1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help Diagnosing Unintended/Uncommanded Acceleration Issue

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by nylion, May 2, 2009.

1. HSD

HSD New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    There is also a thread in lexusownersclub

Sudden Acceleration Resulting In Crash - Lexus Owners Club (USA & Canada)

I have also heard stories on internet about unintended acceleration on Yaris, Tacoma, Camry. But those cars are not hybrid cars. If there is any truth on these incidents then it is certainly not a hybrid related issue.

2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    It would be easy to do, and not expensive since the OBDII connection is already there. Make it WiFi enabled and the device could upload its own data. I could build one for Toyota, but I'm sure they already have what they need.

Tom

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think the key to the thing would be knowing what to log. It might even need to be specifically programmed based upon the type of problem. But I hear ya, it shouldn't be something hard to do. And honestly it would seem like a great customer satisfier AND a good way to really determine when and what incidences are real.

In other words, if a customer reports the car accelerating out of control on its own and the brakes simultaneously failing the reader could 1) check vehicle speed at the time, 2) check throttle sensor position, 3) check ICE rpm, 4) check the brake pedal position, 5) check the brake ECU status. It would be essentially impossible for someone to fake going 60mph at full throttle with the brake depressed...but if the sensor detected that happening they'd know there really was a problem.

4. Romeo

Romeo New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    My guess, for all non-drive-by-wire cars, it could be the Cruise Control failure causing sudden acceleration. And even on my Prius, I would probably replace or completely remove the cruise control if I had this issue. Just in case.

5. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Yes indeed, something us Macintosh users have been laughing about for over 20 years. I take it you don't have a Windows PC.

There are two folks who oppose such systems:

• drivers who think the speed limit is the minimum
    • vehicle manufacturers who want to protect their technology
    Could you elaborate on this system a little more? Any especially detailed URLs to take a peek at?

Bob Wilson

6. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    CANBus also has widespread use in industry, it isn't unique to automotive applications. I've had to use an Agilent 6000 series MSO to patiently track down some odd issues. Without exception, the issues I uncovered were due to a poor connection, intermittent connection, intermittent floating ground, etc

The Agilent MSO has smart software, it will automatically trigger on glitch. With deep memory scan and memory for a lot of events, it will readily capture glitches. Here is an example of a bus glitch I captured

[​IMG]

I've highlighted where the glitch occured

[​IMG]

This is another glitch the MSO captured, due to random noise caused by an oxidized connection

[​IMG]

This is another example of noise causing a momentary but serious glitch

[​IMG]

I wouldn't expect a dealership to invest +$50,000 in a sophisticated MSO, plus training on how to use it. A simple black box could be designed, plugged into the DLC3 port, to automatically trigger on glitch

If there is an actual glitch in by-wire throttle, it usually fails closed, not open.

Of course, I'm old enough to remember what happens if you forget to hook up the return spring when you install a brand new high performance carb. Talk about an exciting ride

7. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    the old toyota scantool can record data and can be purchased outside the dealer (ie, ebay) for a couple grand.

there's really nothing that can be done as far as diagnosis for a problem that is not occurring. how do they know if they fixed it if they can't reproduce the problem to begin with? short of having a tech drive it until it happens again with a scantool plugged in at all times.

8. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    My thinking is if we record the conditions leading up to the fault, we may gain a clue that allows us to reproduce the problem at will. Then it can be solved.

The one problem I have with monitoring the CAN bus is that it looks like query-response architecture. This means we would only see what is commanded, not necessarily what other states may be going on. Still having recorded data is more than we have today.

Bob Wilson

9. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The cruise control in the Prius is not a separate system. It is simply additional code in the ECU.

Tom

10. nylion

nylion New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My laptop has a line input and built in mic.

I have USB inputs and I do have a power adapter 12v to 125v.

I have a laptop I can keep in the car. My work laptop goes everywhere with me. If I didn't mention it before, my laptop has MS Windows 7 on it.

I wonder if recording only error events will work. When Toyota designed its events handlers, it may not have considered the events that trigger the problem. Ideally, we should capture all events and overwrite the list after it grows to a certain size.

There are some practical issues using a laptop. The biggest one is that I have to remember to boot it each time I use the car. That's asking a lot. There is also the obvious concern with it being stolen. My personal laptop is a very powerful Lenovo. I would consider buying a less expensive one for this purpose. I wonder if there is a data recording device that would be less expensive and better suited.

Are you aware of a way to read the car's complete "stream of consciousness" so that when this occurs, the engineers can see everything going on. I don't think the audio input is all that important. I can report that data. I am not concerned that I won't be believed, just want to help troubleshoot this.

