1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help - How to replace "Center Dash Upper Storage Compartment"

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by smc077, Sep 6, 2022.

1. smc077

smc077 New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hello everyone - My 2009 has the compartment door/cover located below the CD player broken and it does not spring back into the right position since the plastic hook is missing. The part I mentioned is the red part in the photo. On Toyota's website the part is called "Instrument Panel Trim Panel". On eBay there are sellers selling the part, for instance: itm/284866472352. There are some videos on YouTube that walk you through removing parts around the dashboard but I couldn't find any information on how to replace the specific part. There are some relevant posts on here for Gen 1 but not for Gen 2. Can anyone help me on this? 2009_toyota_prius_base-pic-4470302613465986927.jpeg

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    The way I remember doing it recently is popped both those air conditioning vents off very carefully you break them and you're screwed everybody thinks they're worth $400 a piece once that's done you'll see screws and whatnot right next to the whole mess to take that door off that cup out the radio out etc look carefully I have no way to mark the screws for you and put a picture up I can't ever make it work more frustrating than not it's a very simple procedure to get the clear door off mine won't open because it's warped and when you push the open it it just sticks I have to move way over to the far left corner push and it'll open and come out My pin is still intact

3. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Look for youtube videos for removing the MFD. That will get you 90% of the way to where you need to be, and it will expose all the remaining fasteners you'll need to remove in order to pop the storage area out for replacement.

Remember the AC vents get pulled straight out. Use a trim tool at the bottom and top. Wiggle it into the gap at the bottom/top and pry slowly outward. If it's very brittle, sometimes nothing will save it from cracking, but I've had a lot of success using this method, even on vents that are already cracked.

4. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Because I know where the yellow click fasteners are on the vents sometimes I take a little WD-40 and just give it a little shot where those yellow things are and then when I use my fingernails on top and bottom of the vents they slide right out without incident usually.

5. smc077

smc077 New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks guys.

Tombukt2 likes this.