1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help Diagnosing Unintended/Uncommanded Acceleration Issue

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by nylion, May 2, 2009.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Interesting!!!

My shoe size is 10.5, EEE. You've introduced a new hypothesis that I don't think anyone has considered before ... the potential width of North American shoes and the space between the accelerator and brake. The hypothesis is that the shoe could somehow activate the brake and accelerator at the same time or worse, there may not be sufficient difference in the feel so someone might not realize what was happening.

Bob Wilson

2. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There is a strong correlation between reported incidents and the age of the driver.

3. yardman 49

yardman 49 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    That is interesting. There's another post around here (http://priuschat.com/forums/prius-m...loser-than-gas-pedal-too-much-difference.html) where the OP was complaining about the height difference between the accelerator and the brake. He didn't like the fact that the accelerator was maybe 2" lower than the brake pedal, and wanted to put some block or other on top of the accelerator to bring it up closer to the same level as the brake pedal.

I've never had a problem adjusting to this. But maybe that's why Toyota put the accelerator lower than the brake, to help minimize such an occurance?

4. nylion

nylion New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Did you hit the brake pedal? How firmly?

In my case the brakes held the car back with little trouble.

5. nylion

nylion New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

I considered that (size 11D). I was wearing sneakers. The brake didn't travel far enough down for me to hit the gas. If my foot is even close to centered on the brake pedal, it would miss the gas.

Also, my experience was that the brake held the car back and stopped it. I had no issue with the car running away. I heard several claims that the brake didn't stop the unwanted acceleration. Based on my experience and the earlier postings, I would think that even if someone pressed the brake and accelerator with the same foot, the brake would win. Its travel starts way above the accelerator.

6. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius

The repair manual is *very* vague on that

7. hschuck

hschuck Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Have you run a test? How 'bout you put the ball of your foot on the inboard edge of the brake and depress it.

I had exactly that happen to me a couple of weeks ago. I was backing an automatic pick-up that I had never driven before. I when I tried to stop while looking behind me I started depressing the brake and my foot also started depressing the accelerator pedal. It does happen.

8. nylion

nylion New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Actually, I did a more definitive test. I held the brake down and then used my other foot to press the accelerator, hard. The car didn't move. Given that the gas pedal is at least 2 inches lower than the brake pedal, I am sure the brake will win every time. This is probably a design feature.

Also, at the time of the incident, I looked to see if I might be touching the gas. I wasn't. On the other occasions, I released the brake pedal completely and hadn't touched the gas yet when I started accelerating. Those times I told myself it was just me hitting the gas without realizing it. At this point I know it wasn't me, and this last incident was at a traffic light and I took the time to be sure I understood what was happening.

9. hschuck

hschuck Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I agree that the brake will win every time if both peddles are forcefully held down.

My suggested test was to allow your foot to overlap the gas peddle while depressing the brake to see if the brake peddle travel allowed the foot to also contact the gas peddle before the braking force was sufficient to significantly overcome the drive force. Sorry I wasn't more clear. As I noted in my previous post this happened to me in the pick-up truck incident.

10. nylion

nylion New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I attempted to press both the brake and gas with my right foot. I had to have the brake pressed very hard before I reached the gas. The car didn't move. I think we can rule that out.

11. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    To rule it out completely did you try to pivot your foot toward the gas pedal to give it an unfair advantage?

12. nylion

nylion New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes. I did. In fact the only way I could press both pedals was to really "favor" the gas pedal. Aside from the fact it was hard to do, it actually hurt. So I am very sure that is not the cause of the problem. Thanks for the detective work.

13. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Very good that settles it. Thank you for sharing and good luck diagnosing and fixing the problem. :)

14. nylion

nylion New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    One of my coworkers heard me on the phone with the Toyota Experience call center supervisor today and decided to do his own web search. Interestingly, aside for a large number of claims this occurs, a surprising number reported that the problem stopped when cruise control was toggled. I think this suggests the hybrid ECU moves up in the list of potential causes.

The supervisor at the experience center said all she could do is "enter this in the database". She was obviously instructed not to discuss this problem beyond saying, "if we find a problem we will notify our customers."

I'm back where I started.

15. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The nice thing about all of this being documented, is that if you should happen to rear end somebody while in that unintended acceleration mode, you should have a fairly easy legal out

16. nylion

nylion New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That's true. Of course, this thread may kill any chance I have to trade the car in. I planned to do that next summer and get the 2011 Prius.

The most difficult part of all this isn't that my car can behave unpredictably (though that is disturbing on lots of levels), but that I have always believed Toyota wasn't like other car companies. Over the 25 years I have been a Toyota customer, I have held the belief that Toyota cared about each customer's satisfaction. I am now learning this isn't the case at all. It's one thing to have a problem with a car, it's something entirely different to lose faith in the car maker.

17. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I just noticed in the Japanese 7 minute commercial for the 2010 that the accelerator is back to a metal rod instead of the plastic beam. Not drawing any conclusions, just a "well isn't that special."

Bob Wilson

18. Mike Dimmick

Mike Dimmick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My RHD 2008 Prius has a metal rod with a kink in it, to offset the actual pedal pad off to the right compared to the sensor assembly. This was likely only possible in the RHD car because the pedal is right next to the driver's side door.

I'll try to remember to take a picture of the footwell and upload it.

19. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Member

Wow, this isn't good.I saw this problem on a different forum, but assumed it was driver error-like the Audi problems from 20 years ago. This seems awfully credible; happening more than once to an aware driver-not too good.

Big aside- Corporate phone "answerers" ALWAYS ALWAYS have heard about these problems by the time they give the "I'll make a note of it" answer. The first time they hear of it, they are usually much more curious.
    In 1980 or so we had a problem with a strange allergic reaction when we would turn on saline at a plasma collection center. Initially the "phone" person gave me the usual response"never heard of this, but will note it,and please let us know when it happens again"-no kidding that was the first response. Then the response changed to "this is new, but it seems to happen in spring and fall" It finally quit happening, the best bet was Fenwal changed something in their manufacturing.The FDA sent out "info" on it, but we never knew what caused it, or how it was cured. Corps NEVER, NEVER just admit that there is a problem-even when there is. You always get a polite denial, and slowly, very slowly they loosen up a bit, if it continues-or if their lawyers tell them to loosen up.

Another time-much less serious-my 1995 Accord radiator sprung a leak at 37,000 miles-yeah out of warranty. When I called an online seller to buy another one-about $250- the parts guy said,"gee I sell a lot of these, it is a common problem." When it arrived it was obviously different than the original.Honda had reworked it. Well about 25-30 calls later( no kidding at least that many calls) Honda agreed to pay $250 for the part, but obviously nothing for the 5 hours it took me to install it.

My point is what you already know-big corps NEVER, NEVER, NEVER initially admit that they have lots of reports of a problem, even when they do. If you are persistent, eventually they-Toyota-will "fix" your car, but they'll never say " it was broken." It will be something like, " a SB to make it even safer in certain situations."

Yes, this is too obvious, but it surprised me that it took so long to fix a safety issue, and they-Fenwal- continued to sell the product all thru the year or so it lasted.
    Good luck,
    Charlie

20. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius

Sorry to burst your bubble, but all global corps are the same. Well, some may be more sinister than others, but they all have one goal in mind

As phoebesis stated, once the lawyers get involved, it turns murky. Actually it can turn evil, downright nasty. A good example of that was Ford with the Pinto exploding gas tank