes and data on ALL ecu's in a Gen2 Prius (including INF codes and freezeframe data).

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

#2 mr_guy_mann, May 21, 2022
    Last edited: May 21, 2022
  3. Thisfckinguy

Thisfckinguy New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    One
    That's what I was afraid of. But I'm glad to get a second opinion. Thanks. Just bought a couple modules off ebay (fingers crossed) but i will check the ones you suggest for next time. I was leaning towards replacing the whole block just to be safe. Then I ran across the cycling method on youtube and it looks time consuming but it may be the best route all considering. I've seen every video I can get my hands on, and it seems doable.
    A GRID CHARGER! That's what it's called. I knew there had to be a machine for this. I saw a video where a guy did it with a 12v car battery. In very short (5-10sec. bursts) in parallel. Looks super easy but it looks...scary somehow lol. I will definitely look into this. Trying to keep it in the $150 range.
    The tenergy t180 was the one I was eyeing. But it seems like it may take a week to do all the modules (yikes) I'm a dasher so the sooner I can get moving the better. I like the Venom Quattro charger but it's just outside my budget unfortunately.
    But thanks again. I really appreciate the advice and sites. This should be an adventure

Catherine Kourouklis likes this.
  4. Thisfckinguy

Thisfckinguy New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    One
    So I ran into a big problem. Okay so I was cleaning the wiring harness wire connectors and they are badly corroded. One of the metal pieces broke. I dont know what they are called. Can I just replace it? The piece that broke. Crimp a new one on? If so what is it called?

Attached Files:

5. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    You're experiencing the main problem with reusing the harness. It takes a very careful hand to disassemble nd clean them, even then one is very likely to break or microcrack which will cause problems later. New ones are available from toyota for <60 bucks. It's called wire frame #2

And yes, you can repair it. Some people just solder it together.

You need to take a good look at the harness plug and the ecu socket where it plugs in. There is often corrosion on some pins, which will cause problems.

6. Thisfckinguy

Thisfckinguy New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    One
    All good to know. Based on how bad it is and your mention of micro cracks. I'm probably going to buy a new one from Toyota. And I will just keep the busted one for parts or repair it carefully for the next time ( hopefully in 10 years or more lol ). I didn't think about checking the harness plug, but I will now.
    Thank you for the advice and quick reply. I can breath easier now. I didn't even know the name of the part (sad). Which made it hard to search online. But $60 is doable. I will order one tonight. Thanks again
    I love Priuschat!

7. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It is Part Number: 8216547040 which should make it easier to search online.

8. Thisfckinguy

Thisfckinguy New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    One
    It helped, thanks. Order in and it should be here Thursday. Thanks all. I can't wait to get this fixed and back in the car. I will let you know how it turns out. Or I will be back at the next road block lol. Thanks again!

SFO likes this.
  9. Ancel Bhagwandeen

Ancel Bhagwandeen Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    Doing the grid charge exercise needs a lot of care for ppl not experienced in electrics. 1 mistake and u can be dead!.