1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help I'm locked out blew fuse

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Esterbrookangela2, Apr 7, 2023.

1. Esterbrookangela2

Esterbrookangela2 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    2008 Prius,..VSC light came on and then my dome light security system my doors wouldn't unlock or lock and dome light and I think that's all wouldn't work so I finally figured out it was a fuse replace the fuse and it blew again within just seconds then I unplugged my auxiliary cord and thought that fixed it guess not because now my doors are locked and my red security light that blinks usually is not blinking so now I can't get into my car and don't know what to do please can someone help me figure this out I'm totally unsure of what to do .​

2. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    You can still open the door with the emergency metal key stored inside your electronic key.

Don't replace the fuse again until you know what caused it to blow.

3. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The key is released by sliding the lock on the top of the fob. You can see it poking out at the bottom of this pic.

Prius Gen 2 Key FOB.jpg

4. Esterbrookangela2

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Don't have the mechanical key I forgot to add that. ..

5. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Do you have AAA membership or some other roadside assistance program?

6. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I've had AAA for over 30 years, I find that it's still worth the membership fee.
    I haven't used it for my own vehicles in over 25 years because I try really REALLY hard to 'be lucky' by doing my own maintenance where possible and doing things like spare tire checks, having a jump starter/cables, and always being able to get into my car if I'm locked out.

HOWEVER (comma!) I did use if last year on my recently acquired work truck, and I found that the 'pump and pull' method (pictured above) works well for those wanting to DIY. I think that America's favorite bargain-barn of tools even carries them.
    I can report that a metal coat hanger will serve in lieu of the fancy plasticky single purpose tool.

Since El Fato likes to play tricks on smug people like me, I still have the AAA....and besides, people generally get locked out of their vehicles when they're away from home.
    Still.....knowing how to get into a car sans key will continue to be a valuable life skill - even when metal keys are supplanted by phones and fobs.
    I mean.....people NEVER lose those, right?
    AND...they never break.......

#6 ETC(SS), Apr 7, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2023
  7. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Yeah I wouldn't have any problem getting into my '08 either No problem at all of course when I buy these things I make sure I get at least one key fob and metal key in it that work the given car that I'm buying I try to get two but I will take one if I have to usually the other one is in there junk drawer in the house in the kitchen they just forgot about it sometimes they go look and they oh yeah it was in there and they bring it out and then I have two You don't have either and that's that so you're going to be using a slim Jim to try and unlock the door or not If it's a junky car and you don't care about it you can go over to the passenger door and stick a heavy screwdriver in the lock and just bend the door down yeah it'll put some ripples in it and what have you but you know it doesn't matter it doesn't matter. As far as the fuse blowing I don't know whether you're running an inverter or what kind of electronic equipment you're running but usually it's the add-on equipment and cords that are causing a direct fused short like you're getting instantaneously replace the fuse and it blows immediately That's a dead run to ground type short generally speaking I would suspect everything but the car first usually these cars 20 years old don't have electrical problems like that It's usually something that's been added to the vehicle by the consumer.

8. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    So you only have one fob with no mechanical key? And it does not unlock the car?

What is the "auxiliary" cord? The red light is normal security system.

You may need a door unlock tool kit and someone who knows how to use it. 21E9670C-6FE6-4B25-AB45-86D0171A4584.jpeg

9. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Can you please provide additional information for the above.

10. Esterbrookangela2

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I do not unfortunately..something I should look into for sure

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    and get a jump pack as well. what are you going to do about the fuse?

12. Esterbrookangela2

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I had an auxillary cord plugged in so that I could listen to my music on my phone through the radio..I noticed when I plug my phone charger to my phone when aux cord is plugged into my phone as well ....it makes a really bad static like sound ..maybe even like a feed back sound ...so I figure that I had better unplug both ...

13. Esterbrookangela2

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Heck I don't even know where to begin ....

bisco likes this.
  14. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    On the subject of the fuse, which fuse did you find was blown?

15. priusrecon

priusrecon Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

That's not actually a problem.
    You're just hearing the rectifier signal of your phone charger coming through the radio. Either listen to your phone music or charge your phone, but not both at the same time.

Other trick, 1st thing I do whenever I get a car is make several copies of the keys and stash them around the house and yard, including one up in the chassis of the car itself....so it is impossible for me to be locked outside of my car, anywhere, even when on the road.

16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I bury one in a tin by the big oak tree in my backyard

17. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I think too and if this was my vehicle I would take out the I think it's the passenger door lock cylinder if you have the inner door panel off sometimes you can take a magnifying mirror and stick it up next to the door lock cylinder and get the numbers off the side of the cylinder then any key place just about can take that number and cut you a metal key even if it doesn't fit in your fob at least you can stick it in the door and just leave it there and take it with you whenever you need to manually lock up the car because of you're not going to be in front of it or the criminal element is in effect where you are and other than that it'll be a regular Toyota headed key and you can just leave it in the door till you get out close your door you see the stupid thing sticking out of the cylinder You pull it and drop it in your pocket off you go when you come back put it in the door open the door leave the key in the cylinder It will not fall out I don't care how much spirited driving you doing the Prius the key will not fall out of the door even if it's a Corolla key blank stuck in the Prius door with no cuts on it It will not fall out of the cylinder onto the ground even slamming the door It will still stay there I can vouch for this personally now if you leave it there and walk off the criminal element can come up and enter your car obviously so you want to make sure you take it with you when you do go and if you're worried about getting carjacked and you're living in that kind of area then obviously you'll want to take the key out even when you're driving the car in traffic obviously or maybe you don't mind that kind of confrontation. Gun toter all that sort of thing.

18. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It's super easy to remove the cylinder (when the door is open ;)) and read the number off it, no fussing with the inner door panel or mirrors or what not.

JohnPrius3005 likes this.
  19. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Well that's a nice feature in a Corolla You going to take the inner door panel off I do believe you can't get the lock cylinder out of the plastic door handle or what have you I haven't looked on the Prius to see how this is assembled because I tried to buy them with keys and all of that and then go from there with failures if there are any so far none.

20. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I'd be pretty surprised if it's not the same in a similar-vintage Corolla.