1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help Diagnosing ABS Problem (ECB, ABS, VSC lights)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by FarmFinds, Nov 21, 2022.

1. FarmFinds

FarmFinds New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I need help diagnosing the brake problem on my daughter's 2004 model. I've read through quite a few chat threads, but wanted to run the situation by the experts here before investing in a replacement ABS accumulator (and the tools/equipment/software too)! Below are the details of the situation and what I've done so far.

Last week my daughter called and told me that all her brake warning lights came on when she was leaving for school and the bakes felt like they required more pressure to stop. When I arrived, I verified the lights were on (Brake, ECB, ABS and VSC). I also verified that the brakes felt week, almost like only the rear brakes were engaging. I also verified that the e-brake was disengaged.

Based on this forum, the first action I tool was to use a jumper wire and pull the brake codes. This is what I retrieved:
    ECB - 41 and 68
    ABS - 42
    VSC - 45

The next step was to disconnect the 12v battery and clean the terminals, leaving the battery disconnected for several minutes. The ground terminal had a little light corrosion, but not bad. I didn't have my multimeter along, so I didn't test the battery voltage. However, I replaced the battery sig months ago, so it should be fine. After that, I checked the brake fluid reservoir. The fluid was at the "add" mark, but not below it, so I topped it up. I even went as far as loosening and retightening the gas cap a couple times. When I rechecked the codes, the ECB 41 code disappeared, but the other three codes remained. Next, I tried clearing the codes using the jumper wire and quickly pressing the brake multiple times (thanks again to this forum), but the three codes remained. I did it multiple times to verify it was done correctly.

Based on the codes and what I've shared, does anyone have advise on additional tests or checks I can do before investing the time, effort and money in replacing the ABS accumulator? My daughter was forced to borrow our Suburban and driving it is killing her!

2. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Your ECB blink code 68 equates to C1202 which has the fortune cookie text of "Master Reservoir Level Malfunction".

There are two posible INF/Detail Code associated with this code of 511 and 512 that can help narrow down the problem area.

Possible trouble areas are:
    • Brake fluid level
    • Brake fluid level warning switch
    • Harness and connector
    • Skid control ECU
    Hope that is some help.

FarmFinds likes this.
  3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    For completeness, the ABS 42 and VSC 45 both just mean "hey, did you notice there's an ECB code?".

FarmFinds likes this.
  4. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Having low fluid level might explain those codes. You might want to use a strong flashlight and see if you can view the float in the reservoir. I have sometimes had that float "hang up" and not rise when fluid was added. Usually a gentle bump to the reservoir will knock it loose.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

FarmFinds likes this.
  5. FarmFinds

FarmFinds New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That's interesting. If it was due to the brake fluid level, topping it up should have fixed the code. Hmmm...

6. FarmFinds

FarmFinds New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Does anyone else have any thoughts or guidance?

7. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    A reality of all trouble codes is that they do not—absolutely cannot—tell you what the problem is. They can only tell you that the computer in the car, reporting the trouble code, noticed certain things. You can find out what things those are by reading the "detection condition" in the repair manual for that code.

In the case of C1202, the computer noticed something about the electrical signal coming back from the fluid level switch. The code absolutely cannot tell you why that signal came back. The computer has no idea and no way to find out. It could have been the fluid level, or a sticky float as mr_guy_mann suggested in #4, or a bad switch, or damaged wiring, or even (rare but possible) a problem with the ECU itself.

So if topping off the fluid didn't make the code go away, then what's going on could be any one of those remaining things. Somebody just needs to dig in and find out.

FarmFinds likes this.
  8. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, not if the second item mentioned in the problem area list, brake fluid level warning switch, was malfunctioning. Then you also have to verify there are no harness and connector issues.

FarmFinds likes this.
  9. FarmFinds

FarmFinds New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the response. For some reason I only received email notifications for the first response from @dolj and your last response. I didn't get a notification of your first response or the response from mr_guy_mann or the last response from @dolj. Not sure why.

Now that I see them, I'm going to take a closer look at the brake fluid reservoir. I just had to drop the money on the ABS accumulator and related tools/supplies/software/etc and have it turn out to be something else.

Thanks again!

10. FarmFinds

FarmFinds New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Good to know! (y)

11. FarmFinds

FarmFinds New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius