1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help! Dirty Permanent Carbon Engine Air Filter

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Richie Conway, Jan 8, 2015.

1. Richie Conway

Richie Conway Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hello Everyone, I know that the boards typically say to not clean the carbon filter that is permanently fixed into the air filter housing; however, mine is so gunked up that it is black. Just to clarify, I am not talking about the filter that is replaceable, nor the cabin air filter, but the one that is permanently fixed into the engine air filter housing lid. Can that top housing piece be hosed out? What can I do? I have had a gradual drop in mpg, down to 43 and I'm thinking that may be the reason why. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Could it be just a sound damper, not a filter? Not familiar with second gem, just winging it.

3. Yakoma

Yakoma Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Picture please?

4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That filter should not affect your MPG. You can try and vacuum it, it's not suppose to be replaced. 43mpg in the winter is very respectable mpg. Not sure many of us do better during winter.

Also the Prius engine requires very little air, even if the air filter is not that new, it still shouldn't cause a significant drop in MPG.

5. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    As you noted, that carbon filter element is not replaceable.

I guess you have two options:
    1) new air intake cover (which will probably include a new carbon element filter); $101.57 at Camelback Toy. LINK.
    2) attempt to clean it and see what happens.

If you are still averaging 43MPG, my buddies in the Great Lakes area (MI, IL), hate you! They get mid to high 30's now.

When was the last time the throttle plate was cleaned?

POST #5, from a different thread asking nearly same thing as OP above. Link.
    Worry not. The modern computer controlled engine will still be efficient (negligible impact on MPG), even if air intake is SEVERELY RESTRICTED. Link to 2009 EPA study.

#5 exstudent, Jan 8, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2015
    Mendel Leisk likes this.
  6. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I took mine out...

7. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I agree that the engine will remain efficient. However "efficiency" does not mean that engine power output will remain unchanged as the engine air intake is reduced. As the dirt in the engine air filter builds up and it becomes difficult for intake air to enter the engine, it will produce less power. That reduced power will be produced at an efficient blend of air and fuel.

8. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    The (non-replaceable) carbon filter element attached to the cover of the air intake (NOT the engine air filter) is there to absorb any residual fumes after the engine is turned off. It should have absolutely NO effect on MPG. Can't tell you how yours got "gunked up", though.

9. Easy Rider 2

Easy Rider 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    You do know that carbon IS black........right ?? :)

10. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Has it been resolved: does air flow through this secondary "filter", or is it just attached to the cover, and it's function is to absorb fumes or something?

11. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Through

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  12. Richie Conway

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hello everyone! Sorry between work and school it took a while to get back on here. The system requires wait time between each post, so I will just post in here and I hope you get it!

Regarding MPG, although it is "winter," where I live is 60-80 degrees F year around. The coldest it gets at night in winter is still above freezing, and that's rare, so the time of the year shouldn't make a difference for me.

I tried cleaning it out, there was a lot of sludge in it that came out. However, it took a little time for water to flow through it and after 147k miles my guess is that it should be replaced. I read some of the forums on here that said to just rip it out, so I did. Problem solved.

The MPG hasn't increased unfortunately. It is still doing sub par. 43 was the best I got. I have also been getting down to 39 and that's with trying good driving tips.

13. Richie Conway

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Good question. I have no clue when the throttle plate was cleaned. I bought it used and didn't see anything like that in the paperwork. What would that do and is that a DIY type of thing? I am poor, so I hope so!

Thanks

14. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    it is diy. you get some carb cleaner (they call it something else now since there's no carburetors anymore) and a soft lint free rag. remove the air box, push the throttle plate open, spray the cleaner on the rag and wipe all the grime off. do not hose the throttle body down with the cleaner even though it says to on the can.
    btw, most of us over inflate the tires to get better mpg, about 40psi.

15. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Avoid Carb Cleaner (may not be O2 sensor safe; this was from a post by Galaxee)! Link, post #10. You can buy throttle plate cleaner and MAF sensor cleaner from auto parts stores, Amazon, and Wrongmart (has the pair for $8).

Use search function of Priuschat, "throttle plate," to find appropriate threads covering this topic with details of how-to.

YouTube has lots of videos covering this on cars in general; possible someone loaded a Prius how-to.

DO NOT USE paper towels, napkins, etc. Only use a clean, lint free rag; use an old cotton shirt w/o print work if need be.

What is you tire pressure? Manufacture recommended tire pressure of 35/33 is too low. Many here do more, such as: 40/38, 42/40, etc. Perhaps all four of your tires are severely under inflated?

Do you check your oil level regularly? You should get into the habit of regularly checking your oil (every gas fill-up, once a week, every other week, etc). There are many first post by people alarmed that their Prius is suddenly consuming a lot of oil or they noticed the low oil pressure light. Check on as flat as ground as possible, with engine off for a few minutes (so oil can drain back into oil pan) or after hours/overnight (if possible).

Spark plugs should have been changed at 120K miles. We're these changed out and the correct NGK or Denso plugs installed.

Minimal junk in the trunk too?

#15 exstudent, Jan 14, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2015
  16. PriusGuy32

PriusGuy32 Prius Driver Extraordinaire

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I didnt see it mentioned, but if you are cleaning the throttle body, you might want to consider cleaning the MAF sensor too. That requires MAF sensor cleaner, available at most auto parts stores. Cleaning my MAF sensor (mine was all funky) resulted in a much smoother idle and slightly better mpgs.