1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help ID another part please?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Sompom, May 15, 2013.

1. Sompom

Sompom Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Hello everyone,
    My dad and I are working on a Prius we got after a rear ender. There's a little black box dangling near the wheel on the left side. The box has two tubes, one goes to the gas tank, and the other goes to the fuel manifold.
    Right now the box is disconnected from the fuel manifold. It broke off when we had the rear end pulled into (almost) shape. We have a replacement, which we're going to put in today or tomorrow, but we're just curious what this little box is. Since it broke off, our fuel mileage went from ~45 to ~35. My theory is it has something to do with pressurizing the tank, but that's only a guess.

On a related note, the box's hoses are connected with round, fragile, plastic clippy things. Does anyone know how to get these on and off without badly mangling them?

Thanks!
    -Sompom

Here's the box in question.
    2013-05-15 14.59.48.jpg

And here's where it lives. The back of our car has since been pulled and the hatch replaced, but you get the idea.
    HereItIs.jpg

2. AzWxGuy

AzWxGuy Weather Guy

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    I was just looking in the file library and found a document Gen II Fuel and Evap System PDF | PriusChat that shows schematically a part that looks like the one in the picture. It might be part or all of the charcoal canister filter assembly which appears to be located in the left-rear wheel well below the fuel filler. The document doesn't say anything about connecting/disconnecting the hoses. Might be a special tool required for that, similar to releasing a quick-disconnect fuel coupling.