1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help! I'm falling off the wagon!

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by David Beale, Jan 13, 2011.

1. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Well you could always visit me for awhile and drive my FJ. With the factory studded Nokian winter tires and 600 lbs of traction sand in the cargo area, 4H isn't even needed

2. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    How about a Ford Explorer Hybrid? Better clearance and still over 30mpg. Kind of expensive to use just a few days a year though. I used to have a Subaru Outback, which was a great car to drive in snowstorms here in Chicago, all of about 6 days a winter. Couldn't justify that.

Living in Duluth (MN) I remember seeing a jacked-up Gremlin on huge tires. Funniest looking thing ever (funny looking to start with). Maybe you could do something like that with your Prius?? Somebody slap me for saying that.

3. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    From 1974 to 1988 I drove a CJ-5 Jeep in rural Minnesota and North Dakota. I got stuck frequently because I thought I could go anywhere. I did a lot of shoveling. I have no desire to re-live those days! In 1988 I bought a Civic, and never once got stuck!

4. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Further update. Well, it finally stopped snowing! That was 10 days of snow. A metre worth. Now, some may say that's not that much. Well, guess what. It won't melt until April depending on global warming, of course. So now I have 2 metre high piles everywhere, with two more months of winter to go! I wonder if I'll need to use a step ladder to shovel the next pile. ;)

So far, Pearl has not been stuck. But I've been very careful lately about when I go out. And where. Remarkably, even though the Nokian WRs are three years old with 50,000+ km on them they still provide good traction.

But I'm still tempted by the FJ. ;) Perhaps I just want to keep Alberta's economy going by burning lots of gasoline.

5. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    This is my story completely, except I started in 1972 and the location was northern Michigan. I've never been stuck more often or more completely than I was in that Jeep. It could really go through a lot, but we asked it to do more than a lot.

Tom

6. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    We use bucket loaders to move the snow. You could always buy one of those instead of the FJ. ;)

Edit: I just took this photo from my office window, showing one of the village loaders working the snow:

[​IMG]

Tom

Attached Files:

7. David Beale

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Well, you didn't help me well enough!
    I went into a local Toyota dealer and they wouldn't let me leave without an FJ Cruiser.
    Relax, I still have Pearl. She will be my main transportation.
    The FJ (Bruiser) is for off-pavement trips, some winter use, and some levity.
    Bruiser uses three times the fuel that Pearl does. And he wants premium! OUCH!
    So welcome the "new Anti-Prius".
    Talk about "so 20th Century". I actually have to get the key fob out and press a button to unlock him, and -insert- the key in the dash to start him up!
    But we have ice on some local roads that is 10-15" thick. What a winter!
    With Bruiser I don't have to watch the road like a hawk for discontinuities that would take out Pearls lower extremities. ;)
    Don't like the traction control of a Prius? Bruiser doesn't have that problem! It's more like I have to be very careful to not take off too fast!

But I still prefer driving Pearl. Bruiser is just fun (and very wasteful).

So now you know. I'm going to join GAA (gasoholics anonymous).

8. Zhe Wiz

Zhe Wiz Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I certainly can't blame you, I'll join too! We were a 2 Prius family until I ran into a couple TC issues and the lease ran out on one of them. Replaced it with a Subie. Hate that it sucks gas, hate that I'll have to do brakes in a couple years, but LOVE that I can get through snow and gravel again. Like you, we don't drive it unless we have to, most of the work goes to the Prius, Subie is off road, bad road, snowy road, have-to-use-it situations.

Zhe Wiz

9. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Did you consider moving to a warmer climate? Like, Vancouver? :p

10. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    David

Ok, I want all the details: year, equipment, etc. I'd suggest you join the FJ Cruiser Forum, but I can quickly get you up to speed on what to do with your FJ

First of all, the FJ does NOT require premium! The '07 and some 08 had the sticker, dealerships received TSB to state that regular was just fine. Premium is used to achieve the stated HP and torque figures

To me it doesn't matter if my FJ uses 3 times the fuel. Last month I put 90 km on it, and my FJ is my only vehicle!

