1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help diagnosing

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Jimlarge, Aug 16, 2022.

1. Jimlarge

Jimlarge Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi guys I've been a member for a long time not many posts but I read in the forums a lot and I appreciate all and any help!

Dealing with a 2007 Prius that was a parts car then parked for one to two years but now due to circumstances I have the need to make it roadworthy again.

I put a 12v battery in it and put 3 tires on it and drove it about 150 miles and it seems to be worth fixing.

It runs/idles rough, almost shakes, and it has the ABS VSC maint reqd, airbag, tpms dash lights on.

The codes on techstream are as follows:
    C0200
    C2123
    B1421
    B1653
    B1655
    B1660
    B1821

The airbags are not of a concern, the current driver seat is not hooked up. The driver seat in the car is from a 2004 not sure if that will clear up the airbag light or not. Nonetheless the airbag isn't the biggest issue.

I'm really just looking for advice on what to try first and where to start.

Again I appreciate your help/comments.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

#1 Jimlarge, Aug 16, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2022
  2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    If you take another picture of that code sheet get the red text I have to go look all that up manually somebody will come along in a minute that knows them by I try not to memorize this stuff. Sitting is bad so I'm assuming you're talking about a 12 volt battery I have no idea The hybrid battery sitting that long is certainly not cool or you put in a hybrid battery and a 12 volt I don't know

3. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    So the C0200 is the ABS not happy with something about the right front wheel speed sensor or circuit.

C2123 is for a dead TPMS pressure sensor.

B1421 is the solar sensor for the A/C isn't in direct sunlight (ignore it).

Really, clean the throttle body bore and the MAF sensor. Put fresh gas in the tank plus a bottle of Techron (or another good injector cleaner) and drive the car- see what else pops up. Might need plugs and coils (get OE or Denso from a reputable source- ebay or amazon can be questionable for counterfeits).

Don't forget to keep all fluids full- esp engine oil. If things work, then think about doing maintenance stuff like fluid changes

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

4. Jimlarge

Jimlarge Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Update--
    I've put about 300 miles on now and it did give me a couple new codes.

Does anyone have a link to repair workup pdf for these?
    P0171 Bank 1 Lean
    P0304 Cylinder 4 Misfire

5. mr_guy_mann

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    P0171 fuel system lean- did you clean the throttle body and MAF sensor as suggested?

P0304 misfire cylinder 4 - bad spark plug and/or coil are at the top of the list. Could be injector, compression, or something else, but go over the ignition first.

6. mr_guy_mann

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    This is the sensing elements that should be carefully cleaned in the MAF. clean_maf.JPG

7. highmilesgarage

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    it's very common to have moisture settle in cylinder 4 and cause misfire due to water coming from the cowl. Take out the ignition coil on cylinder 4 (and the spark plugs too) and check the condition of the boot, it might have cracks or filled with oil. If it has cracks you can buy the boot for $5-$6, if it has oil then your valve cover is leaking. If you don't find anything wrong visually, swap the coil with cylinder 1 and see if the code changes to P0301, if it does then the coil is bad. You can also inspect/swap the spark plugs when the code is still the same.

Your P0171 might go away if the misfire is addressed. If you know how to read fuel trims at idle and high rpm then you can identify vacuum leaks, fuel issue or maf issue.