1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help in buying a 2012 Toyota Prius 3

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by kwailau, Mar 9, 2012.

1. kwailau

kwailau New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hi there,

I'm looking to purchase a Toyota Prius 3 in the San Francisco Bay Area and would appreciate any helpful advice that I can get.

I've made a few inquiries from the Costco Car Buying program through a local dealer (Piercey Toyota) and got a verbal offer of $500 off invoice price for the base Prius 3.

The invoice price that I have from Edmunds is $24,559.00 which will bring the offer to $24,059.00. Good deal?

The salesman did say that their selections are low right now because of the increasing gas prices. I'm not sure what the inventory levels are right now.

Anyways, I would greatly appreciate any helpful insights and recommendations that you guys have to share (especially in the South Bay!).

Thanks!
    Kwai

2. kwailau

kwailau New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    OK, it looks like the invoice price at the dealership is not the same as the one listed on Edmunds.

They told me that the invoice price for the Prius 3 is: $25,367. Edmund's is $24,559.00 which is $808 less.

Not sure if they are artificially jacking up their invoice price...

3. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Three sticker price should be $26.5k with carpet mats. It's possible to get $2.5k off, but not easy. Seems 24.7 to 25 before TTL more doable.

For ref, the toyosun is showing $25,172 as their price for Three w/o solar these days. That's with carpet mats.

4. kwailau

kwailau New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thank you! It looks like the best offer I have right now is $24,900.00.

5. TomDac

TomDac Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    We bought both our Toyotas from SF Toyota and dealt with Sammy Lee. He's a great guy. Tell him Tom & Kerry sent you.

6. Caydoc

Caydoc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I know a Prius II is a different deal, but I just bought a 2012 Sea Glass Pearl, with carpet mats and Katzkin leather, for 23,900, including destination charge. FWIW.

7. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    The dealer price may include any port and/or dealer installed options. You need to look at the monroney sticker to verify exactly how it's equipped...

8. kwailau

kwailau New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thank you all! We got the Prius 3 from Piercey Toyota in Milpitas for $24,867.00 which includes the destination price. The Costco representative Jojo Francisco basically told us that this is $500 below invoice if you factor in the destination charge.

There wasn't any wiggle room in terms of negotiating prices. Many of the Prius were sold before they arrive in the lot. Ours will come in 6 days.

The buying experience was pleasant. We didn't feel pressured and Jojo was patient with answering all of our questions before we decided to buy.

We visited Stevens Creek Toyota on Friday and were a little intimidated by all the salesmen standing around waiting to pounce on the first one to step on their lots.

Thanks again! Looking forward to getting the car!

9. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Congrats.

Piercey is a good dealer. I have had great experiences with their service dept, especially with Dexter in their dept.

10. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yep.
    Don't know. Per Edmunds (using 95136 zip code), '12 Prius Three w/carpet floor and cargo mat set (usually forced onto you) invoices as $24,699 including $760 destination charge.

11. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The difference is likely due to ad fees, and yes, they are legitimate. These fees often add several hundred bucks.

MB860 ?

12. gsodonis

gsodonis Recent Hybrid Convert

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Tomorrow, we're picking up our new 2012 Blizzard Pearl Prius III in East TN. Prices here are all over the map. Some dealers are asking sticker price, most are marking them up. Typical markup is around 2K. One dealer figures that his Prii are made of gold as his are marked up around 6K.

Drawing a 200 mile radius around our house (to include Knoxville, Atlanta, Chattanooga, Asheville, Nashville and all points in between) I looked up 12 -15 different dealer websites and recorded their asking prices, doc prep fees, options and any other add-ons that might affect price to come up with a list of out-the-door pricing. Just as I was about to call it a night, I stumbled across a left over 2011 near Atlanta with a $3000 Discount off msrp.

I called them first thing yesterday only to find out that they sold it that day (I expected that). However, the sales manager got on the phone to tell me he'd match it on any other left over 2011. I asked for his best price on a 2012 III while I was at it and he must have been in a good mood because he quoted me 24,900 with no doc fees or add ons, just tax tag and title.

We were prepared to drive 180 miles to get this deal, but ened up finding a better one locally. My wife had to run some errands and while out, she stopped by the largest dealer in our area (with a general 2K Prius markup as a starting point) to decide on a color combo. While in their showroom, a salesman asked if he could show here a car, but she honestly explained that all she was doing was looking at colors and that we had already found a great deal that we didn't think anyone locally would match. He asked a chance and we gave it to him.

Armed with my spreadsheet, I drove to meet my wife and show the sales manager my best found offer. He said he'd match the price, but would not budge on the $489 doc fee. I was about to draw a line in the sand but the deal sheet showed that I was about to get Blizzard Pearl, floor mats, lit door sills, rear bumper applique, pin stripes and paint protection (I know, it's just fancy car wax) thrown in! which more than offset the doc fee.

The cherry on top is that this dealership offers a no cost lifetime powertrain warranty to the original purchaser of any one of their new or CPO cars (which would explain the 2K markup on all of their cars). Considering that my wife and I have kept our last new cars 11 and 15 years, we will certainly keep the Prius long enough to take advantage of this warranty.

That's my story on how we got a White 2012 Prius III with some nice options for 24,900 plus TTL (plus $489 doc fee, but with enough options to more than offset that fee.) And I didn't have to drive 360 miles round trip to get it.

Good luck to all in your searches. Knowledge is power. Drive your best deal using the phone and the internet and then give your favorite local dealer a chance at your best offer - you might be pleasantly surprised like we were.

I'll post pics once I have permission as this is my first one as a first time Prius Owner :D

13. mickey513

mickey513 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Don't be fool by the invoice being showed to you by the car sales person. When I bought my 2011 from a local Bay Area Toyota dealership, I was showed a invoice price print out that was way off from what I found on Official Kelley Blue Book Values You Can Trust From kbb.com - Kelley Blue Book

The dealer said I was getting quote and quote close to $3k off but when I priced it against kbb.com, it was about $2k off. We went back and forth and finally agreed on a price that accurately reflected what I want. I have lost count of the number of new cars I purchased online but have always used Official Kelley Blue Book Values You Can Trust From kbb.com - Kelley Blue Book as my price guide and it has always been accurate to the penny (invoice & msrp)