1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

HELP, ENGINE SPUTTERING

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Levandosky, Nov 7, 2021.

1. Levandosky

Levandosky Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Hello! I am an owner of a 2007 prius with 170k miles. Today I was driving on a regular highway road in utah going around 40 mph and the acceleration started sputtering, giving out no power when pressed to the floor or almost minimal power, randomly 10-15 seconds in it stops and it’s like my car jolts back into power. I thought maybe low oil levels as my car does eat 4 quarts every 1000-1200 miles, but when i checked my levels were fine. A little observation the oil was super runny falling off of the dipstick and so clear that i overfilled on accident and had to empty out from the bottom. I got an oil change 3 days ago. It’s really strange, feels like the transmission is giving out, oh another observation the vent in the back that cools the battery i think (right by the rear passenger door) well it’s super loud, i never even knew there was that vent until this started happening.
    It may be happening because i have a spare on right now and that would make sense at high speeds but it’s happening almost too much and at lower speeds where i was driving 5-10 miles per hour almost made me think i was out of gas

#1 Levandosky, Nov 7, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2021
  2. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It sounds like you a failing HV battery (HV battery fan is running on high), are there any warning lights being displayed on the dash?

Burning that much oil isn't helping the catalytic converter, have you considered a 'piston soak' and/or using BG products "EPR" in the oil?

FYI : you're moderated until you've posted 5 times.