1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help Diagnosing Unintended/Uncommanded Acceleration Issue

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by nylion, May 2, 2009.

1. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I am sure that is what he meant. That's what he stated earlier in the thread. It's typical to make an error like that in the most important part of the problem description, sending everyone back to the drawing board. Hopefully he will edit the post.

Tom

2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Power supply problems are another source of intermittent problems. It would be a good idea to have the 12 VDC auxiliary battery tested and make sure all of the leads and terminals are free of corrosion. However, a failing auxiliary battery typically shows other symptoms.

Bob Wilson

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm not really sure how you got to the conclusion at the bottom of your post.
    The 12V battery is jumpable, but should probably be replaced...you're right at 3 years with it, a bit early for it to die, but not unheard of. It happens.

The unintended acceleration thing has been reported in maybe 1:100,000 US Prius. About the same rate that that particular problem is reported in many other cars. And it's pretty clear that many of those cases are driver error as the facts as reported do not add up.

Finally, the '10 Prius is a completely new model. The 2G Prius has had the highest customer satisfaction rating and an unbelievably high reliability rating in any study you look at for years running. If your dad's looking for perfect he better resort to walking. The Prius is right up there in safety, reliability, and customer satisfaction, but it isn't perfect.

4. pnerd

pnerd Junior Member

Delete me

I agree with bwilson #69, I don't want to add to the noise in this thread.
    I will be watching this thread, since I am interested in the findings, but I haven't had the problem so... nothing really to contribute.
    Seems we are not allowed to delete our own posts here... will a mod help?

5. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The 1 in 100k is a bit made up, but there are over 1/2 million Prii that have been sold in the US and only about 5-6 total reports of this problem.

I, too, believe the OP and must assume that there have been real issues with a couple cars, but I would hardly let that concern me, statistically your chances of getting an affected car are just slightly better than your chance of hitting the lottery!

Like I said, someone earlier in this thread posted a long list of cars with reports of unanticipated acceleration issues...they were not all Prii. Pick any car and search for problems and you'll find them. But look at the overall history for safety, reliability and owner satisfaction and you'll be hard pressed to find many cars better than the Prius on those criteria.

6. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    If you look at the data posted earlier in this thread by Chogan2:

http://priuschat.com/forums/care-ma...-me-unintended-acceleration-2.html#post841445

I am more likely to have an "unintended acceleration" event in my Ford Explorer than in my Prius. (It hasn't happened in either vehicle so far) Frankly, I'm a little more concerned about a meteor dropping out of the sky and vaporizing my whole neighborhood. That would suck.

7. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This will happen if you press the power button with your foot off the brake. Sometimes I do it trying to power up the car too quickly.

8. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Oh, you mean like certain Ford vehicles where the cruise control cancel brake switch was directly tied into the brake line, and always live? So when the switch shorted out, the damn vehicle burst into flames? I know the following is an ambulance chasing lawyer site

Ford Fires - Cruise Control Switch Fire Recall List, Ford Fire Recall Lawyer

but according to the NHTSA stats, you have a much better chance of losing a Ford to an engine/switch fire, than having a Prius suddenly turn into a Dodge Challenger SRT-8 and wildly accelerate down the road

My gripes with my Prius were mostly minor, except the TC. I'm currently looking at a new 2009, and a used 2009, as a replacement, and have no concerns whatsoever

9. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    User 'pnerd' has other issues and no original contribution to the acceleration problem. 'pnerd'', reading about someone else's report is NOT an original contribution.

We have seen a number of 'post and run' reports by those with NO interest in problem diagosis. Yes this accelerator problem is rare but this is one of the best documented cases.

One of the reasons I often suggest the Yahoo Group 'prius technical stuff' is not only the resident expertise but also their ability to focus on the problem and not be distracted by peripheral issues. So please, focus.

Bob Wilson

10. dogfriend

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    We have two affected Fords: the Explorer and a Class A motorhome. The motorhome was recalled for this, the Explorer wasn't even though they both have the same switch which fails at a near 100% rate after ~ 5 - 10 yrs. I replaced the switch in the Explorer after the CC stopped working and I discovered that the master cylinder was almost empty due to the switch leaking profusely.

The difference: For the Explorer, the switch is only powered with the key on. Apparently, Ford considers it acceptable if the truck bursts into flames while being driven or the brake fluid leaks out of the master cylinder; they only recalled the vehicles that spontaneously combust while sitting in the garage or driveway. :rolleyes:

11. nylion

nylion New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

I live in a suburb of Seattle, so the weather is rarely very dry. Last Friday we had intermittent rain. At the time of the incident, the road was dry and it was just spitting a few drops of rain (pretty typical here).

I am not an automotive expert. My field is software program management. I think I could put my laptop to work recording events. I would need fairly detailed instructions, but it sounds like a promising avenue to get to the bottom of this problem.

