1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help diagnose - warning lights, P0A80

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by SpaceJunky, Jun 6, 2023.

1. SpaceJunky

SpaceJunky New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I am having an issue with my 2007 Prius, 167000 mi, original Hybrid Battery. I believe the hybrid battery is dying, but would like to confirm that before I move on to expensive repairs.

Main Symptoms:
    Drove car approximately 0.5 miles and had many lights appear on dash, including:
    • Red Triangle of Death
    • Brake system warning light (amber, circle with exclamation point, not the tire pressure light)
    • VSC
    • CEL (check engine light)
    • Red car light w/ exclamation on touch screen display
    Code from standard OBDII reader: P0A80
    Cleared code, which cleared all lights. Code and lights returned on my next drive.

Other symptoms:
    • Reduced mpg over last 6 months (down from 44 to 37 mpg)
    • Hesitation when stepping on throttle when engine is cold
    • Hybrid battery display/consumption shows that hybrid battery will charge fully but also rapidly discharges (e.g. 10 minutes in the store is enough to fully discharge hybrid battery)
    Troubleshooting steps:
    • Replaced 12 V battery with brand new battery
      • Previous battery was 6 years old and failed battery test (measured 11.84 V)
    • Confirmed gentle movement in inverter coolant tank
      • IG ON but engine NOT RUNNING
    • Thorough cleaning of throttle body plate, butterfly valve, and MAF sensor
    • Note: the car likely will benefit from replacing the PCV valve, hoses running to the throttle body, and replacing spark plugs, but I don’t believe those are the source of my issues

Is there other troubleshooting I should do? I’m guessing this is a textbook hybrid battery failure, and time to fully immerse myself in the forum to explore my options. Many thanks!

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Just by Time alone .. it's time. To be thinking of replacement of battery..... Or vehicle .... Choices oh the choices

3. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to PriusChat!!
    If the scanner is actually retrieving all of the stored obd2 codes, then in "theory" you might be able to recondition the existing HV battery by using a grid charger/discharger to cycle the battery multiple times (of course YMMV). Which scanner or App are you currently using?

FYI : you're moderated until you've posted 5 times.