1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help for a newbie buying a prius?

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by PapaMurphysLaw, May 24, 2018.

1. PapaMurphysLaw

PapaMurphysLaw Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi! I'm looking for a 2nd generation prius up to $5500. I have found a few in that range, both from dealers and individuals but I don't have any experience in buying hybrids and am unsure of what is the best way to find the right prius.

I have three questions which are, how many miles is the max I should consider for a 2G Prius? Toyota dealerships provide a full diagnostics test for $100. Will that reveal the majority issues so it'd be safe to buy if they recommend? Is a 2G prius worth buying at this point in time over another hybrid model of a different make in that price range?

Hopefully those questions make sense and some of you pros can give some feedback! Thank you for any help you may give.

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to PriusChat! Let's see...

1. It really depends. A Gen 2 Prius is pretty reliable (both engine stuff and hybrid stuff). The higher mileage models may have had hybrid batteries replaced so always ask if it's on the original or if it's been replaced. A higher mileage model with a newer battery will net you better mpg since the battery is newer. One on the original battery is fine but like any older/high mileage car, always budget for repairs (for a HV battery, it's about $2-4k depending on your local taxes and technician hourly rates). Again, don't be afraid about "oh I gotta replace the battery". If you do, hey, you got a lightly used Prius for less money (the engine isn't as worn as the mileage suggests since it's not running for all of those miles + the new battery = new-ish car in terms of driving performance)
    2. Not necessarily. I find Toyota technicians are starting to rely a bit too much on diagnostic tests. Sometimes, it may not throw a code. (e.g. a fray wire because a mouse chewed on it). If there's a more complete one (e.g. a 155-point inspection), that would be more worth it as they will check stuff like the brakes, suspension parts, steering wheel parts etc
    3. It's reliable so yes. Other hybrids may be newer but they'll be first generation (e.g. 1G Sonata Hybrid/Optima Hybrid or Fusion Hybrid) which will not be as refined in the hybrid operation as the Prius. However, somewhere in the back of my mind, I recall Hyundai having some sort of lifetime warranty for the battery. I can't remember if it's transferable to subsequent owners or only available for the initial owner - that's something worth considering. But in terms of hybrid mpg, cost of maintenance and practicality (hatchback), the 2G Prius is a good combination.

Sidebar: Two recommendations when looking for a 2G Prius...

1. I would strongly recommend looking for one with side & side curtain airbags. Those models fared better in side crash protection than those without. 2007-2009 models have it as standard equipment but 2004-2006 models were optionally available.
    2. I would avoid models with HID headlights as they tend to be problematic.

Tamaruni and RCO like this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how many years and miles do you plan on keeping it? start a repair fund for unforeseen problems.

the battery has an 8/100 warranty, so any gen 2 will be over. a new one installed will run between $2,500. and $4,000.

there is also a potential brake actuator issue, and they are quite pricey.

4. PapaMurphysLaw

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If there's a more complete one (e.g. a 155-point inspection), that would be more worth it as they will check stuff like the brakes, suspension parts, steering wheel parts, etc
    [/QUOTE]

Thank you so much for that information! It'll be very useful. As for that "155-point inspection", are there any preferred or recommended places that provide that inspection? I have not heard of it before. Also, does it check both electrical and normal engine parts of the car? Thank you!

RCO likes this.
  5. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I would’ve thought a dealership would do it (in Canada, they’re done as part of the CPO program). Also, when we move provinces, we’re required to do a vehicle inspection so any tire/brake/lube place in Canada can do inspections. I don’t know about the US.

6. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Is there a reason you keep creating new threads on the same topic?

7. PapaMurphysLaw

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry, I've created two threads purposefully so far; this and one on where to buy a prius. The third was an accident as I meant to delete its copy.

8. PapaMurphysLaw

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Okay thank you I'll look into it

9. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ahh ok. I approved the first one and deleted the second.

10. MelonPrius

MelonPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The 2nd gen Prius is very reliable, and it's your best bet for a hybrid in that price range. But I'd focus my attention on the hybrid (traction) battery. The is the major component that you wouldn't have to worry about on a Corolla or Fit.

The rule of thumb used by some board members is to expect a life expectancy of 10 years- it could last less or it could be much longer. It becomes a catch 22. Nearly all of the cars that you will be looking at will be at the age where their traction battery could need replacing. Or, the car had an aftermarket battery put in, which has created a new set of headaches. If the Prius had an OEM battery put in, it wouldn't be for sale, or it would be priced above your budget.

There are plenty of Gen2 Prius on the road with perfectly healthy batteries, but these usually aren't for sale. Among the Gen2 Prius for sale, the percentage with struggling batteries goes way up (IMO), which is why they are for sale to begin with. If there was a crystal ball that owners of a 10+ year old Prius would want, it would be one that would tell us when the traction battery would fail and many would sell the car shortly before that.

This is a long way to ask the question: What will you do in the case of a failed battery shortly after you purchase it? What is your budget for this?

11. PapaMurphysLaw

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If the battery failed shortly after I purchased it my current thoughts are to either get a refurbished battery for $1000 or a new one for $2000 depending on the cost to install. Though of course I'd prefer not to and will not purchase a prius over 130,000 miles to try to push that off. What would you suggest? Also, I'm not sure what experience you have in this area, but do you know of any reliable sites or places to purchase a prius from in that range? My source for my area (KSL Classifieds) has been dry for a while now. Thanks!

12. MelonPrius

MelonPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three