1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help Identify This Icon

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Squiggy Pop, Aug 11, 2017.

1. Squiggy Pop

Squiggy Pop Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm specifically referring to the outline of a car with an exclamation mark superimposed on it. Is there a name for this icon? What does it mean?

[​IMG]

2. Travis Decker

Travis Decker Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It means that you need to look at all those orange lights below maintenance required. You need to scan the car and see what the fault codes are

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you can find that icon in your owners manual. it means: HELP ME!:)

'LectroFuel likes this.
  4. Squiggy Pop

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I've looked up the other codes, and I'm in the process of troubleshooting. This is the missing link for me.

5. Travis Decker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    II
    What codes does it have?

6. Squiggy Pop

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Intermittently it has
    -the red triangle of death w/ exclamation mark
    -((!)) brake system
    -ABS
    -VSC
    -BRAKE
    -Check Engine
    -Maintenance Reqd

But I've ID all these. I know what they could mean problem-wise. It's just finding the meaning behind this one is really difficult. It could confirm my theory or not. It could point to something unrelated. I just need to know what it's supposed to indicate.

7. Travis Decker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You need to scan the car with a techstream and tell me what codes are has

8. Squiggy Pop

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I don't have the numbers. I've had it scanned at Autozone which pulled up a very unspecific "battery issue" message. When the mechanic scanned for codes it came up with nothing.

9. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Welcome. Sorry you're having problems. You need a Prius capable scanner. Autozone scanners are pretty limited. Take it to a Toyota dealer or a reputable shop that works on hybrids. What you're seeing are not codes. They are just indicator lights telling you "It be done broke." From the age of the car and the lights you see, I would expect then to get codes for hybrid battery failure, but you need to have a proper ready to know for sure.

knettle3 and Squiggy Pop like this.
  10. Squiggy Pop

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My question wasn't about codes. I didn't ask "what's wrong with my car." I just asked about the specific meaning of this particular icon. Because I'm at work it and don't have the manual at hand it took some time, but I did manage to figure out what this particular icon means, no thanks to any of the responses I've received here.

11. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

The meaning of that particular icon is "the hybrid control system has detected one or more of its roughly two hundred detectable problems with the car, and has stored diagnostic codes to tell you the details."

-Chap

cyberpriusII and fotomoto like this.
  12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it means: take me to your dealer...

13. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Needs a new hybrid battery.

14. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Now I think I get it. Yes, that's been answered. It means your car has a problem and you need to get it checked.

knettle3 and cyberpriusII like this.
  15. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Anna, we're a pretty friendly bunch here (with a couple possible exceptions), and we try hard to help new people. We're incredibly patient with obvious questions that are easily answered with a quick look in the manual. I've been the recipient of that kind of grace myself. But no one appreciates their efforts to help being responded to with that kind of verbiage.

16. Lucifer

Lucifer Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Read the op question, looked a the op's car, it's an 04, yep, either the 12v is playing dead or the traction is ded, luckily replacing the traction isn't vastly expensive and the vehicle will be good to go for five years, if the op didn't already rush out of the room

cyberpriusII likes this.
  17. 05PreeUs

05PreeUs Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Per the OM, the official term is "Hybrid System Warning Light" and when illuminated indicates a problem with the Hybrid System exists. The operator response, again per the OM, is "Take vehicle to Toyota dealer immediately".

Most independent shops will not have the necessary tooling or training to address hybrid issues, regardless of their other competencies.

Squiggy Pop likes this.
  18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    and then there's the two threads in the same forum, causing more confusion.

jerrymildred and cyberpriusII like this.
  19. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yeah the thread hijacking is really bad on this site. Every new poster tags a really old post then someone else
    Chimes in with a question and the original poster gets lost in it and then it's just a distracting free for all.

If your a new poster post a brand brand new post. You don't have to say that's my same problem.
    We have seen it before a hundred times. It's most likely your fault because you haven't personally opened the hood in 6 years.
    Tell us the year of the car
    How many miles
    If there's dash lights lit it's a modern car it is logging codes that will tell you what's wrong with it.
    Get those codes read. Most auto parts stores cannot read hybrid codes. So please don't say dash lights are on but there's no codes. Without those codes decoded it's all guesses and supposition and the way things are going now on this site most likely a fist fight.

Open the hood,
    Check the engine oil.
    Check the inverter coolant
    Check the radiator overflow reservoir.
    Check the brake fluid level.
    Check to see you still have a fan belt.
    Check to see if the engine is on fire.

All that checking takes 30 seconds. You know......make believe you actually give a shit.

And lastly are you the original owner and has the car been in an accident and is it a salvage title
    And keep it brief. We don't need to know you dropped your wife off at her mothers house and then went to the store for milk and then came home and then later the car was dead when you had to pick your wife up.

The car won't start for the love of god.

Thank you.

#19 edthefox5, Aug 12, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
    knettle3 and cyberpriusII like this.
  20. cyberpriusII

cyberpriusII Prodigyplace says I'm Super Kris

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You don't? Sometimes I tend to do that -- I think I am easily distracted. :whistle:

But, as said, if you having no drive-ability issues that could give at least a clue, it's pretty difficult for anyone to come up with answers. And, I agree that someone should have just basically told you what that Icon meant, but then again it seems mysterious that you could look up all the other "codes" and not find that one. Whatever....

Jerry basically said it Anna, we're a pretty friendly bunch here (with a couple possible exceptions), and we try hard to help new people. We're incredibly patient with obvious questions that are easily answered with a quick look in the manual. I've been the recipient of that kind of grace myself.\

Anyway, without any obvious symptoms, there is not a lot to go on without the trouble codes. I guess if it were me, and I did not have access to a proper code reader for the Prius, I would try to have someone check the 12v battery. If that looked good, I would either take it in or buy a Mini-VCI, which I think has been suggested in your other post as well as this post.

And yes, the double post confuses the issue anyway.

Good luck,
    Kris

#20 cyberpriusII, Aug 12, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
    jerrymildred likes this.