11. nylion

nylion New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't think the issue is whether or not the customer is telling the truth. At least in my case, that's not the issue. In the software business (and I think that is what we are talking about here), when we have a rare, hard-to-find bug, we log every event; literally every step the program takes. We wait till the problem occurs, then we can see what was going on. It is a waste to just try to verify that the problem occured. It is better to record everything, then when it is reported again, check the event log. I am pretty sure that will include control positions, pedal pressures, etc. etc.

This is the worst sort of bug. In one application I worked on in the 80's (a financial program), bugs occured at a rate of one in every 5 million transactions. The bugs were real, but oh boy, what pain to diagnose and fix.

12. nylion

nylion New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

13. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I didn't mean to imply in your case, but as a general rule of thumb you have to exclude lots of possiblities. You are probably totally honest, but I think other cases are more likely to be driver error and they may not have quite the veracity you do with your complaint.

14. nylion

nylion New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

I've been thinking about what I know and don't know. I just chose this reply because it is the last.

What I know
    1. Reducing pressure on the brake (not releasing it) triggered the event.
    2. Pressing down hard stopped it
    3. Reducing pressure made it happen again (actually about 5 times)
    Given the conversation to date, this behavior would rule out a transient issue (momentary connection loss, noise, etc.) since the change in brake pedal pressure should have changed the state in the ECU. Granted, I don't know much about cars, but since I know that pressing the brake causes the ECU to do *something* under normal operations, I would think that the same is true even in an error condition.

Early in this thread, and in other threads regarding vehicles that suddenly accelerate, the cruise control is often found to be the culprit. In my case, this possible cause is almost ruled out by the fact that pressure on the brake should disengage cruise control.

However, the fact that the car kept trying to accelerate when I reduced brake pedal pressure, suggests the sort of thing cruise control would do if it ignored the brake pedal.

Last thought is that the problem stopped when I toggled the cruise control on and then off (via the button on the stem).

I know cruise control is part of the ECU.I am not referring to hardware...but software. The cruise control feature is a program that the ECU runs.

What do you think?

15. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I would suggest that calling it a bug before the actual problem is known could mislead. What if it is a very rare combination of a intermittently shorted wire and some other condition? "Bug" implies that it is universal in all Pri'i with the same software load. Capturing the internal state of the ECU without capturing the state of the signals feeding in could lead to the wrong diagnosis since only internal information is captured. I fully support the efforts to capture data, but I think it is a little soon to be calling it just a SW issue.

16. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    iirc cruise is inactive at 25 mph and below. i don't have access to documents to prove that right now, and i don't have the prius right now.

17. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    On The Bright Side, this is a benign form of unintended acceleration: when he stepped on the brake pedal the car stopped, just as it should. None of the lethal or potentially lethal uncontrollable acceleration that typifies these stories.

18. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Excellent!
    Rather than reply to the other notes, lets start here:
    • low-cost data recorder - ideally we'd like to have a computer that can 'sleep' and 'wake' easily. Some laptops have a magnetic reed switch that when a magnet comes close, the computer 'sleeps' and when the magnet goes away, the computer 'wakes', which means we don't have to reboot it each time.
    • some sort of programable batch capability - I prefer to write in Perl or if binary data, say data from a ODB-to-USB interface, I use 'c'.
    These features are common with linux and MacOS boxes. My typical practice at work is to take an old (300 mHz) laptop and rebuild it as a linux box. But getting it to 'sleep' and 'wake' is not an area I've spent much time.

Building and integrating the data capture machine is not that difficult but it is hard to describe it over the net. But I need a box like this for another purpose. Let me think about how to approach this for a bit.

I'm really interested in work that others may have done to integrate an OBD-to-USB device. I'll wander around the open source areas to see if something looks promising.

Your observations about the brake are interesting. I was reading about the traction control system for the 2010 Prius and the brake system lets the new "Power Management ECU" (replaces the hybrid vehicle ECU) reduce power when the brakes are applied and traction control events are occurring.

Bob Wilson

19. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    There are dedicated recorders with embedded RTOS's, such as dedicated power quality monitors or CANBus monitors running on either Wind River VXWorks or Green Hills Integrity

Unfortunately, for the most part, the "low cost" portion is missing from the equation. I prefer a good MSO as it has a lot of other uses for me outside of catching some CANBus glitches. The MSO I mentioned is easily $50,000 with a few options. The dedicated recorders are usually $6,500 and up

20. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I think I'll check what TI has been doing with the MSP430 series. If I can get an integrated CANbus and simcard microprocessor for a reasonable cost, it should be fairly easy to hack a 'data recorder.' Then use the JTAG interface to download the data for analysis.

Bob Wilson