1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help ICE wont start, Comm buss Down after Cat stolen/replaced

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Douglas88, Jul 28, 2021.

1. Douglas88

Douglas88 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thank you...good info to know. SO hopefully I may have one start attempt left...but I see it is edgy. Attempting to get ECM communication up next, then we shall see.

2. Douglas88

Douglas88 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I just followed your instructions and using tech stream it states battery is 48% SOC. I had used Dr Prius before which said 23%. I am attaching the screen shot of the tech stream screen, for more insight ...

Attached Files:

3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Nice to see Techstream connecting. Any DTCs shown via the Health Check?

4. Douglas88

Douglas88 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    For some reason my Techstream will not show the health check button. However the computers show up to be checked individually. The ECU does not show as available...since it is down, or com bus to it is down. I will attach photo. THE HV battery does show some codes, P0A0D,P0AA!,POAA4,P3000,U0100 will attach photo.

Attached Files:

5. Douglas88

Douglas88 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I want to summarize where this repair journey is at, and what support would be helpful next. In my efforts to fix my Prius I have come to a point where the next step seems to be to troubleshoot the cause of a lack of voltage for the ECU where I have found it should be present but is not present. I do not know where to look or how to proceed to trouble shoot this issue, and hope someone can help? Based off this diagram https://attachments.priuschat.com/attachment-files/2021/08/210128_P1_ecm_conn.jpg and wonderful help from mr_guy_mann and many others this forum I found all readings were as specified except for ECU connector E7 pin 4, which I am given to understand should be about 12 volts at all times. IT IS zero volts at all times, key in ready or key off. SO this is a problem, no power getting to ECU connector 7 pin 4. Could anyone tell me were to pursue looking for the break in the line....how to fix this? I am hopeful...now as we have a definite reason I think for com bus to ECU to be down, and ECU offline. Once I get ECU back online I will explore further if the battery will still start the car, or not, and what other codes need attention. Last reading with Techstream suggests battery ecu thinks battery is at 48%. IF this is true it is my hope battery will be ok for now.

6. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    You've written "the ECU" a lot here, but ECU (electronic control unit) is a generic term and the car has about a dozen of those. From your attached photos, I think you mean "the ECM" (engine control module), which is the one ECU whose job is to control the engine (and pretty much the one ECU that has its own three-letter name).

I also see a P0A0D in your screenshot, about the safety lockout circuit. As long as you have that code, you can be sure the HV ECU will never bring the high voltage online. The usual suspect is that the handle on the battery service plug has not been pushed all the way to its final home position where it completes the lockout circuit.

As the reported communication issue is with the ECM (and it's pretty well confirmed by Techstream not being able to reach the ECM either), you definitely have to figure that piece out. Have you clicked the snowflake ("freeze frame") icon in Techstream next to the U0100 code? You should be able to find an INF code there, maybe 211, 212, or 530, that will reveal more about the U0100 condition.

Have you obtained access to the Repair Manual and the Electrical Wiring Diagram? That's where you'll find information helpful for pinning down the cause of the U0100. You'll find useful testing info both in the workup section for U0100 and in the whole dedicated section for "CAN communication system", and the wiring diagram is the last word on actual connector pin positions and wire colors.

7. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    So now, the two battery power feeds to the ECM are pin 4 (B+, fed by the EFI fuse) and pin 5 (+BM, fed by the ETCS fuse). Both are in the underhood fuseblock.
    Hope you figure this out- however it was mentioned that you should check all fuses to see if one blew due to loose O2 sensor wires possibly shorting.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

8. Douglas88

Douglas88 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You ALL have been SO helpful!! Thank you!