We'll discuss the importance of changing the gear oil in that rear axle, why the differential lock sometimes sticks, and how fun - as in difficult - it will be to change the gear oil in the front axle

Oh, changing the spark plugs is easier than it looks. I have posted How To photos at the FJ forum.

jay

11. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Rear axle fluid is easy to change

[​IMG]

Transfer case is so easy no need to post a photo

Front axle is a wee bit of a challenge. You can barely see the fill plug for the front axle in the line between flash and shadow

[​IMG]

12. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Passenger side plugs are very easy once you remove the air cleaner housing

[​IMG]

Driver side plugs are ok once you remove the brackets I'm pointing to

[​IMG]

What else? Since your climate is the same as Manitoba, wouldn't hurt to clean the MAF and the TB.

13. twittel

twittel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Bet you can buy an FJ Cruiser pretty, gosh darn cheap right now. I guess that's telling you something. And in the summer, you could use your FJ as a raised veggie garden. By golly, that FJ just keeps on giving! LOL...:D

14. David Beale

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Well, Bruiser is a 2007, same as Pearl. All service is done up-to-date, and I purchased the extended warranty (3 years). I've done the diff and xfer case oil before on my other "SUV's" ( rant on - there's NOTHING "sporty" about a TWO METRIC TONNE vehicle!!!). It's an off road vehicle, and if it's a wagon then it's a 4WD wagon. I wish the yuppies would just go away! (rant off) ;)
    I wanted the "off road package", but this one is just a "base" I think, with automatic. I joined the FJ Cruiser forum.
    There's an auxiliary fuel tank (19 US Gallons) that I'm pining for, from Manafee in the US. That would double the fuel carrying capacity. I -might- eventually get a winch and winch bumper. I kind of worked that out of my system when I had the FJ40 years ago.

Did I mention this thing is POWERFUL!
    Today I used Pearl to go across town. I kept checking to see if the parking brake was on! :)

Now I'm waiting for the weather to warm up so I can install:-
    An amateur radio (Icom 2820 with D-STAR).
    A GPS (Garmin 2460 with Bluetooth for my phone).
    An indoor/outdoor thermometer (Radio Shack).

That should bring Bruiser into the 21st century.

Going to fill up again today. Will try regular. Hmm, half a tank in one week and 200 km. Pearl is looking prettier every day. ;)

15. twittel

twittel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Sounds like you and Bruiser plan on the world being taken over by Aliens. In that case, I'd say Bruiser was a great, end of days purchase!

16. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Ok so a base model 2007 FJ won't have side impact and head curtain airbags, the rear diff lock, or A-TRAC. I paid extra for my Package "C" which includes all of that

Don't believe the owner manual that claims premium gas needed, or that the rear diff requires a straight SAE 90 gear oil above -18 C and 80W-90 below.

A TSB came out in late 2007 that now requires a special synthetic Toyota 75W-85 (No that is not a typo, it really is 75W-85) gear oil to be used in the front and rear axles

I'd demand proof the axles were serviced, and especially with the recommended gear oil. Have to warn you the Toyota stuff is really expensive, like +$20 a litre at some dealerships

I use a synthetic heavy duty 75W-90

Mobil Canada | Heavy Duty Engine Oils | Rear Axle | Mobil Delvac Gear Oil Lubricant 75W-90#

I have the same screen name at FjCruiserforums. Look me up sometime

17. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    jayman, not FJman? ;)

18. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
  19. David Beale

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Actually the diffs and transfer case fluids were changed a few thousand km before the previous owner traded it in (as marked in the maintenance book) by Lube City. Then the dealer, without looking at the book, changed them before selling it. I have the printouts of the service record. I say they didn't look at the book in the car because they didn't mark in it the service they did (such as engine oil and filter, spark plugs, etc). That's why I got the printouts, as I thought I had a lot of service to do to "catch up".

Filled it up with fuel and Scangauge installed this morning, along with an inside/outside temp gauge. I'll be depressed now while driving it. ;) That tank calculated to 18 l/100 km. All city driving in -20C average temps. Little idling. I guess that's not -too- bad. :( In the same conditions, Pearl got around 6 l/100 km. Yup, three times as much fuel consumed!

20. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    At a certain point, we just have to assume the gear oil was changed properly. The '07's have weak rear axles, I like to change the rear axle gear oil every fall

It usually drains medium brown. Front axle and TC, left in for 2 years and about 20,000 km, drained clear and looked like new fluid.

As far as fuel economy, that sounds about right given the conditions. I don't even think about it, as I'm well on track to only putting 2,500 km on my FJ this year

I need to leave the Battery Minder plugged in all the time for a good reason