1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help, I missed this when I took delivery

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by krazypriuslady, Apr 8, 2012.

1. stevemcelroy

stevemcelroy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It stinks, but just chalk this up to the first ding on a new car - it happens to everyone - it might be the first but will not be the last. I do not know if I would worry about it - just keep an eye on it and as long as it does not grow I would just leave it alone.

2. subjective

subjective Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You won't need a jack or any tools applying the LOCKTITE REPAIR PUTTY to the back side of the spoiler crack. Put on rubber painting gloves. You simply nead the soft epoxy putty in your fingers to a soft, like bubble gum in order to apply. Clean the back side of the spoiler and then reach underneath and apply on the back side of the crack about 1/4 to 3/8 inch thick and aprox 1/2 inch wide the full length of the crack. The putty starts to set up in about 5 minutes and is full hard in about 1/2 hr. Watch that the bond holds the crack together evenly and close during the hardening process. Its a lot like applying a wad of bubble gum while its semi soft. I repaired my scooter fender crack 4 yrs ago and its as strong as the day I repaired it. If you could chew a big wad of bubble gum and apply it you can reach under and do the same with this repair putty. Good Luck

3. JACoH

JACoH Enjoying the mileage

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Reasonably sure no one is reading this any further, BUT, FIRST THING to do is to drill a small hole at end of the crack, to keep it from getting any larger! Then, do the epoxy fill, sand and touch up!

2 people like this.
  4. SlowTurd

SlowTurd I LIKE PRIUS'S

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

or the dealership put it on a lift and when they brought it down they hit something.

1 person likes this.
  5. krazypriuslady

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three

thanks

but wouldn't the epoxy putty also stop the crack from spreading? Plus I'm not really sure where you mean to drill the hole? At the top of the crack, right into the edge of the crack?or just a little bit from it??

6. DumbMike

DumbMike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You drill the hole at the top of the crack, right where the crack ends. But make it a small hole. It's to relieve the stress where the crack ends, plus it gives you a small area for the epoxy to fill.

The thing I don't think much is that some people have told you to squeeze the crack together (that can be good advice in some situations, but I think the crack is too small to do this). I'm not in favor of that as the crack will want to re-open up and the cracked area might now be considered the weak point. It looks like the crack is pretty small, so I'd just have the epoxy fill the crack as it is (looks like it's about 1/16th of an inch or even smaller). Once done, sand it and apply some touch up paint.

Note that the liquid expoxy might not work very well as it can get everywhere. The poster who recommended that bubble gum-like epoxy might have the best idea. If you get real excited about doing this, you can practice on using fiberglass, kitty hair, etc. And when you become experienced using that stuff, I'll come over with my car and let you fix it.

Mike

7. krazypriuslady

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Okay, sounds like drilling the hole might be the showstopper. Anyway, as a follow up, when I went in for my free 1000 mile inspection, I showed the sales guys. They said it was my fault again but referred me to a guy they thought would do it for a tip. He wanted close to $400. So right now,I haven't done anything yet. one day I'll get the epoxy and paint. It looks like ace Hardware sells epoxy