1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help Diagnosing Unintended/Uncommanded Acceleration Issue

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by nylion, May 2, 2009.

1. nylion

nylion New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I didn't mean to infer you have no real world experience. Is there a case where Toyota replaced a vehicle for a problem they couldn't replicate? I couldn't refuse to take my car back. I need the transportation.

I followed your advice and contacted the Toyota Experience Center. They opened a file and told me that I would be assigned a hybrid case manager within 24 hours. The rep assured me that Toyota would work to replicate and fix this problem. I am encouraged and hopeful. I told the representative of my NHTSA report and my concern for my personal safety. Like all telephone representatives, he would not acknowledge that there have been other similar complaints.

Stay tuned.

2. nylion

nylion New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The car accelerated very aggressively...just the way it would if I floored the accelerator. Bear in mind that the car was peacefully stopped (engine off I think) at a traffic light for more than a minute. At no time did the accerator get touched. All I did was reduce pressure on the brake. As soon as I felt the surge, I pressed the brake hard.

3. nylion

nylion New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Very interesting. I will raise that point with Toyota. The only argument against that hypothosis is that the problem stopped when I toggled the cruise control on/off button. At no time did I touch the accelerator. Also, the ICE was either idling or off until I reduced brake pressure.

4. nylion

nylion New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Just one foot, My right one. (I have many years of standard transmission experience).

5. San_Carlos_Jeff

San_Carlos_Jeff Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    FYI, this sounds a lot different than the Audi issue. In that case what was concluded was that the brake and accelerator pedals may have been placed too close together causing users to mistake one for the other. There was no unintended acceleration it was user error magnified by questionable pedal placement.

6. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I

Actually, you may have answered the question I had previously; "Would anything other than the accelerator pedal cause an acceleration command?" I would think that the cruise control could fit that possibility....if other failure conditions were to occur as well. Time for more thinking, and understanding cruise control operation.

nylion - You have done the same thing that any pilot does when experiencing an aircraft issue. You reported all the details to the mechanics and maintenance experts....and have answered every question asked....and have not given up. Hopefully someone will figure out this puzzle.

7. timberwolf

timberwolf New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    When I was thinking about the Cruise Control, I thought it might be worth considering the role that the Combination Meter (the electronics in the dash) plays in relaying the speed to other ECUs. The Cruise Control isn't supposed to work below a certain speed and not from stopped, and I was puzzling over what might need to be intermittently faulty to allow the CC to engage when it shouldn't. It's probably a red-herring...

The following link doesn't seemingly relate to this problem but about half way down it talks about weird symptoms including various ECUs not knowing the speed.

Luscious Garage | Blog | LG TV - Prius Dead Dashboard

1 person likes this.
  8. nylion

nylion New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Here is an update. A representative from Toyota returned my call. He did acknowledge that there have been other complaints of unintended acceleration. He said that in those cases, Toyota decided it was driver error. Apparently in those cases, accidents occured and it was important for Toyota to lay the blame on the driver.

In my case, there was no accident. The Toyota rep said that unless they could replicate the problem, they couldn't do any repairs. I explained that this is a safety issue that could have very serious, life-threatening consequences should it happen again. I got polite agreemet that this could be a safety issue, but "Siorry unless we can replicate it or find error codes, it is Toyota's policy not to do repairs." I was invited to take the car back to the dealer to see if the dealer could replicate the problem. I pointed out that it seems to occur an average of once per 10,000 miles, the probability wasn't good that the dealer could make it occur.

I'm back to square one. I asked that the rep have his boss call me, but I suspect he will give me the same response (that's what the rep told me).

(discouraged)

9. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sorry to hear about the trouble you've been having with your vehicle and the lack of help coming from Toyota. I understand that you are not in a position to either trade in the car or stop driving it.

If I were in your position, I would replace the hybrid vehicle ECU as that is the computer that interprets the accelerator pedal position, controls the cruise function, and tells the engine ECU how much power the engine should produce.

To give you an idea of pricing, a salvage HV ECU for earlier Prius costs ~$250.
    http://motors.shop.ebay.com/__?_from=R40&_trksid=p3859.m39.l1313&_nkw=prius+hv+ecu&_sacat=

You'll need to obtain the latest revision HV ECU (not the traction battery ECU) that will work with your model year, but this is not an exorbitant expenditure. Good luck.

10. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If you're really serious about this: the next time it happens, immediately shut off the car, have it towed to a dealer (or perhaps call your insurance adjuster?), and have them query the "black box" which records applications of the brake and gas pedals along with speed. If there was an uncommanded acceleration that will show it. Unambiguous diagnosis without the expense and bother of shotgun-replacement of assemblies.

11. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Good call. A good ambiguity group includes everything that touches or may have some effect on the problem.

Bob Wilson

12. nylion

nylion New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

I looked up the service record on the Toyota's owners site. The description of the problem was NOT what I told the dealer. However, note what they said they did:

05/04/2009 ENGINE RUNABILITY ENGINE RUNABILITY ~|~CUSTOMER STATES ACCELERATOR SEEMS TO GET STUCK INTERMITTENTLY ~|~INSPECTED THROTTLE BODY FOR DEBRIS AND CHECK ECU FOR CODES. NO PROBLEM FOUND AT THIS TIME.

13. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The 'test' accelerator assembly arrived ...

I've got to take it home; mount it; clean it up; and start 'blue printing.'

Bob Wilson

14. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I doubt that an accelerator pedal failure is the cause of the OP's problem esp with no reported DTC. Try flooring the accelerator pedal when at speed, then press hard on the brake pedal with your left foot. The braking system action will definitely dominate over the drivetrain's efforts to accelerate.

If the OP found that the brake pedal did not do its job of dramatically slowing down the car and that the drivetrain was accelerating the vehicle although the accelerator pedal was not depressed, it seems more likely that the hybrid vehicle ECU (or maybe the skid control ECU) is the problem.

15. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    FYI:
    [​IMG]
    The upper one is from an NHW20 and the lower from an NHW11.

[​IMG]

I'll mount the NHW20 version on a board and rig up a simple circuit so we can test the electronics. Once we know how it works, it looks like a simple process to pry some tabs and take it apart. Then we'll look at what mechanisms might cause a problem.

Experimentation is how we refine a hypothesis. But mostly, I'm curious about what I'll find inside.

Bob Wilson

16. timberwolf

timberwolf New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    From the photos, the top of the two accelerator pedals looks as if it is entirely made of plastic?

17. Politburo

Politburo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Do the dealers have equipment to do this? I'd have to check the manual to be sure, but I thought the section on the black box mentioned that it had to be sent to Toyota Corporate.

Aside from the applicability to this issue, if the dealer can read the box, I'm not sure I like the idea that any mechanic could pull the data (though I'm not sure what, if anything, they could do with it).

18. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The NHW20 accelerator rod and housing is made from plastic.

Just 'hand compression,' the spring is pretty strong too. I'll try to measure the resistance force at 'first movement' and 'just before end' as well as the travel distance.

I really want to make sure I understand how the electronics works before opening the case. The earlier schematic will help but I don't remember seeing a value for the external resistance ... any guess on the resistor values in the hybrid vehicle ECU?

Does anyone know the color codes for these signals:

1. VPA - color - swing??
    2. EPA - color - ground??
    3. VCPA - color - 5 VDC
    4. VPA2 - color - swing??
    5. EPA2 - color - ground ??
    6. VCPA - color - 5 VCD
    I'll throw a 5 V linear on the back size of one of my 'wall warts'. But I would prefer to know which signal is 'low' or ground. Right now, I'm guessing EPA and EPA2 are ground but that is just a guess based upon usual schematic practice.

Bob Wilson

19. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi Bob,

Here are the colors for the six terminals:
    1. VPA - L - swing??
    2. EPA - B - ground??
    3. VCPA - Y - 5 VDC
    4. VPA2 - W - swing??
    5. EP2 - R - ground ??
    6. VCP2 - G - 5 VDC
    I don't know whether EPA and EP2 are connected to ground. The repair manual does not show this to be the case.

20. howardbc

howardbc Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I had a horrifying experience yesterday with my 2008 Prius suddenly accelerating.

I was pulling into a parking space at a store. The parking space was on a slight uphill incline. When I got to where I wanted to be, I thought I was pressing my brake, but the car suddenly roared across the median in front of me. The median contained large rocks, small bushes (maybe creosote bushes?), and a sidewalk. I went flying across the median to the other side, frantically trying to avoid cars parked on the opposite side of the median.

Fortunately there was no one on the sidewalk and there was an empty space between 2 cars sort of across from me that I could steer through. When I was able to finally stop the car, I was very shaken up, needless to say. Incredibly, no one appears to have seen me. I sat in my car for a long time with my head in my hands.

I guess I must have hit the accelerator instead of the brake. At least I’m hoping that’s what it is. As embarrassing as that is, I guess I would rather that be the case than something seriously wrong with the car. I have done extensive research on “unexplained accelerations,†but there seems to be no definitive proof, especially on newer cars.

According to what I read, Priuses don’t have any more “unexplained accelerations†than any other car. I thought about taking the car to the Toyota dealer to at least check to make sure there was no damage done to the underside.

I have read about old people hitting the wrong pedal and having accidents and thought “How stupid can they be?†but now I am humbled. When this acceleration thing happened, I was wearing a pair of shoes that are a little wider than others I usually wear. I swear I will never wear them again when I’m driving!

Afterwards, I realized how incredibly lucky I was that a) I didn’t hit a person on the sidewalk, b) I didn’t hit another car, and c) so far it appears that I did not damage my own car, although I ran over a pretty large rock. I kept looking for an oil spill under my car but so far, so good. I wonder, though, if I could have damaged the batteries or something else.

I felt so lucky that before I went home I bought 5 lottery tickets. Years ago, I used to buy just one maybe once a month (or less often than that), but I thought the least I could do is fatten the coffers of the State of Arizona. (No, I didn't win any money.)

Any feedback is appreciated.