1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help for P011B coolant temp CEL--Dealer can't fix!

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Michael Rogers, May 7, 2017.

1. Michael Rogers

Michael Rogers Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hello.

I have Gen3 [2013] Prius that has a P011B error code CEL that the dealer can't fix.

After replacing the coolant sensor, the CEL still keeps showing. Over winter it was off mostly. Now it's warmer and it's on mostly [sometimes goes off for a couple of days and then back on for weeks]. Dealer said the code means there is a discrepancy between the coolant temp reading and the air temp reading during the initial start-up readings the ecu pulls.

Initially the dealer said the coolant sensor was faulty and replaced it. I took it back to the dealer when the CEL came back on a couple days later and the service adviser, service tech, and service manager took me into the service manager office and they told me what service diagnostics they had done and that they couldn't fix it. Period. My car is out of warranty, and they don't know how to fix it. Good news was that the CEL is reflecting incorrect readings and it is not a danger to drive with it on for this code. But the car still has a CEL on on the dash and it may hide some other problem.

Here is what the service tech said in the notes of the follow-up repair invoice [which is what they told me they had done]:

"93402 P011B stored 1.50 hook up techstream and pull codes. Same code was present, P011B. Performed inspections of sensors, both reading normally at this time, 150 air temp and 142 coolant temp. Disconnect sensors and temps drop to -40, indicating open circuit which is normal. Opened TAS case and discussed with engineer. May have issue with Air Temp sensor since air temp was reading 105 degrees at cold start up and coolant temp was 55 which seems normal and most likely ambient temperature. Would try Air Temp/Mass Air Flow Sensor as next stage, although TAS shows case where this DID NOT repair vehicle."

Is there someone who can give me some advice about this?

Should I try replacing the Mass Air Flow sensor?
    Should I try an ECT spoofer?
    Should I try a couple sticks of dynamite?

Thanks, MichaelRogers

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Isn't there additional support can get from Toyota? I don't think a Toyota dealer should be giving that answer, they cannot fix their own product.

SM-N900P ?

Dyjital and Raytheeagle like this.
  3. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    It is unfortunate that this was their response. It might be worth a call to toyota directly and share your experience.

How many miles on your Prius? Any history of accidents or damage? Did this code just pop up one day out of the blue, or were there some circumstances that may have led to the code?

Where in the US are you located? We might be able to help you find a better shop if we know your geographic location.

4. Michael Rogers

Michael Rogers Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hello. Thanks for the response. Car has 105k now. Problem for awhile now. Car is in Santa Fe, NM. Dealer is Toyota of Santa Fe. Car had a fender bender before I bought it, not on CarFax. Called Toyota corporate and they could do nothing--out of warranty. Did offer $750 discount on purchase of a Toyota in future. Any ideas?

Raytheeagle likes this.
  5. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Are you the DIY type? Any issues with the wires? Have you inspected or looked at the sensors?

6. Yippeekyaa

Yippeekyaa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three

Did the accident do damage to the front of the car? If so maybe the ambient temp sensor got damaged?

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    there should be a regional toyota engineer to help dealers who can't figure out a problem. it has nothing to do with warranty.

jerrymildred likes this.
  8. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The MAF sensor is inexpensive and easy to replace, so I recommend you try that prior to blowing up the car.

9. slewinson

slewinson Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Find somebody nearby with the same model and start swapping parts?