1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

HELP! ICE Stays On!

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Greypee, Dec 18, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Greypee

Greypee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Long time lurker, first time poster here...

Over the last few weeks I've noticed that the ICE does not turn off...EVER! I left the car on in the garage for 10 min and the ICE ran the entire time. I've scoured the threads for answers. I've replaced the 12V battery as well as cleaned the HV battery fan and nothing has worked. I'm not seeing any (major) drop in MPG's and the charge level on the info screen seems to be operating normally, if not consistently high.

Any suggestions on what to look at next? I can't seem to find anymore answers...
    FYI, vehicle has 114k miles and regular oil changes. Also, heater/AC and fans are off. The ICE WILL turn off if I turn on the EV button.

Thanks!

#1 Greypee, Dec 18, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2018
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!

what is your battery state of charge icon showing while you drive?

is the heat turned all the way up?

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    If you're not seeing a drop in mpg, tank-to-tank, maybe it is shutting down in more normal usage. What mpg are you getting btw.

4. Greypee

Greypee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The battery never drops below 75% or so while driving. My commute (in Atlanta) consists of about 10-15 of hwy driving and then 20-30 min of mild stop and go traffic that doesn't go above 45mph. I have tested with and without heat, and still get the same results. The only way I can get the ICE to turn off is if I press the "EV" button.

My mpg is around 48-49MPG. (The hwy driving and larger wheels kills it)

Just checked the oil level, it seems that it was overfilled when changed last. Which was approx. 3-4 weeks ago. Could this be the culprit?

#4 Greypee, Dec 19, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2018
  5. FuelMiser

FuelMiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Can you drive the car in EV? What is the State of Charge of the Traction Battery? Does the Hybrid System Display show battery charging arrows from the ICE into the Battery when the ICE is running? Generally, the ICE will only be running when in Park to warm up or keep the cabin warm. So absent any Traction Battery issues, it might be an HVAC thing, incorrectly signalling that it needs the ICE to produce heat, or whatever logic runs the ICE to complete the warm-up cycle.

6. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Not to be snarky, but I think we need better confirmation of exactly what is happening.
    Obviously if the ICE is NEVER turning off, there is something wrong. BUT....

If it's NEVER turning off, you should be experiencing a significant drop in MPG.
    And also, you'd think if there was a problem with the Hybrid System you'd be setting off codes.

If you haven't already done it, what I would recommend is a long enough highway drive to warm up the engine, and conceivably have the Hybrid Battery charged. Then some suburban driving that SHOULD result in the battery taking over, at least as low speed.

I'd also be interested in what type of driving you do. It's "Synergy" drive, which means in a lot of situations your Prius is using BOTH the battery, electric motors and the ICE.
    Does your information screen show the hybrid battery working? On the screen that shows what system's are currently working. The one with the arrows showing energy from Engine, Battery, Regen-Brakes...etc, etc,. I'd be curious as to what it is showing.

It's strange that you would possibly have a failure that significant with the Hybrid System but NOT get a code. How long have you owned the vehicle?

At least keep us posted. Interesting mystery.

7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Maybe. How high above the top mark on the dipstick? One caveat:

Reading the dipstick can be VERY hard. I'd suggest to pull and wipe it, then wait a full five minutes before reinserting for the check. View in good light, and check both sides: sometimes one side is more clean/definite than the other.

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i doubt it.

how long have you owned the car, and when did it start?

how can you tell the engine is running?

9. Joele3

Joele3 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I had this same issue. Car sitting for almost two weeks. Went to move out of driveway heater on(low). Seeing on dash charging battery. Noticed its no longer charging battery, engine still on. I stood over it let it idle 60 seconds still on. Went inside car turned off all accessories. Went back under hood still running another two minutes, never turned off. Just a few days ago same thing but this time ice turned off. Battery is roughly two years old. First time I was trying to show my uncle and father let the car finish its warm up cycle then shut off. Darn thing never shut off. Should have slapped myself silly.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i had this once last year. left it running in the garage with heat off. it never did stop. maybe a software bug, but i don't think it is the o/p's issue

11. Greypee

Greypee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I've owned the car for several years. It's never done this until recently. Yesterday, the car operated normally (ICE turning off at stops/slow movement) for about 30 minutes, then the problem came back. It did not matter if I was driving normally, 70+mph on the hwy or sitting in the office parking lot, the ICE NEVER shut off.

The info screen shows the hybrid system as functioning and charging normally. There are no trouble codes (even used a Verus Scan tool).

I'm not an idiot and have spent most of my adult life on the service side of the auto industry. BUT this is something that I just can't wrap my head around. I have done all of the recommended remedies that others have done when they complain of the ICE not shutting off and nothing has worked.

12. FuelMiser

FuelMiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    It will run the ICE as long as it needs to satisfy the HVAC request for heat in the cabin, even on low. You have to shut the HVAC completely OFF to cancel the ICE.

kenoarto likes this.
  13. jack black

jack black Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    if one goes from 65F to Low, that should kill the ICE while sitting. it works for me in winter on red lights.

FuelMiser likes this.
  14. jack black

jack black Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    just drain the excess oil and see what happens, if nothing, disconect the 12V and reset the ECU.

15. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Dealer oil change. The worst.

Its cold up there. Any request for cabin heat comes from the engine. Block off the rad with some cardboard as an experiment. Lots of people in very cold states block off there prius rads for the winter.

16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    definitely something wrong. i think it's time for a tech stream scan.

start with the 12v health, maybe the engine is trying to keep it charged through the hybrid circuit.
    i know you replaced it, but sometimes they are defective, or need a charge