Well what can I say...listen carefully to your mentors, and then listen again! I had checked all fuses right off, before I had my meter, but never went back and used it on them to double check until today. I have been told at least 3 times to check them ALL. WELL yes as I was told I would if I missed that, I can kick myself now. SURE enough I had visually missed the blown EFI fuse. The bright side is I learned a lot! Replaced that fuse after meter checking ALL the fuses...this was my nearly last fuse to recheck. POWER restored to ECM!! NO error codes are stored in it. However car still acts the same. SO now turning attention to the codes stored in the Hybrid control module. The only one with codes stored. There were five, before the ECM got power now there were four, NO longer a failure communication with ECM code. SO left were P0A0D,P0AA!,POAA4,P3000. I cleared them after storing all codes. THEN and now there were/are two left. P0AA1, P0AA4 I took advice of Chapman F above, and did the snowflake analysis and took photos. These are attached. The power plug for the drive battery is in and pushed down. The fuse it holds is good. Previously, and again just now to be sure, I metered the actual relays, (the ones just at the end of the battery that disconnect it from the power line to the inverter when it is not in use) with the plug out of course, and they are both open...not conducting, in that condition. with main battery plug in, there is voltage before the relays, and none after them.

I am greatly encouraged at this point. I feel like perhaps things will get up and running soon. So at this point of course, looking for advice on fixing these last two codes??

Attached Files:

#48 Douglas88, Aug 11, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2021
  9. Douglas88

Douglas88 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thank you ... YES now this is the only remaining problem. I got the ECM back on line...and as you said, I should have said ECM not ECU...above posts. I just detailed all this in my above reply to mr_guy-mann. I posted the detail of the Techstream (snowflake) reports on P0A0D. Looking for how to proceed to troubleshoot from here. Please see my details on what I have done so far above. Thank you again!

10. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Could you post photos of the relays and how they are wired?

Some reason to think them stuck closed there must be.

11. Douglas88

Douglas88 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sure attaching photos. If these are the ones in question, (see photo) I metered them (took power plug out and checked, conductivity across them, and infinite resistance, saying they are open, then checked voltage on battery side, with plug installed and voltage..is there...and on output side, not there any voltage, and they are not conducting across from the battery side to the output side. They seem open to me...so I am puzzled.

Attached Files:

12. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Nothing jumps out at me in the photos. Darn.

I am not sure exactly how the HV ECU does the stuck-contacts check. The Repair Manual does explain that when shutting down, it opens SMR2 first, then SMR3, and "checks that the relays have turned OFF properly."

There don't seem to be any local voltage-sensing connections on the relay outputs there, and there wouldn't have to be, because the other end of the frame wire is in the inverter up front and there are certainly voltage sensors there.

But also there are capacitors there, with an expected bleed-to-safe-voltage time around 5 minutes. I'm pretty sure the ECU makes its "did that relay turn off or not?" judgment faster than that. I don't know if it is somehow just looking for the right slope of the decreasing voltage across the capacitor, or if it is doing something clever with recognizing the "short wave" (hee hee) that the battery ECU superimposes on the battery output. If it were only looking at voltage slope, I'm not sure how it would detect the opening of SMR3 anyway.

This might be my first time sitting down to wonder, exactly how do they do that?

I wonder if @Elektroingenieur knows.

At the corner of your battery where the car's frame wire enters, those two cables pass under that shiny foil-y looking clamp with two nuts. Is that tightened down securely over the cable shields of those two cables? Hard to see in the photo.

I'm pretty doubtful that could be a cause here, but I'm kind of grasping at straws.

13. Douglas88

Douglas88 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    OK. Well good eye,those nuts were lose, because I had to remove them to get the cover off, and had not tightened them down. I did so, but no change. It remains a mystery. Since this code came into being, when I drove it and ECM was DOWN due to a power feed issue to the ECM, and ICE could therefore not turn on, I wonder if it is a reset isuse of some kind. The car shut off the drive battery to protect the battery, during that drive. IT has not come back online since, but Techstream shows it has 48%, and all blocks seem balanced enough. Photo attatched

Attached Files:

14. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I was thinking something lingering, but then I thought you mentioned clearing and having the P0AA1 and P0AA4 come right back.

15. Douglas88

Douglas88 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thank you for your ideas. Perhaps we will think of something, or someone else will have another idea(s)

16. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Two things I noticed is 1) the repair manual does not seem to document the P0AA1 INF code 224 or 226, which is what your freeze frame data shows you have. 2) The repair manual as the very first thing for both P0AA1 and P0AA4 says to 'Refer to DTC P0AE7 (INF 224).'

