1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help interpreting error codes, clearing codes, DTC, MFD, RED TRIANGLE

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by trowtmaniac, Mar 28, 2021.

1. trowtmaniac

trowtmaniac New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Hi everyone,
    i love the prius, dying to get up and running to hit that 50mpg .. please help. maybe someone can help translate or send a link so i can read up on the specific trouble codes..

just got 2009 Prius with 130k miles.
    would not start when bought. got it back to my house, cleared the codes then prius ran and drove perfectly, gas motor turns on+HV battery worked/charged looked normal while driving -except: every time after shutting off and trying to restart codes immediately come back and wont start unless cleared again.
    1 week later sitting in driveway, 12v battery died and now codes wont clear. put in new 12v battery and still no luck.

all dash lights are on red triangle abs srs also the gas bar is flashing at 1 bar-yes there is over half tank. PROBLEM and beep on mfd when i try to clear.

codes are listed as follows:
    before delete:
    c2300 actuator system malfunction
    c2318 low voltage error(power supply malfunction
    c1241 low or high power supply voltage
    c1310 1.active booster solenoid 2. HV system Malfunction
    c1259 hv system regenerative Malfunction
    c1378

Current:
    c1310 1.active booster solenoid 2. HV system Malfunction
    c1259 hv system regenerative Malfunction

advanced/specific codes:
    LAN Monitor EMV

Code

01- DA

01- DC

01- D5

01 - DB

01 - DB

Sub Code

178- OE- 5

190 - 20 - 2

190 - 43- D

110 - F1- F

190 - A7- F

Code

01 - DB

Sub Code

178 - 85- F

=============================

Attached Files:

#1 trowtmaniac, Mar 28, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2021
  2. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to PriusChat!!

Which OBD2 device are you using to scan for the posted OBD2 codes (DTCs) ?

3. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    You likely have a P0AA6 code that isn't showing up on your scanner. It's an HV system voltage leak and is the only DTC that will allow you to continue to drive, but then lock you out once you shut the car off. The only way to get the car to start again would be to clear the codes. If the leak is in the HV Battery and bad enough, the code will trigger immediately when the car powers up and won't even let you get to ready condition.

This is usually caused by electrolyte leakage in the HV battery. Also caused many times by a small crack in the plastic housing of a battery module that allows electrolyte to make contact with a mounting bolt under the module. Quick way to find out is to take a voltage reading between the battery case and each of the main relay terminals on the battery side of the main relays. Just remember to use electrical precautions.

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    1. Most of your codes from "before delete" probably indicated that the 12 volt battery voltage got way low at some point, so if you've taken care of that, deleting them was probably the right move.

2. Both of the current codes you're seeing, C1310 and C1259, are codes from the brake/skid ECU telling you that it knows the Hybrid Vehicle ECU has codes you should look at. That you are not seeing the HV ECU codes at the same time means you are using a code reader that knows there is a brake ECU but doesn't know there is an HV ECU. TMR-JWAP probably has a good guess what the code that you're not seeing is. If you had a code reader that knew about all the ECUs in a Prius, you would see it.

3. "active booster solenoid" is a search hit on what the fortune cookie for C1310 would be in some other completely different car. That illustrates the pitfalls of using web searches to find the fortune cookies for codes. You are better advised to look in the repair manual (more info). Also, once you've got the manual, it's best to pretty much ignore the fortune cookies entirely, which are too abbreviated to tell you much, and instead just go by exactly what the manual tells you the detection condition for the code is, and how to figure out what caused it.

4. Don't sweat the "LAN monitor EMV" codes on the MFD. You can only get codes about the infotainment stuff there. Someday when you've got the basic car functions up to snuff and you decide you care about infotainment codes, you can go back and poke at those then.

5. trowtmaniac

trowtmaniac New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    hi thank you,.. harbor freight zr13..only because i couldnt wait to order something betteronline,,

6. trowtmaniac

trowtmaniac New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    ---
    awesome thank you that is valuable info- that gives me a starting point , i will keep you guys updated as soon as i have a chance to inspect. i also didnt hear the usual fan noise when driving.

--that takes alot of worry off the platter, thank you.

#6 trowtmaniac, Mar 28, 2021
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2021
  7. trowtmaniac

trowtmaniac New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    update.. so looks like some corrosion and some cell pairs are showing around 13v instead of 15.3...

Attached Files: