1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

HELP!!! How to remove gas from tank? Hurricane Sandy coming tonight!!!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Beachbum, Oct 28, 2012.

1. Beachbum

Beachbum Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Post-hurricane followup:

Thanks everyone for all the posts. So here is what I did:

First, as stated in my original post, you CANNOT siphon gas from a Prius no matter what size hose you use. There is something in the filler neck that prevents the siphon hose from reaching the tank. Probably some sort of wire mesh screen or something installed as an anti-theft device. In fact most all cars today have this anti-theft device. Try it sometime, you will see.

But I did fill up our 3 cars before the storm hit. And was able to pump gas out of my Honda Odyssey's 22 gal fuel tank using the electric fuel pump. Luckily there was a quick-connect coupling under the hood for the fuel line, before the fuel rail and very easy to get to. I didn't even need a wrench or have to release the pressure. Just squeezed 2 tabs and it popped right off. Connected an appropriate sized rubber hose to it and ran it to my gas can. Turned the key on to activate the fuel pump and pumped away.

So I had plenty of gas to keep my generator humming (and the wife and kids happy) for the 4 days we lost power. And didn't have to wait in 3-hour long lines to fill up my gas can!

So the moral of this story is...it's just too difficult to pump gas out of a Prius. But if you're ever in a crisis situation, as I was, try doing it as described above with some other car.

Good luck. And let's hope we never have another hurricane like Sandy. It literally destroyed the Jersey shore and did extensive damage throughout the state.

Read more: http://priuschat.com/threads/help-how-to-remove-gas-from-tank-hurricane-sandy-coming-tonight.117326/#ixzz2DBf8lYJH

PriusGuy32 and wjtracy like this.
  2. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you for your report on the mighty storm.
    I guess we did not know you had an Odessey (car I mean) with a full tank.
    I am struggling with gasoline safety and what a survival expert might say the correct course of action might have been in your case. But you did what you had to do and it worked for you. Thank you for following up on your OP, that adds a lot to your story.