12. nylion

nylion New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Yes, sorry. You are right. It was the brake pedal. My foot was nowhere near the gas.

13. nylion

nylion New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

I don't think it is fair to generalize too much here. I do know that my car has done this more than once. The last incident was one where I was in a position to be sure I ruled out driver error and other factors. Over three years and 33,000 miles I only remember two other possible incidents. The only one I consider verifiable is the latest when I had the time to check things carefully (since I was not on an interstate).

I plan to keep the car and get a new Prius in 2010 or 2011. Yes, I am worried every time I drive. Who wouldn't worry? The fact that I am aware of the issue makes it a bit less dangerous. But since driving situations happen fast and not always under good conditions, there is a risk to my life and maybe others. If you like numbers, I guess this has happened to my car once in 10,000 miles. If it were any other problem, that rate is certainly acceptable. However, when the problem means the car accelerates out of control, the stakes are very high.

It is my hope that we (this forum) or Toyota can help resolve the issue. My dealer is researching as well. He takes this very seriously. I believe this is a hybrid ECU issue. I base that on a couple of things:
    1. The ICE was either off or idling until I let pressure off the brake.
    2. The ICE stopped racing when I pushed hard on the brake, then raced again when I reduced pressure. (I think. I can't swear the ICE stopped racing, since I was focused on not hitting the car in front of me, but I think so)
    Both of these facts suggest to my uneducated mind that a mechanical cause is very unlikely.

2 people like this.
  14. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I appreciate your willingness to work through the problem. Rare, intermittent problems are the most vexing.

I think we can rule out static electricity as the air was likely at a high humidity level.

The _HYPOTHESIS_ of an ECU involvement sounds promising but the engine ECU can not be ruled out nor the bus between the hybrid ECU and engine ECU. It does sound like a vexing transient so I'm keeping an open mind.

What is your laptop operating system and does it have a stereo microphone input? If so, see about getting a copy of Audacity, which allows the laptop to record the microphone inputs, hopefully stereo but monoral is better than nothing.

Also, do you have a 'plug-in' power adapter that can convert the 12 VDC cigarette lighter voltage into the 40-50 watts the laptop would need? What we're talking about is having the laptop become a data logger. If nothing else, have it record the engine noise but if we can use two channel, then we can look at other signals such as some way to record accelerator pedal position.

I understand that you are not 'wires and circuits' technical but I think we come up with configurations that are well documented and confirm what is going on. We'll also need to understand if this will be a 'commuting' laptop that visits the car with you or one that stays in the vehicle.

Also, does your laptop have USB interfaces? The reason I ask is there are OBD 'mice' that plug into the diagnostic bus and can be used to record all transactions. This is an advanced technique that has the potential to provide a detailed record of any error events.

Bob Wilson

15. PriusLewis

PriusLewis Management Scientist

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    OK, that explains EVERYTHING! :pound:

Sorry, couldn't resist. I'm in Software QA/Software Process Engineering (CMMI, ISO-9000, AS9100, Six Sigma). I always have to pick on PMs (I were one once myself).

16. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Some days, the spouse is really giving you heck ... layin' into you ... and on those days I kinda look forward to that meteor slamin' into me be it 1 : 1,000,000 odds or not. So don't be minimizing my meteor. :p

17. dogfriend

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I'm not trying to kill anyone's dream, I'm just sayin. :D

18. Romeo

Romeo New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Sad to see how owners have to debug what seems to be a very serious issue on their own without any support from the manufacturer. Hope such things as hardware and software diagnostics, software reload, and even a "black box" for recording all system parameters for a few days will soon become normal for all drive-by-wire vehicles. Unfortunately, somebody may have to get hurt first before it is implemented.

19. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That's an interesting thought...
    In medicine sometimes people have intermittent problems such as passing out, symptoms of their heart racing or palpitations. But when they're in the doctor's office or the ER everything looks great.

To determine if the patient's symptoms are from their hear and, if so, what exactly the heart rhythm problem is we sometimes send them home with a special recording device. Either a Holter monitor, which records their heart rhythm continuously for 24-48 hours for problems that occur fairly frequently/daily. Or an Event monitor which they wear for a month but that requires them to press a button to trigger the recorder when they have symptoms. With the Event Monitor, after an episode, they then connect the device to the phone and transmit what was recorded to a reciever that prints out and analyses the recording to see what was going on during the episode.

So, if car dealerships, or Toyota Motor had a similar device they could send out that connected to the OBDII connection and recorded multiple vehicular "vital signs" they might be able to better diagnose some of these more obscure issues. They could have a couple dozen that are loaned out either via direct shipping to owners or through regional reps via the dealer repair departments.

20. msirach

msirach Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I use Car Code OBD-2 on a laptop. It will record trip data via obdII and can be synched with GPS programs as well. I haven't had any chronic problems. I purchased it to see what was going on in system during the hills, etc. on my daily commute.