1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help - does anyone burn their own CDs and get Metadata to work?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by phoenixgreg, Jun 24, 2011.

1. phoenixgreg

phoenixgreg Senior member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Just wondered if anyone here burns their own CDs for use in your Prius. I listen to Shoutcast internet radio and use Streamripper to cut individual tracks as mp3 files. I then import each track into Audacity for some final clean-up (fade outs and volume control). The next step is to export the track as an mp3 file again where I add Metadata information such as the artist, song name, genre, etc. The Metadata is stored properly with the track. When I re-import it, the data is still there. The final step is to burn the tracks to a CD for use in my Prius.

Here’s my problem: I can’t get the Metadata to show up on the CD player as it just comes back as “No Title†– even though the music is fine.

Here’s what I’ve tried to no avail:
    Burning the mp3 files using Windows Media Player with burn setting of WPL
    (Tracks play fine but NO TITLE is displayed even when pressing TEXT button)

Burning the mp3 files using Windows Media Player with burn setting of M3U
    (Tracks play fine but NO TITLE is displayed even when pressing TEXT button)

Doing a direct copy of the mp3 files to a CD
    (Player would not recognize tracks)
    Has anyone had success doing this? If so, please give details. Thanks :)

NOTE: I have access to Nero Suite if that gives recognizable Metadata on CD burns.

2. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I play MP3 CDs in my Prius V (w/ nav) with no issues--displays artist/album/track info.

I rip CDs with Exact Audio Copy w/ LAME, and burn CDs with Nero. Attachment below has ISO settings I use.

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  3. phoenixgreg

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks stream! I hadn't tried that yet but I have the exact same Nero panel specs as you show. I'll give it a shot and see if Metadata can be displayed on my M II. I also use Lame v3.98.3 with Audacity for the MP3 output which allows me to enter the Metadata info (if any is missing).

4. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I use iTunes and never had an issue with titles or tracks not showing up. The CD player has a preference for commercial discs, though, because it often takes several tries for my own CDs to be recognised and start playing.

1 person likes this.
  5. phoenixgreg

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I've heard Metadata is tricky to get right. I just discovered my burner went TU so I need to replace it first. Hopefully between stream's suggestion and a new unit, I can get this to work.

6. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The other thing I've found helpful is to burn at the lowest write speed--for Nero it's 8x. That, plus the settings in my other post, and I've had zero issues in this and several previous cars.

1 person likes this.
  7. Hokeysmoke

Hokeysmoke Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    No problems with metadata here in a Prius III no Nav. I use Windows Media Player and iTunes and occasionally edit the data directly by right clicking on the MP3 itself (using Windows XP). For burning, I just use the built in burning capabilities of the OS and burn a "data CD".

1 person likes this.
  8. phoenixgreg

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My computer tech (also a friend) just left after showing me how to burn CDs as "data". I had several folders (Windows XP) with a variety of MP3 radio files in them. He was able to use the "MP3 Jukebox" feature in Nero and store all the folders on one CD. In fact, there would have been room for about 6 to 8 hours worth, if I had that much.
    Once the CD was in the Prius player, The folder button would toggle thru each burned folder and by rotating the tuner knob, you can then toggle thru each song. All the metadata was displayed properly too.

There's free software called MP3tag that let's you edit all the metadata in a group of songs making the task much easier. I now have a whole new way to enjoy music in my Prius! Thanks to all who gave suggestions.

9. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Good, you got it to work. It's great being able to listen to your own choice of music. :)