1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

HELP! Hybrid battery died.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Desert Flier, Apr 24, 2021.

1. Desert Flier

Desert Flier Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Update. I decided to go with OEM Toyota from the dealer. These battery cells are brand new and the battery comes with a few updated parts. All Phoenix metro dealers have the same price. $1950 with a $1350 core charge. New Panasonic battery cells with all the new hardware and a couple of electrical cables that I have to swap out. I considered price, warranty, reliability, BBB complaints etc and it seemed IMO that the OEM battery was the best option for me. But, all that being said, there are other options out there for a few hundred dollars cheaper. Nonetheless, I've found over the years that Toyota's can be a bit finicky with aftermarket parts and this option was the most comfortable option for me. Once installed, I'll close the thread out with a final update.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats! i don't think you'll regret it (y)

3. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    DO not forget to swap ALL your old parts to the new battery. The black plastic piece that slips onto the clamp bars is one that gets forgotten sometimes and will cause your battery to overheat by allowing air to flow out the electronics section instead of being forced down through the modules.

4. Desert Flier

Desert Flier Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Job complete. Very straight forward for those with some mechanical ability. I would not attempt this without using high voltage gloves. Toyota includes new internal high voltage cables, disconnect switch, and a few miscellaneous hardware items in case the old ones had corroded. Drove about 200 miles and averaged 45.3 mph with AC running so I'm happy with that. Thank you everyone for all of the advice and ideas!

C Wagner and bisco like this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats, well done!(y)

C Wagner likes this.
  6. ski.dive

ski.dive Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    DESERT FLIER

How much did Toyota charge you for the Labor to install it?

C Wagner likes this.
  7. tangerino

tangerino Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Curious, what did you do with your old battery? I read elsewhere that Toyota gives a $200 credit on the replacement but not sure they do that anymore.

If/when the time comes for my 2005 HV battery to be replaced, I'm thinking I'd like to try DIY with a 2k1toaster battery, but I don't know what I'd do with the old OEM battery. Selling individual modules on ebay sounds like a PITA (and a pain to ship safely).

Maybe could be a project for a camping/solar battery or mini-powerwall? EDIT: never mind, NIMH is a lost cause for solar/offgrid power: https://diysolarforum.com/threads/prius-battery.5988/post-130474

C Wagner likes this.
  8. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    When I replaced my 2004 HV battery in 2014 with a ReInVolt rebuilt one My Toyota dealer installed it for me ($400). I rebalanced my 27 good modules and sold them to 6 other Prius owners to fix their batteries. Shipping the NiMh modules is not a problem as they are not dangerous like LiOn batteries.

JeffD

C Wagner and tangerino like this.
  9. benjita

benjita Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Amazing how prices keep coming down. I paid $2500 a few years back for the HV battery.

#49 benjita, May 15, 2021
    Last edited: May 15, 2021
    C Wagner likes this.
  10. C Wagner

C Wagner Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    For anyone reading this who's contemplating a dying or dead HV battery, it's great that Toyota's OEM new battery has become less frightening in cost, but local talent in most parts of the world has also advanced. At least near Boston, there are shops that will rebuild your HV battery if you bring it to them, shops that will swap out your bad battery and give you one they've reconditioned and there's Youtube and a bunch of people who have documented how to do the job yourself. Of course, new modules will last the longest, but the rebuilt batteries/rebuilt modules approach works pretty well and may buy you quite a few years. During Covid with boredom and lockdown, I rebuilt/rebalanced my 2004 HV battery NIMH modules about 5,000 miles / 8 months ago. I've checked the health of the battery with the paid version of the Dr Prius app, and it seems to be holding healthy. Check the Wiki section for a write-up I did on how to DIY.

ukiltmybrutha and tangerino like this.
  11. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If you're talking about the so called 'professional rebuilders', I beg to differ.

If, however, you are talking about someone like yourself, then yes, it is worth a go if you are prepared to do the learning and work. There is a big however, though. There are so many variables that govern success or failure, a short term fix or a longer term fix, so outcome will definitely vary.

But to you sir, I say, congratulations and long may your battery keep running.

C Wagner and tangerino like this.
  12. Another

Another Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I’m curious. What is the warranty they give on replacement battery? Is it another eight years?

tangerino likes this.
  13. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sounds like my 2006 battery but we traded for RAV4HV a year ago,

I am confused about the net HV batt cost from Toyota. $1950 with a $1350 refund for old batt?

14. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If you are taking the battery to self-install then there is a $1350 core fee added to the $1950. The $1350 is refunded when you return the old battery as a core. The core will be checked that it is packed correctly and if it is not and requires them to repack it, most charge a repacking fee of ~$80.

If you have a dealer do the install then there should be no core charge or even a mention of it as the dealer deals with the old core internally as part of the install deal.

wjtracy and tangerino like this.
  15. tangerino

tangerino Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Packed correctly? Curious what you mean by that. Do they require you package it a certain way for shipping or something? Or do they take the case apart and check the modules?

I'm also curious about the warranty. I was told I'd only get 12 months doing a self install (3yrs otherwise).

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

#55 tangerino, Jul 1, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2021
  16. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Correct. I believe there are instructions for repackaging somewhere inside the crate of the new battery.
    That is correct. Three years if installed by a Toyota Service Center otherwise the standard one-year over-the-counter parts warranty when installed by anyone else.

tangerino likes this.