1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

***HELP! How do I determine info from a "NEW" main Hybrid Battery?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by 2007Gen2, Mar 3, 2016.

1. 2007Gen2

2007Gen2 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    OK, going to look at a Prius --maybe buy. I am going to have it inspected and need to determine if what they seller is claiming is true.
    He claims that a new hybrid battery was installed--the big guy--the expensive one. How do I tell if indeed it was installed?
    He has the paperwork.Is there a place I can look on the battery to confirm its a new one and double check that it is the one on the paperwork listed?

I looked at the car once and before I buy I want to verify that it is indeed the battery and it wasnt pulled out and replaced with some other battery since I last saw it.

It looks like a great car otherwise--just want to make sure its all in order before plunking down $$.

Thanks

2. BZzap!

BZzap! Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Big question here: Who installed it? If a dealer did it it is usually very easily traced. The paperwork will have VIN, Date, P/N, etc.. If not, you'll have to take the selling party's word for it or take the back seat out, remove the floor panel and physically verify it. Also, a new battery vs a reconditioned battery are two different horses.

3. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You would have to partially disassemble the back, but it does not involve removing the seats.

Remove the rear package tray cover, and package tray.
    Then could peek at the edge of the battery pack. See if it painted one of the colors used by rebuilders. (orange, green, black, etc)
    Next step would involve removing the 10mm bolts on the package hold down rings and removing the plastic fabric cover so you could see the battery cover.
    Then decode the date code on the cover.

But even then it's not 100% guarantee, I suppose. Someone could have put on an alternate cover.

I'd say get the paperwork and get the battery info in writing on the bill of sale.

4. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    My money is on a refurb/rebuilt HV Battery.

If it was truly NEW, the seller would proudly display the dealer service invoice, that shows a NEW HV battery was installed. A true NEW HV battery would be a BIG selling point. This can be corroborated at Toyota.com, Owners section, entering VIN. You could also ask your local Toyota dealer to pull up ervice history of the vehicle via VIN.

5. ericbecky

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I suppose for 100% certainty you would need to fully disassemble the rear compartment, remove the high voltage battery pack, and open it up so you could read all the serial numbers on the cells.

6. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    What, there is no serial number on the battery? There should be, and it should also be on the invoice.

7. ericbecky

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    There is a serial number on the cover of the battery.
    But is is easy to swap covers.
    I can't imagine anyone would go through that much trouble in order to fools someone.
    That said, there could be a situation where an old cover is put on a brand new Toyota OEM pack. Or vice versa. Not likely. But possible.

8. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    We need to know vehicle Model Year and Miles. We have had almost no (extremely few) Gen3 batteries replaced at least on PriusChat, If so they would likely be replaced under warranty.

We are in the Gen3 thread category here.

And then when as it replaced? There should be a Toyota warranty 1-3 years depending on date of installation and who installed it.