1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help identify model

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by JMJimmy, Aug 18, 2016.

1. JMJimmy

JMJimmy New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Technology
    Hey all,

I just bought a used 2008 Prius a couple weeks ago and I'm trying to figure out what the heck it is; Base or Touring.

It has the 16", larger spoiler but then it has the standard struts (white+pink) and I can't tell if it has HIDs or not. Is there anything in the car that would identify it as being one or the other, or a place where I could enter the VIN and find out that kind of info?

The reason I'd like to know is that if it is in fact the base model I may want to go back to the 15" as I'm getting lousy gas mileage (7 lph or 33 mpg)

Thanks for any help you can provide!

#1 JMJimmy, Aug 18, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2016
  2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If you're getting 33mpg, it's usually more than just tires affecting the mpg. But if you want to go to 15" wheels, you can do it at anytime, regardless of it's a touring model or not.

3. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Does it have fog-lights? There's a place somewhere in the depths of Toyota's web-site which will allow you to put in the VIN # to see if any recalls have been issued. My 2009 Gen II is the touring model (16" OEM rims (7-spoke) - shod with Antares Ingens A1 (for summer) and 15"steelies shod with Bridgestone Blizzak WS-80s for the winter) - so far I've found the difference in MPG is more to do with season (different mix) and driving style than which wheels/tyres are on. Both the Blizzaks and the Ingens are way quieter than the Michelin Energy Savers which were on the car when I bought it (used) in 2014. - hope this helps - Wil

4. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Even very crappy 16” tires and very low rolling resistance 15” tires won’t give you more than 1l/100km consumption difference.
    So there really has to be something wrong. If you’re only basing this from one fuel tank maybe there was on fill-up error? What kind of fuel economy did you get with your old car? What car? What kind of driving? And last maybe there’s something wrong with your Prius? Any fault lights on? Brakes dragging? Battery swinging between 2 and 7 bars? Something else?

5. JMJimmy

JMJimmy New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Technology
    I bought some Michelin Premier A/S 16" tires and that helped by about 1Lph. Part of the problem was the tires that were on there were 205s instead of 195s. Unfortunately I am back to 7Lph in only 6 months. Honestly I'm in Prius hell with this vehicle. Exhaust in the cabin, water in the trunk, windows that freeze/can't be opened, acceleration when breaking over a change in road surface, pulling hard to the right when breaking while the slip indicator is on (and only when the slip indicator is on), engine lurches constantly, poor acceleration to highway speeds (painfully poor - lucky to hit 90km/h by the end of an on-ramp), master warning lights for no reason... just a bloody nightmare.

Anyway, on the mileage issue:

- If you’re only basing this from one fuel tank maybe there was on fill-up error?
    6 months of fillups now based on amount on the pump + mileage on the odometer. Best mileage I got was 5.8lph but mostly 6-7lph

- What kind of fuel economy did you get with your old car? What car?
    ~6Lph - Toyota Echo

- What kind of driving?
    Mostly highway, some city

- And last maybe there’s something wrong with your Prius?
    Probably :( It's just I have no idea what it could be

- Any fault lights on?
    Nope (and previously mentioned master warning is unrelated, it's a software bug)

- Brakes dragging?
    Not that I know of, no sounds, though there is a small vibration at high speeds that I haven't been able to identify

- Battery swinging between 2 and 7 bars?
    Nope, seems to store/discharge reasonably. The one thing I have noticed is that the gas engine kicks in almost immediately no matter how slowly I accelerate. I tried accelerating slower than an 18 wheeler - still kicked in at 5km/h

Danny3xd likes this.
  6. Moving Right Along

Moving Right Along Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You probably have a touring model. 16" wheels will use more fuel than 15" wheels (although they have better handling and stopping). Have you checked if you have uneven tire wear? If your car pulls to one side, your alignment could be off and that could negatively affect fuel economy if it was bad enough. Also, have you had all the recall repairs for your vehicle done? There were 3 that were performed on my 2009 model. If you missed any, you could have a faulty part that's acting up.

7. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think you are finding out why the person who sold it to you, did so.

7 l/100km is way off, in a well running Prius you should be in the 4.8 - 5.2 l/100 ball park, and better if you practice economical driving techniques.

Just going by this comment:
    my money is that your battery is not what it once was. I'd start saving CAD4,000 to replace it, although you may not need to do this for some time yet.

The five things that got the biggest improvement for me was:
    • having LRR tires,
    • having the correct pressure (slightly higher than the placard—255 kPa Front/241 kPa Rear (37/35 PSI),
    • using the correct fuel (as recommended in the owner's manual),
    • using the correct oil (for my geography) full synthetic 5W-30 (in your geography probably full synthetic 0W-20) and finally
    • a large adjustment to the nut behind the wheel. If I had to put money on it, this last one probably had the most effect.
    With your vehicle, it sounds like there are some other issues in play.

8. JMJimmy

JMJimmy New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Technology
    I figured out it's actually the base model with the cosmetic improvements added. The tires are brand new and were aligned - stopping normally there's zero pull and the car tracks straight - it's solely when the slip notification comes on (which comes on way way too easily). As to the recall items, Toyota says they were completed when I plug in my VIN. I think for the '08 it was only steering column plastic

9. JMJimmy

JMJimmy New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Technology
    LRR = check!
    correct tire pressure = check!
    correct fuel = check!
    correct oil = check!
    What nut adjustment are you referring to?

10. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It sits just in front of the steering wheel and interfaces with all the main controls. ;)(n)(y):sneaky:

Moving Right Along likes this.
  11. JMJimmy

JMJimmy New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Technology
    LOL - completely missed that joke. Sadly I don't think that's it. I'll run the same route back and forth to my sister's, mostly highway driving on cruise control with identical speeds. During those times it's a noticeable degradation over time, even after oil change/tire fill up/etc. And by noticeable I mean averaging sub 4lph for those legs of the trip to eventually averaging 6+lph. Same lane, same speed, same weather, same path, no slowing/speeding up for traffic/etc. Just set and forget. I would think it's the tires but they only have ~4,000km on them

12. Moving Right Along

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Have you checked for fuel system problems? If you get worse fuel economy near the end of longer trips, maybe there's sediment in the gas tank that is getting stirred up and getting clogged somewhere.

13. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sadly, I agree, like I said in my first post, 7 l/100km is way off.

On the tires, you said "LRR = check!", then went on to say "I would think it's the tires but they only have ~4,000km on them", which is contradictory. However, even the worst performing tires will not jump up that high (5 to 7 l/100).

I think you need to be looking at the efficiency of the either the HV Battery, or the ICE (internal combustion engine). Have you checked the compression on each cylinder, for example?

14. JMJimmy

JMJimmy New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Technology
    I haven't checked the compression - I'm not even sure how, is that something you can get in diagnostic mode? I have yet to try to put my car in that mode - though I probably should as the Toyota dealer didn't reset any of the digital components (still has the previous owner's phone numbers in the memory)

jjmerp likes this.
  15. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You need a compression tester which plugs in in place of a spark plug. It has a recording device to make a graph of the pressure achieved in the compression stroke. I believe you use Techstream to turn the ICE over.
    These are user functions. You need to get the owner's manual out and acquaint yourself with the interface. (The owner's manual is available for download, if you don't have one).

16. JACK KEITH

JACK KEITH Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I have a question? What will the VIN tell me about the 2012 Prius I am about to buy? Thanks

17. Moving Right Along

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    In itself, a VIN tells the year, make & model of a vehicle and where it was manufactured. If you sign up for Toyota's owners site, the VIN will also allow you to see what maintenance & repairs for the vehicle were completed at Toyota dealers.