The inspection procedure P0AA4 is short and sweet. If the information (INF) code is present, replace the No. 3 system main relay. The replacement procedure for the No. 3 system main relay is on page HB–124. Inspection of the No. 1 system relay is contained in the inspection procedure that starts on page HB–125.

I don't know if that helps any.

#56 dolj, Aug 12, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2021
  17. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Replacing the relays would be easy enough, money aside, but still, if a meter has flat-out shown they ain't stuck closed, it's hard to see what the car's going on about. It would be frustrating to go through the replacement and still be back at square one.

I had not caught that! Interesting.

Flipping through a Gen 1 repair manual, just for the fun of it ....

Back in Gen 1, all main-relay issues were grouped under a single DTC, P3115. Toyota had to put it in the manufacturer-assigned P3 space, because SAE had not yet assigned any standard DTCs for hybrid system batteries and relays. So Toyota just assigned one code P3115 for anything to do with the main relays, and it was up to the INF codes to tell the whole story.

P3115 had INF codes 224–229 for problems on the control side of the relays (the coil drives), and 231–233 for problems with the contacts (stuck closed). 224 would mean SMR1's coil drive was open or shorted to +B, 225 that it was shorted to ground. 226–229 were the same for SMR2 and SMR3, respectively.

231 would mean the + output was stuck closed (which might have SMR2 or SMR1 as the cuplrit), 232 would mean the − output stuck closed (SMR3), and 233 would mean both the + and − outputs are stuck (and still I struggle to get just how the ECU tells all these cases apart).

Then Gen 2 came along, and by that time SAE had assigned standard codes in P0 space for hybrid system relays, and there wasn't just one anymore. P0AA1 was assigned for a + relay sticking closed, P0AA4 for a − relay sticking closed. For the control sides, SAE assigned P0ADB/C for a + relay coil drive shorted low or high/open, respectively; P0ADF/E0 the same for a − coil drive, and P0AE6/7 the same for a 'precharge' (Toyota's SMR1) coil drive.

It looks like in the Gen 2 firmware, Toyota keeps the same INF codes used in Gen 1, and just deals them out into the new SAE-assigned DTCs:

INF SAE DTC fortune
    1 224 P0AE7 SMR1 coil drive open or +B short
    2 225 P0AE6 SMR1 coil drive ground short
    3 226 P0ADC SMR2 coil drive open or +B short
    4 227 P0ADB SMR2 coil drive ground short
    5 228 P0AE0 SMR3 coil drive open or +B short
    6 229 P0ADF SMR3 coil drive ground short
    7 231 P0AA1 + contact stuck closed
    8 232 P0AA4 − contact stuck closed
    9 233 P0AA1 + (and −) contact stuck closed

Apparently SAE didn't assign a code to mean + and − contacts stuck closed, so Toyota deals out both 231 and 233 to P0AA1.

Maybe they just didn't get the dealing-out quite right? If the INF codes showing are 224 and 226, how do the control wiring connections plugged in to SMR1 and SMR2 look?

18. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That makes a lot of sense. I was wondering if it was something like that.

So would you say the OP needs to do the diagnostic for P0AE7-224 as mention right at the start of both P0AA1 and P0AA4?

19. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I'm not sure that their "refer to P0AE7" in those places meant anything much more than "that's where we put the circuit diagram and the (woefully vague) description of how the stuff works".

But I am kind of thinking that if 224, 226, and 228 are the INF codes present, it might be a mistake in the firmware that P0AA1 and P0AA4 were set for those, and that instead the plan was supposed to be that those INF codes would be mapped onto P0AE7, P0ADC, and P0AE0.

Given that those represent open-circuit (or +B short, but let's start simple) for all three relay coils, I would first be casting a suspicious eye on that four-pole white connection to the mini-harness for all three relays. It appears connected in the photo, but I don't know how much I'd bet on it.

[​IMG]

20. Douglas88

Douglas88 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    This is SO great! You all are just amazing and awesome. I am just seeing this near midnight, and attempting to digest it, but I will be seeing what I can test out based on all this tomorrow and report back. Feel much gratitude, and learning SO much!