1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help! How do I remove the battery +12V terminal wire from the fuse box?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by justlurkin, Oct 27, 2010.

1. justlurkin

justlurkin Señor Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks in advance for anyone who can give me a hint on how to do this!

I'm going away for a couple months and so I read up on what to do to prepare my '07 Prius for long-term storage.

Patrick Wong (thanks!) had mentioned the best way to disconnect the +12V battery from the system is to open the fuse box next to the inverter, open the red terminal cover, unfasten the nut holding the copper terminal wire, and lift off the terminal wire and let it sit outside the red terminal cover.

I found those things easily enough, but after removing the nut, I can't remove the terminal wire! It's clipped onto the side of the fuse box and I have no idea how to release that clip. Can anyone tell me how to release that clip?

Thanks!

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Try using needle-nose pliers to pull up the wire from the terminal post.

3. korat102

korat102 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Wouldn't it be easier to just unbolt the ground cable from the chassis?

4. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Why, YES IT WOULD!!!!!

EASIER AND SAFER TOO!!!

5. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It wouldn't be easier if you want to lock up the car for storage. You would have to crawl into the hatch area and release the hatch lock manually when it is time to put the car back into service.

That is why the dedicated jumpstart terminal exists in the main relay/fuse box. That is also why the procedure was developed to disconnect the battery by removing the cable that connects to that terminal. There's nothing unsafe about the procedure.