1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help! Emergency Replacement Key near Philadelphia?

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by feivel, Jun 25, 2018.

1. feivel

feivel Junior Member

Is there anyone in or near Philadelphia with the appropriate tools to program a key for my Prius V? The only key for this car disappeared yesterday, and they just posted signs that street work starts tomorrow and cars will be towed at 6AM. We've searched everywhere! I'm about to tow it to the dealership, and they say they charge over $500 to make a new key.

Bonus points (or dollars) if anyone can do it today, so I don't have to tow it. I have extra (used) fobs from other Prii if they can be reset (I own four of them; we are travelling science teachers). If not, I can tow it for now, and order keys on Ebay if necessary.

Thank you!!!

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    call the closest dealer, only they or another skilled locksmith can do it, and it requires tech stream software, and possibly an ecu change.

3. feivel

feivel Junior Member

Oh, I know! I'm told it'll be over $500 plus I'd have to tow it there. I'm hoping someone has a mobile setup that doesn't charge dealership prices.

4. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    It is required to have a factory equivalent scanner to modify settings on the car in order to use another fob. I always tell people to have two fobs available (but not in the same place) at all times. It's easier and cheaper to create a new key if you have an old fob.

5. feivel

feivel Junior Member

Well, that was quick and easy. A fellow drove up with his van, and hooked this bluetooth device to my OBD port and his android phone:
    Xtool X-100 C for iOS and Android Auto Key Programmer for Ford/Mazda/Peugeot /Citroen
    (EDIT: this is the wrong one. Looks like it'd be the X-100 T for Toyota. )
    It takes 15 minutes to reset the MCU and you have to leave the driver door open.

Then you hold the key up to the power button and hit "add additional key," the car beeps, and you're done.

Also, the "we have to order laser cut keys from toyota that take a few days and cost another bazillion dollars - he copied the code numbers from the door lock, and typed them into a little key cutter, and it was done in 5 minutes.

Less than a half-hour. He charged $375, but that's with a huge markup from the dispatcher.
    The Toyota dealership says it takes at least three hours of tech labor, plus the keys, plus sending out for the metal key. Ouch.

#5 feivel, Jun 25, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2018
    bisco and RobH like this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    did he just happen to drive up?

Raytheeagle likes this.
  7. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    That’d be something if it were the case.

Brings new meaning to the words: Good Samaritan (y).

bisco likes this.