1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help for selecting correct 12V battery

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Braveslice, Feb 14, 2016.

1. Braveslice

Braveslice Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello! My first post, I have been reading this forum a lot lately because I bought Prius 2008, 186400 miles on it (300k km) week ago. I write this from Finland, EU, Prius is not popular here.

I went to car parts store to buy Prius battery but he couldn’t say which one of the two he has is correct for me. Later at home, when reading the dimensions, I realized these actually maybe 2 same size batteries. Is the auxiliary battery same for all Prius models 2004-2016? Toyota spare battery is 2.5x more expensive, so I would like to get one of these. Preferably Bosch.

Bosch S4030 40Ah/330A, length: 187mm, wide: 127mm, height:227mm. In text it says fits if dimensions (19x13x23cm)

Sznajder 40AH/330A, length: 187mm, wide: 127mm, height:223mm. In text it says fits if dimensions (18.7x12.7x22.3cm)

So there seems to be 4 mm (0.1575 inches) difference in height, is this crucial?

Unfortunately I can’t post links to products because I’m so new, but it’s all in finish anyways. If you like to find the products the store is motonet.fi, and in search field for Sznajder type: 90-54030, and for Bosch type: 90-4030.

Thank you in advance.

2. andrewclaus

andrewclaus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    It looks like the Bosch battery may have the terminals in the opposite positions, assuming the red cap is positive. I can't tell much from the photo of the Sznajder, but the case (handle and vent tube hole) look more like the Toyota battery. I can't read whether either is an AGM (aerated glass mat) battery, to meet the Toyota specification for a battery in the passenger cabin.

Braveslice likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome! in the u.s. there are 3 different batteries. gen 2, 2004 -9, sks (larger) and non sks. gen 3 2010 - 15, just the larger one. gen 4, 2016, a whole different battery under the bonnet. exide unavailable there?

#3 bisco, Feb 14, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2016
    Braveslice likes this.
  4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It would be best for you to refer to the physical dimensions of the original equipment battery. That is usually GS Yuasa, S46B24R. Alternatively, the smaller 12V battery is S34B20R.

The GS Yuasa English-language catalog can be found here: http://www.gs-yuasa.com/en/products/pdf/Automotive-MadeinJapan.pdf

The S46B24R case dimensions are 238 mm length x 128 mm width x 202 mm height. The terminal height is 227 mm. The electrical rating is 45 Ah and 325 CCA. The "R" means that the positive terminal of the battery is on the left side, when the battery is positioned so that the case terminals are closest to you. The S34B20R has a 197 mm length and the other dimensions are similar to S46B24R. It is rated at 35 Ah and 272 CCA.

The terminal polarity orientation is important to observe. You do not want a battery with reversed polarity because you would need to install the battery with the terminals adjacent to the fender, a safety issue in the event of an accident hitting that fender.

In North America, that S46B24R battery is used for the Smart Entry/Smart Start equipped Prius. Lower level Prius without that system are equipped with S34B20R.

In Finland, with the cold winter climate, your Prius vehicles may have S46B24R as standard equipment. I suggest you find the battery and measure its length to be sure.

Braveslice likes this.
  5. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I don’t think they are that rare here.

I think all Priuses here (unless you have grey import model without smart key) do have the bigger battery.

Only two batteries that I could easily get here maybe year ago were Bosch and Toyota battery from dealer. Bosch battery was S4 something. It has exactly the correct dimensions (and terminals and polarity) but it needs adaptor for vent tube and plug for the other vent hole (adaptor and plug are just the most common type). Bosch battery is not good at charging up when it’s cold (maybe colder than -18c or 0F) so if you park your Prius outside and don’t drive much in winter I think you shouldn’t get one. And Bosch battery is not AGM. I would just get the dealer one.

For some reason many catalogs somehow get the polarity wrong on Prius battery. And battery will fit in and bolt on nice but you do have reverse polarity that will cause very bad damage.

#5 valde3, Feb 14, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2016
    Braveslice likes this.
  6. Braveslice

Braveslice Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you very much guys! I realized luckily, from you guidance, that buying a Prius battery can go wrong too. Today I was going to the car to see the battery myself and maybe to take some photos, just to have too much snow fall, and I decided to give another shot to specialized car battery store. This one was super good, they replaced the battery with VARTA A15, the whole job with battery cost 84 dollars.

He said, I had the ‘small’ battery, no smart key.

m.wynn and bisco like this.
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats!(y)

Braveslice likes this.
  8. Gnes

Gnes New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi can you pass me the battery store name . I have the same issue. Me too from finland.