1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

HELP.. I lost 10 mpg with new Intergrity's

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by LOVMAUI, Jan 22, 2009.

1. LOVMAUI

LOVMAUI New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Over the past 2 years I have averaged 50 mpg :D UNTIL.. Last week I put on a new set of Good Year Integrety's. I'm lucky to average 41 mpg. Their the exact same tires. Same size.. checked tired pressure. I can't figure out what the heck happened. I ran though a tank of gas and got 100 less miles. I'm so ticked :cool:

I didn't get an alignment. Could that be the problem? It doesn't seem to pull one way or the other, so I thought why get an alignment.

So what do ya think?

-Cindy

2. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Give them a few hundred miles to break in.

3. LOVMAUI

LOVMAUI New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Thanks for the response.

But why didn't my first set of Integrity's have this problem. My Prius had 4 miles on it when I got it. 10 miles per gallon is major for new tread break-in.

I'm just not feeling that free roll. I noticed that when I going down hill and I take my foot off the gas, I immediately feel a slight drag. I' never lost speed in my Prius going downhill before.

4. HTMLSpinnr

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Can't say for sure, except that my car lost MPG for a short while both times w/ new tire swap until the tires bedded in.

Is your steering wheel centered when driving straight? If not, you may actually have an alignment problem which the previous tire's wear pattern may have masked somewhat.

5. LOVMAUI

LOVMAUI New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius

Thanks for asking that. Yes.. I definately noticed my steering wheel was a bit off center after my new tires were put on. Why would it be centered with my old tires and boom off center right after my new tires were put on? I always thought the car would pull to the side if it was out of alignment. Silly me :rolleyes: I guess I better schedule an alignment.

Could mis-alignment cause 10 mpg loss?

Is there anything special about an alignment on a Prius? I mean should I take it to the Toyota Dealership or can I go to any reputable shop?

6. HTMLSpinnr

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    If you don't have VSC, any shop can do it.

VSC equipped cars require a shop w/ a scan tool that can reset the centerline for VSC once the steering wheel has a new "straight ahead" angle. Your Toyota dealer would obviously be capable of this, but IIRC, most dealer alignments are in the $80+ range.

7. Celtic Blue

Celtic Blue New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I believe others have posted that the OEM Integrities are slightly different than the replacement Integrities. The OEM's are made overseas and are low rolling resistance, I believe the replacements are slightly less so. Someone will probably chime in to provide the relevant facts.

I always have alignment done when new tires are installed. I've got enough invested in a set of new tires that it is not worth risking wrecking a pair of tires in short order because they are not properly aligned.

You can expect a break in period as well and it could take several thousand miles to get back to normal.

I assume you are aware of the correlation of cold weather and poor mileage. Has your weather over the past week been cooler than normal?

8. HTMLSpinnr

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Even non-OEM Integrities have kept acceptable FE for me. When I switched to a different type alltogether, I took the MPG hit. My next replacement will go back to Integrities despite the iffy wet traction as they wear down.

9. carz89

carz89 I study nuclear science...

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I would tend to discount only 1 week of data / 1 tank of data, especially given the inconsistent pump shutoff point due to the Prius bladder. Give it more time to gather 3 or 4 tanks of data, then use the cumulative data over several fill-ups. Plus, 1 week of mpg data could be severely thrown off by your weather conditions and use of cabin heating in the winter. Didn't you notice the seasonal change in MPG over the past couple years with your Prius? I notice it, even here in mild San Diego. My MPG (by MFD or ScanGauge) will vary by 5 MPG over the course of a year due to outside temperature effects. Other climates should see a dramatically larger swing.

10. LOVMAUI

LOVMAUI New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Well that stinks :( I thought I was buying the same exact tire. I was told the Integreity was the best low rolling resistance tire I could buy for the Prius.

I live in the Sierra Nevada Mountains, so I am aware of the effects of the cold weather. But this 10 mpg loss is taking into consideration the cold temps.

Thanks for the info.

I'm going to get an alignment tomorrow. I'll let you know if that helps.

11. LOVMAUI

LOVMAUI New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius

What is VSC? Is it traction control?

12. LOVMAUI

LOVMAUI New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Thanks for your comment.

I get where you're coming from, but I know this car so well. Nothings going to change in the next 3 tanks. Somthings up with the tires and/or alignment. I can feel it in the ride and the drag. I'm really hoping the alignment does the trick.

13. HTMLSpinnr

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    VSC is stablity control. Depending on your package, you may or may not have it.

14. Genoz World

Genoz World ZEN-style living

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    i would also suggest you to check the tires for free rotation. sometimes, your brakes can cause drag, maybe a wearing wheel bearing, something that is creating friction in the wheel assembly.

check it out, it's just a matter of spinning the tires, then you got peace of mind.

good luck, post what you found out here.

15. LOVMAUI

LOVMAUI New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius

Thanks a good idea. When I take it in for alignment I will ask them to do a check and make sure the wheel doesn't have anything causing friction.

~ Cindy

16. John of GA

John of GA New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I just replaced two OEM front tires with Yokohama AS430s and have taken a 6-7 MPG hit. I did have an alignment done at the Toyota dealer that sold the tires. Is it possible that the tire selection could make that much difference? I have put 1500 miles on the new tires an there is no improvement. Thanks for any help.

17. wicastawakan

wicastawakan New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Tires can indeed make a significant change is mileage. I recently changed tires & lost MPG. It has improved since original installation & I did have it aligned when the tires were installed. I made several changes & cannot determine the exact cause of the loss of mileage but suspect the tires were the primary cause as explaned next.

I added the splash guards & they could very well make a negligible change.

I changed from 185/65/15 tires to 195/60/15 as I felt the car was slightly "under tired". I typically run Michelin tires but have a Kumho dealer a few miles from me & decided to give the Kumho Solus KR 21's a try.

Results? I immediately dropped a minimum of 5 mpg. The first tank ran 39.8 mpg but also at 70mph, hills & wind. After a few hundred miles I was back into the low 40's. I now have approximately 1,300 miles on the tires & just finished 445 miles, combo highway/town & over 90% highway and I got 50.6 MPG. I definitely think you need to have your car aligned & put some miles on the tires. The initial 10 mpg loss seems recouped at this time & hopefully I will gain a couple more miles per gallon.

I still don't know what to think of the tires but they are certainly smoother & quieter than the originals. The most noticeable difference is handling. Impressive! The vehicle is significantly more responsive & more stable no matter the wind speed or direction. It is certainly worth a 1-2 mpg difference. If I ever have to make any safety maneuvers, the slight loss of fuel mileage (if it actually is) will certainly be worth it.

Give it some time & I think you'll see an improvement.

18. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Do bring your alignment numbers here for review and comment.

Bob Wilson

19. LOVMAUI

LOVMAUI New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I'm going in on Tuesday. I will report back :p

20. Celtic Blue

Celtic Blue New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Going from memory, they still are the lowest rolling resistance tire for the Prius, but not as low as the OEM. Wish I could remember what thread this was discussed in. (If I'm spouting BS about the Integrity, somebody please correct me.)

Did you figure mileage from the fill or from the MFD? The MFD is far more accurate for individual tanks, but the calculated mileage will be accurate over the long haul. The fill variability with the bladder tank is extreme, especially in winter as I am learning.